Old 17-01-2021, 03:39 PM
assbutt94

EQ6-R power issues

G'day guys
I seem to be having issues with my EQ6-r while slewing. It seems like it's getting slew errors causing the motors to stop slewing and whine due to presumably lack of voltage. On fast slew, voltage (according to HC) is dropping to 11V when running on the battery. I'm using a freshly charged 120ah deep cycle (intended for travel), and a regulated 12v 7.5A power supply at home. This happens on both power sources but the battery is noticeably worse, completely unusable actually.

Last imaging session the mount was run on the regulated power supply, and the camera cooler and dew heaters ran on the battery, without a single issue. The minimum voltage the mount received was around 12 volts during a slew. I typically run everything on the regulated power supply at home and occasionally still get this stalling issue.

Would having the mount plugged into a cigarette plug splitter to run all my accessories potentially be an issue, or is my problem likely elsewhere?
Old 17-01-2021, 04:35 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I have two EQ6-R mounts in different locations with house mains power nearby
I’ve always ran my mounts off a dedicated Powertech 12V 7.5 amp power adapter. Then another Powertech 12V 7.5 amp power adapter for cooled cameras and guide camera etc... and a 3rd Powertech for dew control and heater straps etc...
These mounts along with HEQ5, EQ6 and AZEQ6 require a solid clean power supply with minimal voltage drop
The Powertech 12V 7.5amp power adapters are only $45 so it’s a small price to pay to run your mount directly off one and another one or two for the rest of your imaging gear
I’ve had no issues in nearly 4 years of use !!!
Cheers
Old 17-01-2021, 05:51 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I use a car converter 12v to 15v, 120w to power my HEQ5 and HEQ6 mounts from either the 12v 20Ah gel cell batteries or a 10A transformer.
Never given me any issues over the past ten years.