Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 13-06-2020, 04:03 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

CdC and Backyard Horizon Survey

Hi All,

Recently now that I am working full time, I discovered not a lot of time available to set up and take images. I also realised that I do not have a lot of view space so I wanted to plan my image taking.

3 nights ago I carried out a site survey using CdC and some time after work from 5:30 pm till 9:00 pm.

Essentially with CdC and I presume other software they have the ability to map the horizon and place that horizon on CdC. I worked great and CdC and I believe Stellarium uses simple text-based co-ordination and the image of my views are attached.

Now I can start getting in some planning.

The technique of writing the file is simple. Two columns for each point. The first column is Degrees offset from North, the second column is the Azmyth. Place a space between the Bearing and the Az, then a new line for the next step. No comma delimiting or fancy database insertions.

0 15
5 20
10 20
15 10

and so on. Mine are in oddball degrees as the is so much change.

Cheers All
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CdC Horizon.jpg)
195.2 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (CdC Horizon1.jpg)
141.3 KB22 views
Old 13-06-2020, 05:03 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

I did the same process, much for the same reasons, as I couldn't work out when I could start imaging because things were behind trees etc.

I did a short video on this. I wasn't super accurate and tried to err on the side of caution, but it has given me way better ideas of when I can start (and stop) imaging depanding on where I'm pointing.

https://youtu.be/L2POt_xYA_g
Old 13-06-2020, 06:34 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Nice video, clear description. I wish I could locate an app like that to confirm my findings.
Old 13-06-2020, 08:30 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Nice video, clear description. I wish I could locate an app like that to confirm my findings.
Are you on an iPhone? The cost of the one I used was a bit expensive - although I must have previously purchased it many years ago when it was cheap. The link is in the description of the YouTube video.

Other than that, apparently there are other apps you can use - search up Theodolite on your app-store or google play store if you're on Android.