Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-05-2017, 04:47 PM
jman17

Where to buy a dew shield for DSLR?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a dew shield for a Nikon D3100 DSLR with an 18-55mm Nikkor lens to use on a fixed tripod. They seem to be pretty hard to find so does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy one and what type I should look for to avoid vignetting etc? I heard that a lens hood could help combat dew so would a lens hood do a decent job instead, if a dew shield is too hard to find?

Thanks,
jman17
Old 26-05-2017, 05:47 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman17 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to buy a dew shield for a Nikon D3100 DSLR with an 18-55mm Nikkor lens to use on a fixed tripod. They seem to be pretty hard to find so does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy one and what type I should look for to avoid vignetting etc? I heard that a lens hood could help combat dew so would a lens hood do a decent job instead, if a dew shield is too hard to find?

Thanks,
jman17
Simply make one out of flat black cardboard.

Should not have to worry about vignetting. Just don't make it smaller than your aperture.

Good luck!
Old 26-05-2017, 05:56 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

I suspect there are none made for camera lens but if you got a straight sided lens hood (as used for the sun) you could then simply roll a extended cardboard or if you wanted to use the right material buy a larger dew shield and cut it down to provide the required depth to give you a dew shield.
Old 27-05-2017, 09:46 AM
SA_Dolphin_22 (Tony)

Hi There, You can also make one from 'core flute'. It is what they make the lightweight signs from. Bunnings do have some black core flute in small sheets simply cut to size, look in the 'wood' section , why it's there I have no idea, cut the sheet to the size required and then slice the channels on the outside of your shield, fold into your round shield and then using some tape you can then tape it together. Also at the end it will lay flat so less of a storage problem..
Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 PM
jman17

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the useful advice. I will have a go at making my own. Is there a recommended length it will need to be past the lens glass for a Nikon D3100 DSLR like I am using, with a 52mm filter thread?

jman17
Old 04-06-2017, 08:20 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

I made one years ago for my dslr. I ran sheet through my laminator to get a somewhat flexible, but some what stiff piece of plastic that could be easily cut to shape. I then stuck a piece of adhesive felt to it and cut to desired shape. Then a little bit of adhesive Velcro hookto hold it in shape around the lens.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:22 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

A carton tube (POSTPACK) fromAUSPOST will fit a GSO8x50 finder and most lenses. Otherwise I use old socks wrapped on the lens.
Pay close attention to focus then tape the barrel length wise with a strip of electrical tape so it doesn't move.
Then get some Little Hotties from ebay. They last between 8h and 10h. Stick it between the lens and the sock and you won't dew up all night.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Lens hood should be on all times. I use Lens Coats but are probably worth more than your kit lens
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

If this is for astrophotography, it helps if you select a site that is NOT PRONE to having dew form:

Selecting a site for astronomy purposes

The dark site I frequent, dew has never been a problem. There have been many nights that our location was crystal clear and dry, but driving down into Katoomba the place was fog bound and sopping wet from dew. Would never have guessed this was the case at the obs site

For your immediate problem and for other occasions, I too second the suggestion of making your own dew shield. Made out of foam rubber tends to insulate a bit better too.

Alex.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:10 AM
jman17

Lens hood

Hi,

In regards to the lens hood, I am still trying to find a straight-sided one to fit my Nikkor 18-55mm lens but am having trouble finding one to fit it. Can anyone recommend somewhere that could sell me a suitable one? Like I said previously, it has a 52mm filter thread. All the shops I have contacted so far don't have a straight sided one that would fit my DSLR and can't get one in and it seems difficult to find one that fits. I will continue looking but thought someone could help.

jman17
Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 PM
DarkKnight (Kev)

Heard of eBay jman ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...+hood&_sacat=0 and scroll down.

If you want it in a hurry about twelve bucks local or the same item from Hong Kong for two bucks and will take a couple of weeks. Avoid mainland China sellers as it will take a month or longer to arrive.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 PM
JA

Hi Jman,

With an 18-55 mm lens I don't know that you'll get a very long dew shield especially if you are trying to maintain use at 18mm, BUT that issue aside, a Nikon 18-55mm should roughly suit a stubby holder, the neoprene /wetsuit rubber type, just cut the bottom out to suit, pack-out or stretch it as required, and depending on your focal length, you could move it up and down the lens for maximum coverage with out vignetting.

Your lens outer barrel diameter depending on which model 18-55mm is 64 to 66mm. I believe a stubby holder has a circa 60mm inner diameter, so good to go. Check 1st.

Have a drink too !!!

Best
JA