Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Astro tent for SPSP

Hi guys, trying to source one of these in Oz (the same). Any idea? Mine is on its last leg now after 10 years of loyal services. The UVs and weather got the best of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (astrotent.jpg)
40.6 KB142 views
Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 AM
glend (Glen)

I do mot believe there is a local source, and overseas supplies are hit and miss as they seem to sell in batches. You could try a local alternative and mod it, or get one more trip out of the old one (you can always throw a fly over jt you know). You should probably always have a fly over the astro tent anyway, when not in use for astronomy, as these syntethics do not stand up to UV for long.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:38 AM
h0ughy (David)

Used to be sold by Siruis Optics in Queensland a few years ago

And I know you have a tarp
Old 08-05-2017, 09:41 AM
h0ughy (David)

http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/gene...omy-tents.html
Old 08-05-2017, 12:06 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Thanks mate. That'll do nicely.

Yeah I still got your tarp. ... but I won't be needing if for SPSP. We don't have "QLD type" sun showers at Wiruna.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:59 PM
kittenshark (Cheryl-Ann Tan)

Just booked yours in to be picked up today for delivery, Marc.

I got one last one; it's the one shown in the photo on the website (yikes I look awful in that pic) so it's got a bit of dirt on it from being set up on the grass. I'll have to discount that one so if anyone's interested just drop me an email on the website (I don't check PMs here very often).

I do plan to keep it as a stock item because they seem hard to get.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:11 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks Ann. Yes they are very good. I've had mine for a very long time. It's very worn out now but the past few months the fabric is just falling apart into dust. It's "cooked". It's been everywhere from Snake valley up to astrofest. Took some serious beating with storms as well. They're not the cheapest but they last so I didn't think twice about getting the same. Definitely worth stocking and a good buy.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Thanks Ann. Yes they are very good. I've had mine for a very long time. It's very worn out now but the past few months the fabric is just falling apart into dust. It's "cooked". It's been everywhere from Snake valley up to astrofest. Took some serious beating with storms as well. They're not the cheapest but they last so I didn't think twice about getting the same. Definitely worth stocking and a good buy.
Say Marc, those are much better photos of the tent than ours! Also love that rainbow pier!

I also have the rain covers in stock as well. I suppose it keeps things nice and cosy when putting stuff away for the night/day.

That said, has anyone actually tried sleeping in those tents? Are they warm enough?
Old 18-05-2017, 03:38 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenshark View Post
Say Marc, those are much better photos of the tent than ours! Also love that rainbow pier!

I also have the rain covers in stock as well. I suppose it keeps things nice and cosy when putting stuff away for the night/day.

That said, has anyone actually tried sleeping in those tents? Are they warm enough?
I don't reckon they're warm enough for a sleep. Maybe in QLD. But it's good to have a roof over your head and your lappie when imaging for the cold and dew. I only open half of it to let the scope stick out.
Old 18-05-2017, 06:40 PM
batema (Mark)

Hi Marc. I am sick of packing up my equipment all the time but don't have the yard for an observatory. Would this tent be something that you could leave set up with your scope inside for some time and i different weather conditions?

Mark.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:04 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Hi Marc. I am sick of packing up my equipment all the time but don't have the yard for an observatory. Would this tent be something that you could leave set up with your scope inside for some time and i different weather conditions?

Mark.
Hi Mark, it would be ok for a few days but not as a permanent structure. The roof is flat so the water will pool and collect in heavy rain. I've had mine go through some serious storms but it's still a tent.
Old 19-05-2017, 03:40 PM
batema (Mark)

Thanks for that.

Mark.
Old 19-05-2017, 04:29 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Mark,

When I leave my scope set up in the yard I just cover it with a good quality, waterproof BBQ cover and then cover that with a KMart emergency blanket to reflect any bright sunlight. I strap it down with octopus straps. Apart from ants trying to build a nest in the mount controller it works pretty well...

BTW, happy birthday

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 22-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Hey guys, an update... I've tried to order more Astro Tents but...

I regret to say that the wholesaler who used to supply it doesn't intend to sell Astro Tents in the near future. :'(

Unless, of course, if we can put an order for 500 of the darn things, which is the factory's min. order quantity. It'll take more than a decade to sell thorough 500 of them!

Will try to find an alternative source that charges a reasonable price.