Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Domol (Domenic)
Bring on the night!

Losmandy counter weights for G11

I'm seeking other buyers to join me in manufactured order.

I'm requiring only a few Kg of extra counterweight for my telescope configuration but am dumbfounded by the cost of counterweights!.

I have sort to get these weights manufactured locally. After all they are just weight! However I’m now confronted by minimum order size so I’m seeking other parties to join me in sharing the cost of a manufactured order.

I’m able to source 8 x ring shaped (donut) 4”Outer Diameter x 1 ¼” Inner Diameter x 28mm thick for around $240. These weight 1.6kg each. These should suit the losmandy mount only but don’t have any locking mechanism. They could sit on other counterweight or you could use hose clamps to secure these in a particular position. Two of these weights would be equivalent to the Losmandy 7lb weight.

However I only need 2, so therefore seek other parties to join me in buying the other 6 counterweights. I’d need $30 for each counter weight and the buyer would need to cover postage costs for their own order. Using the aussie post site I think up to 5kg can be sent for $17.50 using prepaid satchels but please check your own situation (I'm in Melbourne)

These weights would be suitable to fine tune your balancing in addition to your current counter weights. They’d be in raw steel, so would just need a coat of spray paint. I hope I can find some interest. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks
Regards Domenic
Old 16-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Domol (Domenic)
Bring on the night!

bump, if I may
Old 17-03-2017, 06:18 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Domenic

ioptron weights for ieq45 are well made with brass locking pins and approx 28mm bore. They are cheaper than others.

https://www.ioptron.com/product-p/8027-05.htm

If you can't find any partners and you only want 2, suggest you buy a couple of those and get them bored by your fitter to 31.75mm?

You would be surprised how much steel costs and how much time it takes to machine and thread tap. A friend of mine did a quote for an IIS member about a year ago just as a favour to me. He wanted 2 x 200mm diam, 20kg counterweights large bore. The steel alone cost price was about $200. People who don't machine metal frequently don't understand how long it takes.

I recently made 6 small custom threaded T nuts for a finder with 3mm metric thread inside and stepped 6-10mm outside diameters. took me 3 hrs to make 6. I did it in the workshop with professional fitters around. I asked them how long it would take them and they said they might do it slightly faster but not much. Tapping a long thread in a steel counterweight for the locking pin is a very time consuming job.

Joe

Last edited by OzEclipse; 17-03-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 20-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Domol (Domenic)
Bring on the night!

Hi Joe, Thanks for your comments and ideas. I don't doubt steel is expensive and it's a time consuming process to make the counter weight. I thought I’d use the forum to "pool" some buyers but i also understand Losmandy is not that common in Australia and anyone who has a Losmandy mount probably already have enough counterweights. But I wanted to try anyway Thanks again
Old 21-03-2017, 06:29 AM
Gary47 (Gary)

Cheaper alternative

Hi Domenic,
If you are not concerned about appearances weightlifting barbel weights are a cheap alternative if you can find them in Opportunity shops they are much cheaper than steel bar. I bought a couple of weights recently for $15 total weight 30 Kg. They would need to be bored and perhaps reduced in diameter.
I have also seen small one hand barbel weights that are around 60 mm diameter, again they would need to be cut and bored
Gary
Old 28-04-2017, 12:03 AM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

I'd be interested in 2x if they had the locking mechanism.

On a side note you dont need to spray paint steel..