Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 16-02-2021, 05:40 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Dual or triad/trio imaging system, need opinions please

Hi all,

Yesterday i tested my dual imaging setup again but i didn't make more frames or enough data as i got busy and distracted, and that was the best situation for testing that, i ended up with data of two filters in short time, that it wasn't possible if i was using only one camera and one filter, so that definitely strengthen my plan for having too many things at once.

Now because i am having three scopes one of them is still not arriving, i calculated what i need as scopes to make this dual/trio imaging system possible, and for that i wanted some help from you to find out what scopes should i get if possible.

A. Wide field range [270mm-320mm]:
  • I have ordered 90mm F/6, it is 540mm, if i buy Apex 0.65x reducer and say APS-C that will put me in about 280-310mm focal length zone, and my second scope for that range to be used with 4/3" i was thinking strongly about Askar FRA400 and its own 0.7x reducer, this way i finished two setups, then i just have to see which third scope to go if i want to use one more mono camera i have between QHY163M or ASI1600, Sharpstar 61II is in my mind but its old generation reducer they says it causes CA, so in this case if i get this combo then i only have to use either Ha or SII filter with it, is that making sense or i better buy also a well full corrected scope APO so i don't get limited with which filter to be used with it? Third scope is optional, and it is cheaper so it is just in my mind to add or not.

B. Mid field range [500mm-700mm]:
  • For this i have this 90mm F/6 triplet again at native for 540mm, and i also have my GSO 6" F/4 Newt which is giving 600mm, and there is 0.9x reducer, it will make it 540mm also, at this range i don't need many scopes than two anyway, not sure i will do much at this range more than wide field or long field, but if you have any idea of what can be suited there if i want to make three, what that will be?

C. Long field range [800mm-1500mm]:
  • For now i have only Meade 8" F/5 which is 1000mm focal length, there is 0.9x reducer CC to make it 900mm or using Paracorr to make it 1150 according to that barlow effect from PC, i am worrying a lot in this range as it started to be at limits of my mount, so it means i have to find a scope small weight maybe but giving something like 900mm up to 1200mm to be paired with 8" F/5, i prefer a refractor so i don't worry about crossed spikes from two reflectors, i can't depend on my 7" Mak unless there is a nice reducer for it and i use maybe at least a full frame camera, so i will ignore the Mak here, what could be a possible match at this range then without spikes? This one is what made me to think about another mount cheaper, but i might end up with same weight or even more than 8" Newt here, and that will change the plan for cheap mount anyway.

I know many here don't like this idea or goi9ng dual or multiple system or whatever, but in my case i really like it, and i want to do it so i focus less on the nights i am spending with only one setup, no matter issues there, i can manage by the time, so i hope to see your suggestions and recommendations, thanks.
Old 18-02-2021, 07:26 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Yep, buy that 0.65x reducer and you're done, easy.

Enjoy the rig!
Old 18-02-2021, 12:46 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Yep, buy that 0.65x reducer and you're done, easy.

Enjoy the rig!
Not only 0.65x reducer, but also APS-C camera, to have that really wide field for about 300mm or wider, i already ordered the scope and i am still waiting it in a month or two, but i hope to save budget for the camera also.
Old 19-02-2021, 09:07 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Ok
Old 20-02-2021, 02:32 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Ok
Thank you