Old 12-12-2017, 12:28 PM
glend (Glen)

ASI1600MM-C Servicing

So i have started to have some fan vibration issues with my 1600MM-C camera, the fan has visible dust building up and the fan guard is rusting, and the USB3 port on the camera is a bit loose. The vibration was so bad last night that i could feel it through the guidescope, so it was transmitting through the APO. This camera was one of the first delivered by Bintel (late May 2016) and it has a lot of hours on it, considering all the subs i have shot. I think it needs a service. I rang Don at Bintel and he suggested sending it back to him and then he will send it on to ZWO, but obviously in the new year now given Christmas.

Has anyone returned a 1600 for service? Was there a cost involved considering they are all still under warranty?
I could probably take the back off and clean the fan blades, but the guard still should be replaced and i would want the USB3 port replaced as well. Anyone doing their own servicing?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:34 PM
SteveInNZ

I had problems with mine and after a screen share to confirm that the problem was with the camera, they sent an RMA and I sent it back for repair.
They had it for four weeks.

Steve.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Glen, if you decide to do anything yourself make sure it does not void the warranty.

You may be able to blow the dust out with compressed air, just make sure you don't let the fan spin too fast or it may damage the bearings.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Glen, if you decide to do anything yourself make sure it does not void the warranty.

You may be able to blow the dust out with compressed air, just make sure you don't let the fan spin too fast or it may damage the bearings.
Yeah i have thought about it, you know me, i don't mind getting stuck into camera mods. But the smart thing to do is to return it to Bintel and Don sends it to Sam at ZWO. Its still under warranty i think (2 years). I know i will have to pay shipping but beyond rhat i can't say what their policy is on servicing.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Yeah i have thought about it, you know me, i don't mind getting stuck into camera mods.
That's why I said to watch out for the warranty

Maybe email ZWO and see what they say and how long it will it take.