Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

The popular duo

Looks like this region will be getting a work out over the coming months as it rises higher in the sky to photograph. This is my effort from last night and not wanting to waste another New moon, I was determined to get out there and have a go. There was cloud drifting past but plenty of breaks to grab a few subs in between. I only had time to do 20 subs at 1 minute exposure after I had stuffed around setting up and waiting for the Lagoon and Triffid to climb to a reasonable altitude. Adding to this, windy conditions and dew cut my session short and despite trying to shield the scope from the wind with my body , I had to ditch half the subs due to bad tracking.

So here's the result : 10 x 1min subs @ 1600 iso f 5.5, modded Canon 550d with a CLS CCD Astronomik Eos Clip filter on a SW Esprit 100 unguided on an HEQ5 pro mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Triffid&LagoonEsprit100.jpg)
204.9 KB77 views
Old 27-05-2017, 11:19 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Nice pairing Michael. Looks really good!
Old 31-05-2017, 07:09 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Looks like this region will be getting a work out over the coming months as it rises higher in the sky to photograph. This is my effort from last night and not wanting to waste another New moon, I was determined to get out there and have a go. There was cloud drifting past but plenty of breaks to grab a few subs in between. I only had time to do 20 subs at 1 minute exposure after I had stuffed around setting up and waiting for the Lagoon and Triffid to climb to a reasonable altitude. Adding to this, windy conditions and dew cut my session short and despite trying to shield the scope from the wind with my body , I had to ditch half the subs due to bad tracking.

So here's the result : 10 x 1min subs @ 1600 iso f 5.5, modded Canon 550d with a CLS CCD Astronomik Eos Clip filter on a SW Esprit 100 unguided on an HEQ5 pro mount.

started this just last new moon too, as is usual i whack the iso up to centre the pairing with 10 sec exposures, when i was happy rattled off 30 or 40 subs
i (usually) always check the first sub to make sure of everything, but did not..................... 40 effin subs at iso 6400 at 2.15 miniute each!, my night was gone
this is the first time i have been able to talk about it!!
pat
Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Pat, I feel your pain but the Lagoon and Triffid aren't going away anytime soon. You'll get another opportunity I'm sure and we all learn by our mistakes. I do think, however, there are less New Moons than Full Moons!!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:23 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Pat, I feel your pain but the Lagoon and Triffid aren't going away anytime soon. You'll get another opportunity I'm sure and we all learn by our mistakes. I do think, however, there are less New Moons than Full Moons!!
haha too right michael!............ but we also have to contend with possible cloud in new moon and now government burn offs ffs!!
pat
Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 PM
johnyb (John)

I know how you feel Pat. I'm sure we all have a similar story to tell. I can't see triffid yet because of trees. And those damn clouds are a pain in the back side.

I am getting withdrawal symptoms at the moment.
So much so that I have racked up some time on I telescope and hope to get M51 from Mexico this morning.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I love the colour in this. Nice work.