Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 02-10-2017, 02:33 PM
gregbradley

A different Milky Way image

Here is another daunting processing task. The sky was taken with 3 panels of 6 x 30 seconds x ISO3200 F2.8 Loxia 21mm lens tracked and the landscape an Irix 15mm F2.4 lens untracked and long exposure single images.

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get a result with this one. Processing was tough. Photoshop surprisingly came to the rescue.

One lesson from these 2 panos - always take the landscape component in sequence with the sky shots. Don't take a separate series or if you do try to replicate the same angle the landscape was taken at. I took these landscapes at the same time as the sky and there was no real trouble lining them up. The other pano they weren't and there was real trouble lining them up (accidentally used a different lens for the landscape on the other pano a well).

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/166315999/large

Greg.Attachment 219001
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MW Bigga sept 17 L21 F2.8 ISO3200 3 x 6 x 30secs 3 x 180 secs V3 thumb.jpg)
195.3 KB120 views
Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

That’s quite nice Greg, that Irix lens is brilliant.

I haven’t done any wide field panoramas so it’s a good suggestion.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
That’s quite nice Greg, that Irix lens is brilliant.

I haven’t done any wide field panoramas so it’s a good suggestion.
Thanks Colin. Replacing the landscape component of the stacked sky images with the untracked landscape component is the hard part.

Greg.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:57 AM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Love this one Greg. I have never had the patience to blend tracked and un-tracked images together to form a nightscape, but I can certainly appreciate that it would be difficult to get exactly right in most circumstances. Especially throwing in the added difficulties of the panorama. I like how it still has a nice balance in terms of brightness between the foreground and sky. I have seen a few blends that look a bit too HDR like for my tastes. Definitely going to check out that Irix lens after your glowing review. I'm in the market to replace my aging 14mm Sammy, so it could be the one.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:22 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapturingTheNight View Post
Love this one Greg. I have never had the patience to blend tracked and un-tracked images together to form a nightscape, but I can certainly appreciate that it would be difficult to get exactly right in most circumstances. Especially throwing in the added difficulties of the panorama. I like how it still has a nice balance in terms of brightness between the foreground and sky. I have seen a few blends that look a bit too HDR like for my tastes. Definitely going to check out that Irix lens after your glowing review. I'm in the market to replace my aging 14mm Sammy, so it could be the one.

It was VERY difficult to blend and I had almost given up. Then I gave Photoshop's blend tool a go and it worked.

I am trying out Topaz remask as I have read its great for making accurate masks for the sky/landscape section.

This one was needlessly harder as well because the landscape was with the Irix 15 and the sky was with the Zeiss Loxia 21mm.

For $587 the Irix Firefly 15mm F2.4 is hard to beat. The click stop at Infinity focus is worth it by itself.

Greg.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:10 PM
matt34 (Matt)

Nice work Greg on both of these, I wouldnt have the patience to merge stacked and unstacked images. Well done.

I found Microsoft ICE surprisingly good and pano stitching but have never thrown it a task like this
Old 14-10-2017, 09:23 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt34 View Post
Nice work Greg on both of these, I wouldnt have the patience to merge stacked and unstacked images. Well done.

I found Microsoft ICE surprisingly good and pano stitching but have never thrown it a task like this
Thanks Matt.

I have only briefly tested Microsoft ICE and it does seem very good.

Greg.