ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-06-2017, 06:08 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Pia

Hi James thats not good as I understand stand alone mode means the handset isnt talking to the mount via the motorboard. I recieved mine back from Andrewscomms after new motorboard was fitted by them, I wasnt given any details as to the probable fault and on return it worked fine in the shed but at first setup the handset wouldnt power up, I tried new RS cable, power cord wiggling and all that but still no go so back its gone to Andrews. I have a Star Discovery pro mount also and the Heq5 V3 handset works absolutely fine on that which rules the HS out at least. My suspicions are centered around bad soldering on rear of the the cable input fascia on the mount which has a small pcb board connecting wire loom to MBoard. Im waiting to hear back from Luke who has a new replacement mount on standby if prob cant be sorted so ill post outcome when I know more. Yours is obviously in warranty so I advise to take it back for replacement not repair, its near impossible to hook the mount up wrongly with supplied cabling so user fault can be ruled out. Appareantly the motorboard has capacitors which pop and are serviceable. Replacement of the MBoard seems pretty straight forward and they are available from Tasco thru Andrews for around $200. 99.9 percent people have used these mounts trouble free for many years maybe we just got bad batch of electronics, it happens, good luck, chrz...
Old 20-06-2017, 02:07 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Final update (hopefully)

Talked with Luke today and he confirmed the handset wasnt powering up on HEQ5 pro, he loosened a few cover screws mebbe on Mboard as well and all worked fine so an indeterminate intermittent short. Suffice to say he is shipping off a brand new replacement HEQ5 pro mount tomorrow, apart from lost time and one freight cost Im happy with outcome, he also said its the 2nd second hand heq5 this week with similar prob so its all anyones guess...