Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 14-04-2018, 11:12 AM
glend (Glen)

Skywatcher Evostar ED150 -two focuser options

More details dribbling out of the forthcoming, delayed, release of the Skywatcher ED150 APO (?) f8. It appears from Skywatcher USA web details, that there will be a choice of two focusers available, one a standard 2 speed Crayford and one other a 3,4" rack and pinion version (the DX model).

http://www.skywatcherusa.com/product...po-refractors/

Available for pre-order there now, and going to be featured at the NEAF show shortly.

It would appear that Skywatcher has reacted to CN forum comments about their stock focuser and how potential buyers were scouting replacement focusers even before the scope was released. This DX model would seem to be aimed at imagers, but questions remain about the scope's suitability for imaging (as they steadfastly refuse to release details of the objective element composition).

No information yet from Aus importer Tasco, or the local dealers, on whether the DX will be brought into Australia. Given the $550 USD premium for the R&P focuser in the US pricing, which would add over $700 AUD (potentially) to local prices, sourcing a replacement R&P focuser from Teleskop-Express (before the 1 July GST changes) would be a real savings strategy.

Still, until we get people actually imaging with this scope, we have no idea if its suitable in that role. TS have shown that their FPL-53 & Lanthanum Doublets work very well (at least in the new 125mm). Seeing the specs of the ED150 objective, and test results, are important purchasing decisions i would suggest.
Old 14-04-2018, 12:41 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Given the $550 USD premium for the R&P focuser in the US pricing, which would add over $700 AUD (potentially) to local prices, sourcing a replacement R&P focuser from Teleskop-Express (before the 1 July GST changes) would be a real savings strategy.

The DX also has better rings and dovetail as well as a heavier focuser for the extra US$550.

I imagine colour correction would be similar to the similar spec APM 152 doublet.
Old 14-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I’d be surprised at f/8 if the colour correction was far off spot on. With a mono sensor it might be irrelevant anyhow

Not sure about the stock focuser, but the DX looks a bit like the Esprit focuser, which I’ve had no problems with. With a 1600 and mini EFW, I’d imagine it’d not matter much regardless.
Old 14-04-2018, 05:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I’d be surprised at f/8 if the colour correction was far off spot on. With a mono sensor it might be irrelevant anyhow

Not sure about the stock focuser, but the DX looks a bit like the Esprit focuser, which I’ve had no problems with. With a 1600 and mini EFW, I’d imagine it’d not matter much regardless.
You are right Dunk. The Skywatcher product guy just confirmed (on CN) that the focuser on the DX was the same as the Esprit.
Old 14-04-2018, 05:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Geez their pricing is terrible! The 72ED is almost $200 more expensive there than here!

Always thought the new 150 would be optimal with the Esprit focuser.