Old 10-07-2020, 09:42 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

FITS viewer for Android

I doubt this is something that many people want - after all, I struggled to find anything on the Google Play Store that would do the job at all.

And, frankly, it's not something I can think of a real need for anyway. Most systems convert the FITS file to a jpg, etc on the server before showing on web dashboards, etc. My only real use I've got right now is to remotely view the latest FITS file from the scope to 'zoom in' and manually check it's all ok while I'm sitting in the couch watching TV.

But, I'm currently writing a FITS viewer for Android anyway. I'm using it to learn a few things, including Android development etc.

I initially tried to use a FITS Java library to handle the decoding, but it was a bit too clunky to use. So, I got the FITS spec and have implemented a new library of my own (in Kotlin) at least to the level of handling mono images and 3 channel RGB colour images.

So far I've used this library to display a FITS image within an android app (hardcoded image locations, etc, very basic). I hope to roll on to doing proper app soon where you'll be able to either view images already on the phone, or paste in the URL to the image, or if I work out how to do it, as a handler for things like email attachments, browser links, etc.

Does anyone have any use for such an app? Or types of FITS images I should consider handling? Or any other suggestions I should consider for the app (besides checking my sanity)?

Feature wise, for the app, I will need to give ways to stretch the image (something like STF in PI). At this stage, I don't plan to offer writing out FITS files, just viewing. If it all goes well, I might look into PI's xisf format and see if that can be added as well.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:48 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Just an update, since it's in high demand. I've got a basic viewer showing FITS images, and handling files stored on the device or links from browsers, e.g. FITS files generated from here: http://archive.eso.org/dss/dss