Old 16-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Indio

Hi all,

I bought my first telescope (Skywatcher 150/1200 EQ) a couple of weeks ago and have had a few good nights viewing so far. Views of the moon, jupiter and saturn have had me grinning till my face hurts, so much cool stuff to see and learn... I should have done this years ago
Old 16-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio View Post
Hi all,

I bought my first telescope (Skywatcher 150/1200 EQ) a couple of weeks ago and have had a few good nights viewing so far. Views of the moon, jupiter and saturn have had me grinning till my face hurts, so much cool stuff to see and learn... I should have done this years ago
Hi Indio,
Welcome to IceInSpace .
Yes, I am sure we all remember our first WOWs from first viewing sessions. I started with a similar setup to yours and was blown away.

You will find here a wealth of information and many willing to help you on your journey of wonder.

Ask questions, find local like minded individuals to share experiences with, and most of all ... Enjoy!
Old 28-06-2015, 12:52 AM
yusbot (Yusfi)

Hi folks,

I just bought my first telescope...I'm really newbie to this stuff, but really want to get much from this, so I bought RC8 and an ED80. Still haven't get used to polar alignment, though I enjoyed viewing manually. Hope I could learn much from this forum to astrophotograph in the near future.
Old 21-07-2015, 11:45 AM
dreamstation (James)

Hey everyone,

Another newbie here joining the ranks. Have recently picked up a 10" dobsonian which has been excellent for our first telescope. We've a lot to learn but we're more than happy just getting outside and observing.

The journey will be long but will be full of fun and adventure! Happy to be joining this community and I'm sure we will have plenty of questions in the future.

James
Old 21-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi James,
Welcome to IceInSpace
You have picked a great scope.
That should keep you satisfied for a long time.

Feel free to ask any questions, and see if you can get to an observing session near you. The star parties forum is a good place to start.

Also, if you haven't already, you should download the FREE planetarium software Stellarium. (www.stellarium.org).
It will help you find some interesting stuff to track down.

Clear Skies
Old 22-07-2015, 07:48 AM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Feel free to ask any questions, and see if you can get to an observing session near you. The star parties forum is a good place to start.

Also, if you haven't already, you should download the FREE planetarium software Stellarium. (www.stellarium.org).
It will help you find some interesting stuff to track down.

Clear Skies
First off thanks for the warm welcome!

We have tried contacting the local astronomical society a couple months ago before we bought the telescope but emails and phone calls were going unanswered so it was a little difficult. We haven't tried again but did see some articles in the local newspaper a while back so they are obviously still around. Will have to try again soon.

As for Stellarium, we've already got that program which has been very helpful in finding our way around the night sky. We are only beginners so finding some things still proves difficult. But that is half the fun!

As for the clear skies, well not so much recently unfortunately!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 PM
NikonNights (Mark)

Hey all

Hey all,

Had a long time interest in the heavens, but don't have any equipment to actually play at home yet. Have dropped into the odd observatory when travelling and always come away with a renewed plan to purchase some decent equipment but the finance minister says 'not right now' frequently. I have however flipped some coin at photographic equipment and have an interest in capturing night skies from what I can see through lenses ranging from 10 to 300mm.

Hoping to find some like minded folks on the forum and share some tips, tricks and trophies for now just with a camera, and later when I'm ready to get some serious glass!

Cheers,
Mark
Old 08-09-2015, 09:46 PM
NigyRob (Nigel)

Evening all

Just joined up yesterday and I'm blown away by the amount of helpful people in this forum. My eyes are sore from reading so much good info but I can't seem to stop - what a great site I've stumbled across and hope to one day contribute also.

I am at the starting gate with Astronomy and yet to purchase my first telescope and there in lies my problem.

I have just clocked up 20yrs working for my employer and for this milestone I get to choose a gift from their website.
They have the obligatory gold watches, diamond earrings etc. but also have some telescopes of which for my bracket they are offering the 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian Telescope (254mm x 1200mm).
(I can actually get the 12" if I want and pay the difference too).

My problem is I have read that having a Go To telescope is a lot more fun for someone like myself starting out as you get to see what you want straight away after a few short setup steps.

My question is to you is this -

a) Am I on the right track with this thinking of a GoTo scope is better for a total newbie?
b) Is there the ability to upgrade this manual scope to a GoTo unit later down the track and if so what would be involved and where would I go to have it done?

Sorry for the long post but I have lots of other questions but I'll go do some more reading first :-)

Thanks
Nige
Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Nigel,
Welcome to IceInSpace

I have had both the skywatcher 10" (non-goto) and currently the 12" skywatcher (goto).

Both are great scopes visually.
YES. You can buy a goto upgrade for the basic SW DOBs.
These are around $1,000 for the upgrade. [checkout Andrews communications website]

Sure the goto makes finding stuff easier, but they then introduce further issues such as power requirements, alignment, and extra weight.
Whereas the non-goto is pretty much just plonk it down and start observing.

You can get various things to help find stuff, such as charts, planisphere, phone apps, and computer programs, etc. [Download the Free stellarium program anyway.]

I am certainly happy with my goto, but the choice is up to you.
It would be good if you could get to an observing session and see both in action, and talk to their handlers.

Good luck with your choice (what a wonderful work incentive !!!)
And feel free to ask questions.

Clear skies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigyRob View Post
Evening all

Just joined up yesterday and I'm blown away by the amount of helpful people in this forum. My eyes are sore from reading so much good info but I can't seem to stop - what a great site I've stumbled across and hope to one day contribute also.

I am at the starting gate with Astronomy and yet to purchase my first telescope and there in lies my problem.

I have just clocked up 20yrs working for my employer and for this milestone I get to choose a gift from their website.
They have the obligatory gold watches, diamond earrings etc. but also have some telescopes of which for my bracket they are offering the 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian Telescope (254mm x 1200mm).
(I can actually get the 12" if I want and pay the difference too).

My problem is I have read that having a Go To telescope is a lot more fun for someone like myself starting out as you get to see what you want straight away after a few short setup steps.

My question is to you is this -

a) Am I on the right track with this thinking of a GoTo scope is better for a total newbie?
b) Is there the ability to upgrade this manual scope to a GoTo unit later down the track and if so what would be involved and where would I go to have it done?

Sorry for the long post but I have lots of other questions but I'll go do some more reading first :-)

Thanks
Nige
Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Wolf

Hi all!

I've always had an interest in space, so I decided to join a forum where I can share my enthusiasm with other people and hopefully learn from people. I've had very limited education on our universe in school, which disappoints me greatly cause I'd love to have a career involving looking at space and discovering what's out there.

I'm also interested in astrophotgraphy.

I'd love some recommendations on a good quality beginner telescope that could also help me start with astrophotography as well.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:13 PM
GreyWolf (Andy)
Moon Howler

Oooo... Another furry critter!
Sorry Wolf. I didn't know there was a Wolf. But at least I'm a grey wolf. I hope you're not a wolf-rayet.

Let's have a big howl together!!!

I'm also sometimes known as Andy. Domestic Engineering (or house husband if you prefer) is my current game. Better change that soon...

Beware the full moon. But yes I like it. And planets. Omega Centauri. Bright sparkly things in the sky. Dim whispy things in the sky. These are some of my favourite things.

Sort of new I guess. Redundancy let me get my little 6" SCT. And then I learned the rest of the astronomy world exists. Yeah gotta do things backwards. But the learning cap is on, L plates dangling around my neck. Time to read!

cheers,
Andy
Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 PM
raymo

Hi Andy, you have taken up the hobby when new and used gear
is much more affordable than it used to be years ago.
raymo
Old 10-09-2015, 08:17 AM
GreyWolf (Andy)
Moon Howler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Hi Andy, you have taken up the hobby when new and used gear
is much more affordable than it used to be years ago.
raymo
G'day Raymo. Yeah, it's interesting to see some of the prices in a couple of 1988/89 Deep Sky magazines I've managed to get my paws on.

Mind you the magazines are still very interesting reading and quite relevant. Sure most astronomers now aren't into hyper-sensitising film, but a lot of the other stuff is time-less - like a nice table of Carbon Stars.

I suspect that now, even though equipment isn't quite as expensive, there's so much choice that it's bewildering trying to work out what's what. And of course any opinions on forums regarding equipment are subjective.

I wonder when this forum will have as many posted text characters as there are stars in the Milky Way...?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:28 AM
raymo

I bought a Vixen Super Polaris mount back in the mid 80s, cost $2000,
no Go To of course, or even a tripod, that would be about $4500 today. Today's version with Go To of course, and a tripod, and a larger load capacity, would be around $2500.
raymo
Old 16-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Ru1s (Chris)

New to IceInSpace

Hi everyone,
I guess my fascination with space started reasonably early, i think i was about 8 years old with a pair of borrowed binoculars in the back yard looking up at Jupiter in a twilight sky and seeing the faint glint of something that was not a twinkling star.

Always interested in science and space since. now some 20 something years later, i came across a telescope in big w, Vixen 76/700 marked down to $50 with tripod, I could not refuse ! with a 4mm sr and a 20mm h eyepiece and a 1.5x erector and 3x barlow, all of which were .96".

Over the next 6 months or so I got some nice views of Jupiter's Bands and 4 Moons, the Moon, Saturn, even a peek at the great nebula in Orion. a wander through the Centaurus Constellation, and a Phase of Venus a few times.

Did a little research about eyepieces and magnification and found a National Geographic 76/350 table top dobsonion in Aldi for $75 with 1.25" eyepieces (again 4mm sr, 20mm h, 2 x barlow) no finder on this one so was a bit awkward to use.

So i went back to the vixen, had the focuser machined to take 1.25" eyepieces and used the better 1.25" eyepieces in that.

Bought a 15mm Celestion eyepiece, AMAZING upgrade from the "toy" eyepieces.

Bought a 6mm Super Plossl from Australian Geographic.

Worked well until i found another National Geographic scope at Aldi for $120 this one is another 76/700 but on a much sturdier mount this one equatorial mounted with a dovetail and counterbalanced.

I figured the mount alone was worth about $60 and the Eyepieces were 12.5mm and 25mm ( much more reasonable for the scope ) along with a smartphone adapter ( worth around $10 - $20 ) i figured the eyepieces were worth about $15 each, so the scope was at worst $30 !

Gave the 76/350 and a few accessories away to a friends son for his 10th birthday, the Vixen is going to another friends son soon. Hopefully i have sparked the same questioning, and desire for exploration in them that was given to me all those years ago ....

recently we got new neighbors and i spotted a 60mm bushnell refractor on their porch, inquired as to it's use and was told it was an "ornament" they has a 6" Mak-Cas GoTo ! Best friends since! but they have pointed me here so here i am !

so Hi All
Old 27-09-2015, 11:29 AM
NigyRob (Nigel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Nigel,
Welcome to IceInSpace

I have had both the skywatcher 10" (non-goto) and currently the 12" skywatcher (goto).

Both are great scopes visually.
YES. You can buy a goto upgrade for the basic SW DOBs.
These are around $1,000 for the upgrade. [checkout Andrews communications website]

Sure the goto makes finding stuff easier, but they then introduce further issues such as power requirements, alignment, and extra weight.
Whereas the non-goto is pretty much just plonk it down and start observing.

You can get various things to help find stuff, such as charts, planisphere, phone apps, and computer programs, etc. [Download the Free stellarium program anyway.]

I am certainly happy with my goto, but the choice is up to you.
It would be good if you could get to an observing session and see both in action, and talk to their handlers.

Good luck with your choice (what a wonderful work incentive !!!)
And feel free to ask questions.

Clear skies!
Hi Allan

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I've actually changed my mind as I feel the Dob scope's in question were a tad too big for me starting out.
I have had a couple of more suggestions from the people who look after the gifts for our company and I have narrowed it down to two scopes.

Both are Maksutov Cassigrains -

1) 127 x 1500 with GoTo (SW127MAKSD)
2) 150 x 1800 with EQ mount

I have to chip in $300 for one of these which I'm happy to do but I just would like some feed back on each.
I'm actually leaning towards the manual one now as I think it might be a better quality scope as I'm not paying for a GoTo system and all the value is in the scope.

Would like peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks
Nige
Old 27-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Nigel,
You will probably get better feedback if you started a new thread, say in the "Beginners Equipment discussion" forum.

I have had Maks, and SCTs, as well as EQ mounted Newtonians and the DOBs.
For me, there is no question. Best value for money is the DOB.
(IMHO) You will see so much more through an 8" DOB than you will through either of the scopes mentioned.
The other thing I say to newcomers heading down the Visual observing route, stay away from EQ mounts. Essential for imaging, a pain in the neck for visual.

But its your decision.
Which ever way you go, enjoy the night sky!
Old 27-09-2015, 05:47 PM
NigyRob (Nigel)

Thanks for the advice Allan - will take it onboard.
Old 24-10-2015, 10:15 AM
almikel (Michael)

hi from Brisbane

Hi team,
my son has shown an interest in astronomy, and I've wanted a scope since I was his age, so starting the learning curve.
I took him to an observing night with the Brisbane Astronomical Society last Sat, and if the weather clears will go to the Southern Astro Society this evening (doesn't look promising).
Loaded Star Navigator on the iPhone and iPad which is great, and we've been doing some moon gazing in the backyard with some binos.

A colleague at work told me about this site, and I love the focus on this part of the globe.

cheers
Mike
Brisbane
Old 25-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Rob_Wilson (Rob)

L Plater Telescope Driver

Hi all,

Just signed up to the forum. Recently purchased a Skywatcher SW135 EQ2 reflector with an RA drive, I also have 2x Saxon barlow and a set of filters being delivered this week.

I am a newbie and have been watching lots of youtube videos on astronomy and telescopes.

I would like to try imaging but don't want to buy an expensive camera, can anyone advise on a good webcam or similar to get started with.

It's great to have a place to come and ask questions.

Thanks Rob