Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Hemi

My new travel setup

GDay members,

I thought I would share my new, indulgent travel/grab n go setup. It fulfills my wish to “covet” a tak (although a baby tak) as well.

It’s purpose is for holidays with the family, where I would usually take a camera tripod and DSLR.

It’s a Tak Fs60Q, peak design CF travel tripod, a SW AZGTI, Baader M3 zoom.
The setup would be for visual, but I also travel with Canon 5d4 or newly acquired R5. I don’t have a clue about all these tak adapters and so far only have what came with the scope. ( a couple of adapters and extensions) I have no idea how to convert to 2in visual back or connect my camera yet, and all my c925 and ES102 accessories don’t connect!( I was expecting that of course).

It all packs away (inc tripod and a couple of camera lenses) in a lowepro photostream roller bag....all told about 8-10kg.

Cheers

Hemi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Travel scope setup.jpeg)
78.1 KB199 views
Old 15-12-2020, 08:28 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Very nice!
Old 04-01-2021, 01:54 AM
nohsmount (JaeWon)

Good
Old 04-01-2021, 07:42 AM
astro744

See https://www.takahashiamerica.com/mor...system-charts/

Specifically https://static.shoplightspeed.com/sh...art-fs-60q.pdf

They don’t make it easy for you and perhaps a Takahashi user can recommend a simpler solution. For my TV-60 I remove the diagonal and replace with 1.25” T-adapter - camera T-ring - camera for prime focus. Perhaps you could do the same.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:23 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Nice portable setup Hemi, I would suggest simply swapping the visual back for a Baader 2" Clicklock. Should be M56 x 0.75mm thread, Baader #2956255 refers
Old 04-01-2021, 09:18 AM
Saturn488

Very nice.

Took me a while to create my portable setup the way I like it. Now it all fits in 2 bags including tripod, telescope, camera, lenses, guiding, mount, etc, etc!
Old 04-01-2021, 11:24 AM
Hemi

Thanks everyone,

The focuser draw is very short, and all the adapters/extension tubes that came with the scope have either M56 or M52 threads. The reducer has M56 (scope side) and M52 on the other.

The M56 Baader 2" click lock would be great ( have click locks on my other scopes) for visual. I don't think there will be enough out focus for attaching the DSLR with a 2in nose piece.

Im about to travel to Hamilton island for a couple of weeks, my final gear list:
FS60Q, 3 Eyepieces, Canon R5, RF 24-240, Sigma 14 1.8, Various Breakthrough filters. Go Pro 9. Batteries and chargers!

The mount (AZGTI) and Tripod (Peak design CF) are going in checked luggage, but even with that: carry on is pushing 11Kg. The Camera roller bag is 4Kg!!
Unfortunately Virgin has a 7Kg carry on weight allowance.

...problems problems!
Old 04-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Saturn488

The same problem I faced with mine is the weight.

The tube, camera, mount come in at 6-7kg and then you have the other accessories.

Seems to be a portable setup limited for road trips only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Thanks everyone,

The focuser draw is very short, and all the adapters/extension tubes that came with the scope have either M56 or M52 threads. The reducer has M56 (scope side) and M52 on the other.

The M56 Baader 2" click lock would be great ( have click locks on my other scopes) for visual. I don't think there will be enough out focus for attaching the DSLR with a 2in nose piece.

Im about to travel to Hamilton island for a couple of weeks, my final gear list:
FS60Q, 3 Eyepieces, Canon R5, RF 24-240, Sigma 14 1.8, Various Breakthrough filters. Go Pro 9. Batteries and chargers!

The mount (AZGTI) and Tripod (Peak design CF) are going in checked luggage, but even with that: carry on is pushing 11Kg. The Camera roller bag is 4Kg!!
Unfortunately Virgin has a 7Kg carry on weight allowance.

...problems problems!
Old 07-01-2021, 09:45 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

....Nice Setup.
Old 18-01-2021, 10:29 PM
adiastro.photo (Adi)
adiastro.photo

Nice one. I'm a big fan of travel lightweight setup.
I had the SW AzGTi mini, definitely a nice little ultra portable goto mount perfect for visuals. I wish there is a mount as compact as this that's good for imaging.