Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 12-01-2021, 08:46 PM
dunc66

Celestron C90 primary baffle flocking

Hi
For people in Australia, any ideas where I can get velvet covered paper or thin card?
I need to roll a tube of diameter 16mm x113mm to slide into the primary baffle of the C90 to reduce internal reflections (as mentioned all over the internet)
Protostar flocking that I have used is too stiff and thick.
I am not so keen on inserting self adhesive velvet like you can find at Spotlight. No way to glue it in. Basically the material has to maintain its own shape (spring open) and be as thin as possible.

Also, what would you guys use to make a dew shield? I would need a piece of something fairly stiff, preferably black, and 40x40cm to trim to size. Maybe 6mm black EVA foam from somewhere.

Thanks
Old 13-01-2021, 12:33 PM
dunc66

I am going to try the matt black painted wet and dry sandpaper.
Old 13-01-2021, 12:37 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

The ID of the baffle tube is so small you wouldn't get any stray light or reflections in there. Not a good idea to flock it. It the fabric comes off or peel you'll end up with diffraction spikes on your stars. If it really bothers you black flat matte paint would do the trick but TBH I'd leave it alone. A dewshield would be far more effective.
Old 13-01-2021, 05:53 PM
dunc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
The ID of the baffle tube is so small you wouldn't get any stray light or reflections in there. Not a good idea to flock it. It the fabric comes off or peel you'll end up with diffraction spikes on your stars. If it really bothers you black flat matte paint would do the trick but TBH I'd leave it alone. A dewshield would be far more effective.
Thanks
The tube is already painted black but the internal reflections are clearly visible, at least during the daytime. It is a known opportunity for improvement and apparently worth doing ��

Last edited by dunc66; 14-01-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 15-01-2021, 04:10 AM
Pepper (Steve)

The stuff Spotlight sells is very sticky and is a bugger to get off of not stuck down right first go. I’d like to say additional glue will not be necessary.
I think I saw same at Bunnings the other day as well.