Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2017, 04:03 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

CGEM belt mod

Just wondering if anyone has done this? and if it hasn't been done before, why not? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 04:40 PM
casstony

I don't think the belt mod will achieve much. The critical part is the worm and ring gear - better to save the money towards a higher quality mount in future rather than make a minor improvement (if any) to the CGEM. I haven't replaced the saddle on mine for the same reason; the one it has works well enough so keep the money for future equipment (eg. CGX, SXP).
Old 08-06-2017, 10:38 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

I've got a reasonably new CGEM. It was quite sticky in RA and hard to balance. I was hesitant about fiddling with it and was considering the hypertune kit (but it costs a lot for what you seem to get).

So a few weeks ago I pulled it apart, cleaned, polished and re-greased with superlube. Its better now - I can actually balance it; guiding might be marginally better (although I haven't has a lot of time to test this fully - and I'm a bit of a noob at guiding).

After doing that I'd have to agree with casstony, don't consider a belt mod. Try and adjust it, or move on to a better mount.
- I don't think the cogs from the motor contribute much to backlash. Its quite simple to adjust their position so they mesh well.
- Most of the backlash seems to come from the worm gear. That can be adjusted to some extent.
- And there seems to be quite a lot of backlash in the motor gearbox (inside the motor casing - but I didn't pull that apart).

If anyone has other thoughts on improving these beasts ?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Hi Chris,
Is there a difference between just regreasing/polishing everything and the hypertune? and how much difference does the ceramic bearing make? and even tho my mount is sticky in RA im not sure if i should take it apart (if it aint broke, dont fix it!) Thanks!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

As far as I can tell the hyperfine is just re-greasing and polishing. But with proper instructions provided. Plus there's an option for the ceramic bearings (which not everyone seems to take up). I don't know how much difference they make. And if it ain't broke don't fiddle. I tuned up as I found it impossible to balance the scope because it was so sticky.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Just wondering chris, with my mount to balance i have found that i need to actually push the mount and feel which way is easier to balance. how much would i be looking at to do a regrease, and how hard/risky is it? i only got my mount so i dont exactly want to be taking it apart unless necessary.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:38 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

A bottle of degreaser and a tube of superlube. About $20? And a lot of patience and nerve if it's a new mount.

Having said that I'd hold off. I don't think I have improved my mount performance dramatically. Before I did same as you - gave it a push to see which way it travelled further/faster to get balance.

Which axis is sticky? I took pics as I disassembled so can send you what I did and what was scary.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Hi chris, it is the ra axis. but i do think that i will hold off for now as it doesnt really make a difference right now (currently unguided, but hopefully not for long)
Old 14-06-2017, 12:56 PM
ZL4PLM (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
As far as I can tell the hyperfine is just re-greasing and polishing. But with proper instructions provided. Plus there's an option for the ceramic bearings (which not everyone seems to take up). I don't know how much difference they make. And if it ain't broke don't fiddle. I tuned up as I found it impossible to balance the scope because it was so sticky.
removing the ceramic bearing is an option.

the hypertune kit is a number of bearing sets n the tools needed to do it

all the posts n reviews i have read have had v positive results

im just waiting on a sec hand cgem to arrive n will see if i do mine too

some of the reviews have found horrible scoring, pitting and even metal shavings in their mounts

plus the renown horrible sticky grease

ill see how mine plays out but its on my list of jobs!

cheers

simon