Old 24-12-2013, 02:10 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Tak makes it tough to improvise

I'm looking at ways to use one of my CCDs to do just Ha with my FSQ85 and FS60 but can't see any Tak adapters or parts that allow a 2 inch round mounted filter to be used without all the added weight of a full FW. Anyone found a way?
Peter
Old 24-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

Hi Peter,
If you contact Claude Voarino at AEC, he can put you onto a guy who can custom make parts and adapters at apparently reasonable prices
Old 24-12-2013, 05:39 AM
gbeal

I did Peter, with the FSQ I am selling. I got annoyed with the 2" nose-piece slopping in the draw-tube, and decided to utilise one of the screw on extension tubes that fits the rear of the CAA. I got a "cap" spun for the camera end, and produced a T thread to attach the camera. That sorted the slop.
On the inside I glued a 48mm filter ring, without the filter of course. This then means I can screw a filter to the inside, in my case a LP filter, but it could easily be an Ha filter.
Yes, a bit of mucking about, but it works OK. The next owner will love me for it, LOL.
Gary
Old 24-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Paul Haese

Precise Parts. They can make any adapter with precision. Don't bother with Claude.
Old 25-12-2013, 09:33 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Precise Parts. .
Thanks for the suggestions but Precise Parts have taken more of my hard-earned in 2013 than the Tax Office. So I was hoping for a solution that might be offering without buying yet another anonymous piece of black aluminum.

Best solution so far is to use a smaller filter and screw a 1 1/4" job into the nose of one of those small guide camera nosecones that fit an eyepiece holder. That would be OK for a modest-sized sensor but perhaps less so for biggies. I have an ATIK LE4000 which has a 15x15mm sensor that would be fine. Whether my Apogee Alta U8300 would work is not so certain. They're the standard 8300-size sensor at 13.5 x 18mm so it could get by - just.

How much easier it would all be if there were a standard Tak adapter that would take a 2"nosepiece.

Peter
Old 25-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Pete, I had a tak 2" occular for the FS102 2.7 inch focuser. I think I got the part number from the sky90 chart. I got a camera adapter off ebay that screwed to the back of the fs60 flattener and presented a male t-thread for $2. Can't remember if the back of the fs60 is M51 or M52, I just remember it was an odd size.
Old 27-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Jfinis (Jim)

Adapter

Hi Peter,
I can make the adapter for you at a reasonable price
What I require is more information on exactly what you need
I prefer to have the parts sent to me that way I can make sure that threads are a perfect fit
To stop any sag/droop between the Focuser and camera you can't beat screw on adapters at both ends

I live in Adelaide and have made quite a few adapters for Claude from AEC

Regards
Jim
Old 27-12-2013, 10:18 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

With my FS78, I found that the draw tube end bit (for want of a better description) of the ED80 fitted the Tak perfectly, allowing me to use all my regular 2" gear with it.
Don't know if this info is of any help in your situation though.
Old 28-12-2013, 04:57 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinis View Post
Hi Peter,
I can make the adapter for you at a reasonable price
What I require is more information on exactly what you need
I prefer to have the parts sent to me that way I can make sure that threads are a perfect fit
To stop any sag/droop between the Focuser and camera you can't beat screw on adapters at both ends

I live in Adelaide and have made quite a few adapters for Claude from AEC

Regards
Jim
Hi Jim and thanks for your info. I'll work out some dimensions and drop you a PM or email if you prefer as soon as my CCD (which is in the States being refurbished) gets back.
Peter
Old 28-12-2013, 04:58 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
With my FS78, I found that the draw tube end bit (for want of a better description) of the ED80 fitted the Tak perfectly, allowing me to use all my regular 2" gear with it.
Don't know if this info is of any help in your situation though.
G'day Jeanette. now that is good to know. Until this heat backs off, all this is a bit academic though.
Peter