Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Smile Some Questions about the Upcoming Titan Transit:

I'm really looking forward to this event.

According to Stellarium, 19:50pm will have Titan at its peak as it transits across Saturn ON THE 12/3/09 Does the sound about right?

Also I note the MOON...its right next to Saturn or very close. I assume this should not be too much of a problem?

Could anyone suggest what colour filter might give good results?

I missed the other transits but have arranged time off, in an attempt to spot this event with my 12” Dob.

I don’t suppose anyone can give any hints or tips to assist with my attempt?

I hope the storm up north will blow out by then & those of us around south east QLD won’t have to worry about clouds for this event. I take it this is the last one for another 15 years. Fingers crossed...I’m yet to observe a transit with Saturn. I’ll be 55 before i get another chance...I’ll probably need a bigger scope then.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Dave

That sounds about right for QLD. The screenshot here is for a bit later, but if you take an hour off for QLD it's pretty close.

I think for QLD'ers, anywhere between 8pm through to 11pm would give you something to see.

The bright moon won't help, but it won't hinder too much. What you really want/need is good seeing - and there's no filters or anything else that can help with that.

The weather is supposed to be raining all week down here, so another transit missed

There is some shadow transits over the next few months, and some more Titan transits next year - so don't despair if you miss this one.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Thanks for the added info Mike.
Clouds rolling in today, but one can still hope...never know. Good to know there will be some over events happening.