Old 19-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Recommended DSLR upgrade from Canon 600D

I’ve been using a Canon 600D at prime focus in my newt for some time now which is providing some great images of all objects
What would be a suitable Canon upgrade to the 600D in an APC-C crop sensor
I’ve read about the Canon 7D mk 11 having low noise and good Ha response ( Roger Clark ) but it’s quite heavy at 950 grams compared to the 600D at 590 grams

Any advice welcome

Cheers
Old 19-12-2018, 05:29 PM
bojan
amateur

Is full spectrum mod an option?
It is easy enough to remove the filter, to have full sensitivity for Halpha.
Old 19-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi bojan,
Thanks for the suggestion but it’s more about lower noise than Ha
My 600D picks up adequate Ha
Modded camera’s tend to be overkill on the Ha
Cheers
Old 19-12-2018, 11:15 PM
JA

The Canon 7D MkII is definitely less noisy than the Canon 600D. Take a look at this comparison in good light with both cameras at ISO3200. The comparison is actually between the 7DmkII and the 7D, but the 600D has the same sensor and processor.

Based on this comparison the 7DmkII is obviously better in noise terms and further having also played around with the image parameters in the test image I would say that you could think of the 7DmkII as having approx 1EV (1 stop) less noise than the 7D (600D equiv), in the sense that the 7D at ISO 1600 has similar noise to the 7DmkII AT ISO 3200.

So you'd get an improvement (reduction) in noise by going for the 7DmkII, but it wouldn't be as great as the reduction you'd achieve with Bojan's suggestion of removing the IRcut filter in the camera, which would increase the Ha response by a factor of around 3 and thus the signal to noise by a similar amount. Net effect less noise, because you would have to dig down less in to the signal (stretch). ... And you have a lighter camera than you started with - well a few grams lighter anyway

If you are concerned with the camera being no-usable for normal photography well that's one thing. If you are concerned with too much red, then there's always the ability to reduce the red channel saturation in editing or boost the other channels after the fact.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Canon 7D or 600D v Canon 7DmkII.jpg)
163.9 KB26 views
Old 20-12-2018, 12:23 PM
casstony

The Nikon D5300 or D5600 is often recommended for low noise and it's on the cheaper end. My D5600 is much less noisy than the 600D I started with.
Old 20-12-2018, 01:16 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
The Nikon D5300 or D5600 is often recommended for low noise and it's on the cheaper end. My D5600 is much less noisy than the 600D I started with.
+1 For these Nikon. Great sensor, very clean low noise and cost effective. I have the D5300 which is the budget one but has the same sensor as the D5600 just without some of the gimmicks you don't need for AP anyway. Works great with BYNikon software.
Old 20-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks All
Does the stock Nikon D5600 have good Ha response ( say +20% )
Cheers
Old 22-12-2018, 10:51 AM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

have you considered getting one of the those ZWO ASI cameras? Im intrigued by their APS-C sized OSC cameras. The prize point is similar to a Canon 3 digit SLR but it has full spectrum response and TECooling. It also connects to camera lenses and Im sure that someone makes an attachment so one can use all these EOS clip in filters (OWB, CLS, UHC, STC dual NB).
I just cant make up my mind wether I would regret OSC eventually and should go mono right away. But the advent of dual narrowband filters has opened up a great deal of new options for time starved enthusiasts under Bortle 8 skies that I wonder if mono and NB filters plus more work in post processing is actually a satisfying solution?
Anyhow, just wanted to throw non-DSLR's into the mix for your consideration.

cheers