Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Elyse,

The small scope is the finder scope. The objective is going to be in a threaded cell that is turned until focus is achieved. The Moon will be up soon, so if the sky is clear take it outside, get the Moon in focus and lock it off.

Take the main scope outside and find the Moon. It might be a bit tricky but stick with it. When you find the Moon and have it in the middle of the eyepieces field of view, move the adjustment screws on the attached finder scope to centre the Moon. If this is not possible tonight it might be better to do this exercise during the daytime using an object that is a long way off in the distance. Just be sure the scope is not pointed in the direction of the Sun or you will damage your scope and eyesight.

What size eyepieces did you get with the scope?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

So I worked out how to use the finder scope, and it's all in sync with the telescope. It comes with a 2" focuser with a 1.25" adapter, but I've got no idea how to use the adapter. The focuser is really only good for moon viewing any ideas? Been looking at a few other eye pieces but unsure what to get.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse_kuz View Post
So I worked out how to use the finder scope, and it's all in sync with the telescope. It comes with a 2" focuser with a 1.25" adapter, but I've got no idea how to use the adapter. The focuser is really only good for moon viewing any ideas? Been looking at a few other eye pieces but unsure what to get.
Hi Elyse, your 6" dob will give you plenty to see. If your not far i'm happy to show you how to use it. The 1.25" adapter fits into the 2" adapter so you are able to use the 1.25" eyepiece.
Also the near full moon will make it harder to view at the moment.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgey View Post
Hi Elyse, your 6" dob will give you plenty to see. If your not far i'm happy to show you how to use it. The 1.25" adapter fits into the 2" adapter so you are able to use the 1.25" eyepiece.
Also the near full moon will make it harder to view at the moment.
Will the adapter + the 2" piece be enough to see deep sky objects like orions nebula and the blue planetary nebula? What about galaxies like the andromeda or the triangulum? Or do I need bigger pieces or a bigger telescope? Was looking at getting a 10mm and a 6mm? If it's too much for me I might just take you up on that offer haha.

Thanks for the help thus far!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse_kuz View Post
Will the adapter + the 2" piece be enough to see deep sky objects like orions nebula and the blue planetary nebula? What about galaxies like the andromeda or the triangulum? Or do I need bigger pieces or a bigger telescope? Was looking at getting a 10mm and a 6mm? If it's too much for me I might just take you up on that offer haha.

Thanks for the help thus far!
Did your telescope come with any eyepieces like a 10mm & 25mm eyepiece usually they do?
If it did come with with the eyepieces you will be able to make out orion nebula, eta carina and many more.
Orion nebula is setting in the west not long after dark.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgey View Post
Did your telescope come with any eyepieces like a 10mm & 25mm eyepiece usually they do?
If it did come with with the eyepieces you will be able to make out orion nebula, eta carina and many more.
Orion nebula is setting in the west not long after dark.
This is the one I bought

http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/...oductview.aspx
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

The scope you purchased has 10 & 25mm eyepieces included.

The 25 will magnify an object 48x
The 10 will magnify an object 120x

The eyepieces you have should be fine for the moment. You might want to think about picking up a 2x Barlow. This will allow you to double the magnification of each eyepiece.

Now that you have the finder scope aligned with the 6" reflector you will be able to use it to hunt down targets in the night sky. The stars should be focused pinpoints of light in you finder scope.

As Forgey has mentioned, fix the 1.25" adaptor to the focuser and then position one of your 1.25" eyepieces into the adaptor. When the stars are brought into focus, they should be pinpoints of light. I'd jump at the chance to have Paula drop by and assist. This would have you sorted within an hour.

Stellarium is a free software package that can be downloaded. It will help you to find objects in the night sky.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

what would you recommend as far as a barlow? Something cheap like this? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Celestron...#ht_1533wt_974 or something abit more pricey? Not wanting to spend huge amounts just as yet till I get used to things and upgrade the telescope in a few years.

Or even a cheap kit like this?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Celestron...#ht_1899wt_974

Will try my best to organise some free time to bring the telescope down from the northern suburbs to the SE burbs also when I can, and will take her up on that offer haha.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Barlows can be had in a variety of magnifications.... 2x, 3x, 5x. It all depends on how much magnification you are chasing. Only when conditions are near perfect, which isn't often, you can approach 300x. I have only been past 300x once.

If you wish to avoid spending a lot of money at the moment then stick with the basic brands. It is probably a false economy to couple high end barlows with starter eyepieces.

If it is clear tonight it might be worth tracking down the Orion Nebula as it sets fairly early.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

Ok so I understand that, should I look at replacing the eyepieces that came with the kit then? I was looking at this kit by Orion? http://www.amazon.com/Orion-1-25-Pre...4053580&sr=8-7

Or should I stick to that cheap kit by celestron? Spending big bucks on this telescope a waste of time? Went looking for the Orion nebula and could see a faint colour outline, before I had a chance to change anything, a cloud wavered into view oh well, universe is around forever haha
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

That is the exact kit that I have, as well as the 10 and 25mm ep's that came with my scope. For the time being I am happy enough with it. The higher power ep's that are in this kit work, but I am keen to compare them with some high quality glass in the near future. The 10, 17 and 40mm ep's are the ones that I usually go for.

It all depends on how deep your pockets are. For the time being I am content to learn the sky and these ep's are ample. At some point in the future I would like to upgrade to a selection of Tele Vue EP's.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

The best way to get an idea about the gear that is available is to meet up with an Astronomical Society. As you are in Melbourne there should be plently of choice.

You will be able to bounce from scope to scope and compare the different setups as well as the large variety of ep's being used. The club members will be more than happy to share their expierence with you.

Be careful though, you might end up with aperature envy. It seems to get to most of us sooner or later....
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Elyse, I wouldnt be in rush to get new eyepieces untill you get to know your way around the sky. The ones that came with the scope will be fine for now.

As Stu has said try and get to Astronomical Society, the members will be more than happy to help you. That way you can try different eyepieces before you buy to make sure you know what to expect.

Astronomical societies in melbourne/Victoria.
Astronomical Society of Victoria
Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society
Snake Valley Astronomical Society
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Elyse
Just use the 25mm eyepiece that came with your scope. Using that you will see heaps.
Don't rush into getting a kit of eyepieces. IMHO they are not a great investment. My scope came with a set of eyepieces similar to the kit and I only used the 32mm and 25mm ones.
Once you have decided to continue in the hobby then look at premium eyepieces, when you will get valu for money.
Just so it is clear, eyepieces come with 2 measurements, the focal length (usually in mm) which is the power of the EP (shorter focal length gives more magnification) and barrell size which is in inches, usually either 1.25" or 2" thought there are some 0.965" ones around. This purely refers to the physical diameter of the barrell taht you insert in the focuser.
Often longer focal length eyepieces have 2" barrells. With plossls that is ones above 25mm.

Try and get to an observing night, best way to learn.

Malcolm
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Hi Elyse welcome to IIS

Yes i would stick with the two eyepieces that came with the scope for now, that is all you will need until you get to know the sky more, then when you get a chance to get out with some other lovely astro peeps they will kindly let you have a play with some real glass hehehe then you can make that decision what to buy later on down the track as not always the best eyepieces suit everyone and you might even get a bargin here on IIS cheers and happy viewing the night skies
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

wow thanks heaps for the replies everyone! And more especially the kind words and help

Ok, I won't at this time bother with any other eye pieces. Only reason I was considering more was the 25mm one I had was really only good for moon viewing. I tried to find Orions nebula with it with no luck. Haven't had a chance to test the 10mm one, so I hope it will work better in this regard.

It just sucks that it's so cloudy at the moment and the moon is so bright

Will have to get down to one of these clubs/viewing things! I didn't know they existed. This is me and my partners telescope, so if I end up getting aperture fever I might just have to get my own telescope
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Elyse
The Orion Neb (M42 to be correct) is easy to find and will look great in the 25mm. The only thing is that it is low at the moment so not the best fo viewing. And as you live in Melb light pollution makes it a bit harder. Try for it as soon as it gets dark. Locate the 3 stars of Orions belt, they should form a nearly vertical line. To the left of them you should make out a line of faint fuzy stars which is the sword. M42 is in there. Once you have found it you can get it easily.

Malcolm
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong then :/ I was up camping at the time I tried using the 25mm. All it did was zoom in on the star. It still looked like a star, just abit bigger in the scope.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Elyse,

Try using these screen grabs from Starry Night. Orion is set for 7:30pm tonight in Melbourne and the Southern Cross (Crux) is set for 8:00pm tonight. If the sky is clear you should be able to track down the Orion Nebula.

Maybe spend some time looking at the bright stars in Orion and splitting the Acrux Star. Refer to the screen grabs for a guide.

When you look at a star, is it hard to get it focused or is it easy to achieve a sharp pinpoint of light?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1 North West.jpg)
65.0 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (2 Orion.jpg)
44.6 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (3 Nair al Saif.jpg)
36.3 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (4 M42.jpg)
27.9 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (5 Crux - Sth Cross.jpg)
41.9 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (6 Crux.jpg)
37.2 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (7 Becrux & NGC 4755 Jewel Box.jpg)
34.5 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (8 Acrux - Double.jpg)
16.8 KB65 views
Old 15-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

thanks for that!! very helpful, I was told the orion nebula was the middle star of the sheath. But thats really handy!! I can get a star in focus, so I think its correlated or whatever the word is haha. Just when I tried looking for the nebula out camping on a cloudless sky it still looked like a star with a 25mm eye piece. The moon was full crescent so maybe that had something to do with it? I assumed I'd still be able to see it though.

Also, was going to ask where's a good place to look up weather? I want to go down to kinglake next weekend, any idea if it will be ok weather wise?

Also stellarium is awesome