Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2020, 09:34 AM
glend (Glen)

New SKywatcher ED150DX, Why & First Light

I have had my eye on this ED150 for a long time, when they originally were introduced I was imaging with Newts and Mak-Newts it was not seen as a serious imaging scope (mostly because of the Doublet Objective).
After retiring from imaging, it entered contention as a simple to use visual scope (no diffraction spikes, no collimation, etc). However, even after selling off all my scopes except my iStar 127mm f12, I was blocked by what I saw as an excessive retail price (at the time it was RRP'd at $2999, and that was for the standard ED150 with the 2" focuser).
I watched all this year, and the price never changed, and even Andrews was stuck (no 10% off sale). So fast forward to the week before the Black Friday Sales events, and I had a tip off (thanks Dunk) that Astro Anarchy had marked down the standard ED150 to $2199 on the website and they were in stock. I rang up Peter at Astro Anarchy and had a chat, during which he mentioned that he could do a deep discount on the ED150DX (this being the Delux version with the Esprit 3.4" focuser, Beefy rings, and Losmandy plate). The DX version apparently had an RRP of $4600, and I had never seen the price below $3600.. Peter was offering me one substantially discounted (below $3k), how could I pass it up? I got a nice discount on the reducer corrector as well. As I understand, it is a TASCO Black Friday Special available through it's retailers, and I cannot say for sure that all retailers will pass on all of the discount provided by TASCO. Don't assume, but certainly ask, if your looking.

Anyway it arrived a few days ago (free shipping was a bonus) and last night was my first chance to try it out. BTW, these scopes come with a hard Aluminium case as well.

I have posted some photos below, of the scope on my CGX in the obervatory.

Testing last night went very well, the Star tests showed no collimation concerns (these scopes cannot be user collimated, it is set at the factory). There was no false colour at focus that I could detect, and only a hint of colour on the tips of inward focus flares but disappearing approaching focal point. Focus popped, no need to search back and forth, it was clearly defined. I forgot to do a Ronchi test last night but will get to that soon. Touring the usual suspects in the east and southern sky provided great views, and surprising grab on the nebula but then again it is 150mm unobstructed.
The focuser could pull my car, it is that strong.
So yeah I am pretty happy with the scope, optics and mechanics. Being a Doublet it is easily balanced on the mount, and that heavy focuser helps with that. It is easily handled by the CGX.
Ultimate setup will be for EAA, so it will be reduced from f8 to f6,8; and I will piggy back an ED80 on top to get good focal length coverage from say 400mm to 1020mm; but that is down the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF2243.jpg)
145.3 KB185 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF2244.jpg)
112.7 KB145 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF2245.jpg)
151.8 KB139 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF2247.jpg)
106.7 KB149 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF2249.jpg)
103.5 KB139 views

Last edited by glend; 05-12-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Startrek (Martin)

That’s a quality 150mm scope you have there, more importantly at a really good price too
Well done !
Early days yet but I think your pretty happy with performance !

As far as new products from Skywatcher , I’m patiently waiting for them to bring out a 32kg or 35kg rated EQ mount as currently there is a HUGE gap between the EQ6-R and AZEQ6 ( 22kg ) and the observatory level EQ8-R (50 kg ).I think there would be a market for a 32 to 35kg. I’ve seen marketing ads in the UK and Europe for a Skywatcher EQ350 ( 35kg ) yoke type mount but don’t know if it went into manufacture as there are no reports in any forums or retailer supplier websites
A 35kg rated mount could be called hypothetically an “EQ7-R pro” to follow their model numbering sequence
Maybe wishful thinking ??
Old 05-12-2020, 12:22 PM
anj026
Plyscope

Nice one Glen, fantastic scope for the price. I have only heard good things about these scopes.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:32 PM
gregbradley

Congrats Glen, sounds like a very nice scope.

Greg.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Looks & sounds great Glen, glad you got the result you were hoping for.

When it comes to a piggyback scope, have a look at the 72ED from SW. I recently acquired one, primarily to use as an airline travel scope coupled with a CF photo tripod. It's small & lightweight which were it's prime attraction to me but, I'm gob smacked at it's performance visually. It punches way, way, way above it's weight... speaking of which, it weighs in at a lightweight 1.9kg

Like your 150ED, there is false colour when coming to focus but, when tightly focused on the moon, Jupiter, etc... you really, really have to go looking very hard to find any teeny weeny trace of it.

I've yet to test it out for imaging as a widefield scope but, if it performs as well imaging as it does visually then, my 80mm will be moving on.

Price point is good too, I picked one up on the forum for $400 in pretty much new condition... they retail for $699 currently.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Looks fantastic, very happy for you Glen.
I often wonder how one of these scopes would go for narrow band imaging..you could think the minor colour would probably not manifest at all when using separate filters.
Alex
Old 05-12-2020, 10:47 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Glen, looks a ducking beauty mounted like that, glad you’re happy with it so far.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:36 AM
doug mc

Great choice. Nice to see where my scope purchase money went.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:03 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Nice acquisition Glen..
Many but not all would be familiar with this great review..and today's ones are even better it seems ..
https://telescopes.net/store/doctor-...tcher-evostar/
Bigjoe.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:01 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Nice acquisition Glen..
Many but not all would be familiar with this great review..and today's ones are even better it seems ..
https://telescopes.net/store/doctor-...tcher-evostar/
Bigjoe.
Joe I am familiar with Daniel's review, which was also part of a Cloudy Nights forum thread. Daniel had one of the early models and was effectively a Beta Tester for Skywatcher. It is true that Skywatcher copped a lot of flax for not getting into the glass type arguments that many like to debate (especially on CN), instead focusing on the best possible figure of a good glass, and letting that speak for the scope.
Side by side comparison test, completed by Daniel and friends, are important for benchmarking.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:16 AM
glend (Glen)

I did a more complete test on the ED150 last night, visually, and got to put the Ronchi eyepiece on it for an optics test. Moving from Intrafocal to Extrafocal absolutely no aberration, the four thick lines stayed perfectly vertical with no spherical under or over correction, no astigmatism or zonal aberration. Seems perfect according to Gerd Neumann's chart.
And yes, yes, , I know the pedantic will insist that only a double pass test will suffice but I am happy with what I am seeing.
I will move on to imaging tests with my Nikon.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:47 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I think I may have said this elsewhere, but IMO the type of glass is irrelevant if the scope does the job as advertised. The figure of the glass elements is at least as important. If the scope exceeds expectations, that's a bonus.

The obsession with labels and "prestige" over the pond leads to this kind of non-sensical thinking, or lack thereof.

I'm sure sticking a camera on the back will be illuminating (sorry, couldn't resist the pun). The most common issue with doublets seems to be blue halos, but at f/8 I'd be surprised if this was an issue with this scope.

FWIW, I've made no secret that I would like one of these myself, one day
Old 09-12-2020, 01:29 PM
glend (Glen)

I have found a useful case for the ED150, the light weight Geoptik (made in Italy) locally supplied byTestar. Light weight, tough, and nicely padded, with carry handles; much easier to use than the big aluminium 'coffin' that Skywatcher supplies (although in the event of a nuclear war the coffin will be better protection).

The intent is that (mostly) the ED150 lives in the observatory on the mount, but when it does need to move, or if I am going to be away from the property, it will stay in the bag. The bag actually fits over the ED150 on the mount, like a cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF2252.jpg)
95.3 KB49 views
Old 18-12-2020, 09:06 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I have found a useful case for the ED150, the light weight Geoptik (made in Italy) locally supplied byTestar. Light weight, tough, and nicely padded, with carry handles; much easier to use than the big aluminium 'coffin' that Skywatcher supplies (although in the event of a nuclear war the coffin will be better protection).

The intent is that (mostly) the ED150 lives in the observatory on the mount, but when it does need to move, or if I am going to be away from the property, it will stay in the bag. The bag actually fits over the ED150 on the mount, like a cover.
glen how long is the geoptik it, i need one for a 127mm meade
Old 19-12-2020, 01:37 PM
anj026
Plyscope

Looks like 1300 x 230 x 240, I just ordered one.

https://www.testar.com.au/collection...fractors-150-8

Thanks for the tip Glen!

This one might be better for your Meade Daniel. It's similar just shorter at 1050 long. Edit; just realized your Meade is 1200 oops!

https://www.testar.com.au/collection...fractors-150-5

Last edited by anj026; 19-12-2020 at 06:31 PM.