Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 04:12 PM
NCRAW

Best manual alt-az mount under 10kg payload

Hi guys

I had a post in the wanted section looking for a Explore Scientific Twilight alt-az Mount. Used to own a heq5pro but I never ended up using it and eventually sold it and now my Celestron Onyx ED80 is looking for a mount. It’s a short tube and eventually my dream is to get a Takahashi 100 so I’m thinking a < 10kg payload should be sufficient.

What are the recommendations for a non motorised manual control alt-az. Something around the 300-350 max. Maybe even if I search second hands. This would be for lunar and planetary viewing. No Astrophoto.

Many thanks.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:08 PM
billdan (Bill)

Bintel has the SkyView Deluxe for $399, and can handle a 9Kg payload. I have never used one so I can't comment on how good it is. All the cheaper ones seem to only cope with a 5Kg payload.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bi...v=6cc98ba2045f
Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM
NCRAW

Thanks mate. Yes seen the bintel but doesn’t look nice. I know one member suggested the new sky watcher az5
Old 08-06-2019, 05:44 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I've been contemplating the AZ5 as a smaller alt-az as well. In the thread below you'll see a happy owner using it with a Tak FC100DF on a heavy duty tripod.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3...z5-mount-head/

Last edited by MortonH; 08-06-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Wavytone

Hi NCRAW,

A few alternatives:

1. If you have a reasonable tripod, there is the Hercules mount available from AliExpress, in two sizes. See https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...z-mount/page-3

I have the 4" version and it has belt drives with an 8:1 reduction which turns out to be fine with a small scope like my 70mm pictured below. The downside with this is that it does not include the counterweight bar or counterweight and its a real ***** to find one that fits and these will add to the cost. Details in my post on page 3 of CN if you need one.

2. There's also this basic alt-az head from TS
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...p-to-6-kg.html

To this you need to add:

- a dovetail base,
- counterweight shaft, and
- 1kg stainless counterweight

These are all available from TS. You also need a solid tripod to support this, and if you have to buy all the bits including tripod other alternatives may be attractive.

3. Skywatcher AZ5 mount. This is a pure manual alt-az mount, with worms for fine adjustment, nicely made and solid. Ive seen one with a 127mm Mak so small refractors will also fit, no problem.

4. Up your budget a tad and buy the Skywatcher All-View mount.

I tried one and I think it is excellent value, and much underrated IMHO as SW seem to market it as a panorama head for cameras, but it has a full function SYNSCAN GOTO handset, and comes with tripod. It is perfect for small scopes like your 80mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Hercules mount.jpg)
44.0 KB204 views

Last edited by Wavytone; 08-06-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:17 PM
NCRAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
I've been contemplating the AZ5 as a smaller alt-az as well. In the thread below you'll see a happy owner using it with a Tak FC100DF.

Thanks mate. I think I like it. Even more than the ES Twilight only thing it says it’s only 5kg payload vs the ES Twilight which is 8kg

Last edited by NCRAW; 08-06-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I like my Stellarvue M2 mount - works very nicely with my 4” refractor and apparently it is useful up to 130mm-class triplet when attached to a sturdy tripod. Stellarvue’s website states capacity of 25 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (56FD2507-E30E-4E8C-8F4E-094F0F579C28.jpg)
205.6 KB216 views
Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
I've been contemplating the AZ5 as a smaller alt-az as well. In the thread below you'll see a happy owner using it with a Tak FC100DF.

It looks like it would definitely do the job but i can't understand why Skywatcher can't get the concept of non-marring saddles , I purchased a AZ-GTI and before i even used it changed the saddle because if you have expensive rings and dovetails the last thing you want is them marked IMO
Old 08-06-2019, 07:30 PM
NCRAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
I like my Stellarvue M2 mount - works very nicely with my 4” refractor and apparently it is useful up to 130mm-class triplet when attached to a sturdy tripod. Stellarvue’s website states capacity of 25 pounds.
What would one of these cost?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRAW View Post
Thanks mate. I think I like it. Even more than the ES Twilight only thing it says it’s only 5kg payload vs the ES Twilight which is 8kg

Payload is 5kg with the lightweight tripod but 9kg with the heavy duty tripod (which is the same as the HEQ5 tripod but with 3/8"-16 bolt instead of 10mm). Pushes the price up a bit though and since the AZ5 is quite new you might have trouble finding a used one.

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/Mount...nlessLegs.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Andrews_AZ5.jpg)
109.8 KB170 views

Last edited by MortonH; 08-06-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:01 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Another thing to consider is whether you want slow motion controls. Many people (myself included) find them invaluable for tracking at higher powers.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
It looks like it would definitely do the job but i can't understand why Skywatcher can't get the concept of non-marring saddles , I purchased a AZ-GTI and before i even used it changed the saddle because if you have expensive rings and dovetails the last thing you want is them marked IMO
Agreed. And unlike Vixen or GSO models the AZ5 doesn't look as if the saddle can be replaced easily.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Bintel has the SkyView Deluxe for $399, and can handle a 9Kg payload. I have never used one so I can't comment on how good it is. All the cheaper ones seem to only cope with a 5Kg payload.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bi...v=6cc98ba2045f
I have one and it works very well with my 130mm F/5 newt. Andrews has the same model under the "GSO" brand for $299. Great grab n go setup.

The AZ motion on my example is a tad stiff, but it might get worked in with more usage. I only assembled mine last month and has been outside perhaps 5 times. It is however a solid mount and will take an 80mm refractor, most definitely a short tube, with ease. That being said, I haven't suffered "stiction" with mine, and is nice and smooth with my ota. The slo-mos work well, although with the ALT, you have to tighten the locking screw when using it at low elevations and/or with heavy eyepieces. The mount does come with both the 2 slow mo cables, and a big knob, you can substitute them depending on whether you are using a frac or newt. I use the cable on the ALT axis and the knob on the AZ for my newt.

I myself am after an Alt-Az for a 72/432mm refractor, so will be watching this thread with interest Goto, computers, etc need not apply
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (vix.jpg)
194.2 KB227 views

Last edited by pgc hunter; 08-06-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:45 PM
NCRAW

Quote:
Another thing to consider is whether you want slow motion controls. Many people (myself included) find them invaluable for tracking at higher powers.
Def prefer slow motion. By that u mean the manual knobs?

It’s a nice mount. How does it compare to the ES Twlight, I’m not sure but the twilight is 100 dollars cheaper and can get further discount from eBay.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:49 PM
NCRAW

Great feedback mate. Many thanks. Is the aluminium tripod as stable as the SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
I have one and it works very well with my 130mm F/5 newt. Andrews has the same model under the "GSO" brand for $299. Great grab n go setup.

The AZ motion on my example is a tad stiff, but it might get worked in with more usage. I only assembled mine last month and has been outside perhaps 5 times. It is however a solid mount and will take an 80mm refractor, most definitely a short tube, with ease. That being said, I haven't suffered "stiction" with mine, and is nice and smooth with my ota. The slo-mos work well, although with the ALT, you have to tighten the locking screw when using it at low elevations and/or with heavy eyepieces. The mount does come with both the 2 slow mo cables, and a big knob, you can substitute them depending on whether you are using a frac or newt. I use the cable on the ALT axis and the knob on the AZ for my newt.

I myself am after an Alt-Az for a 72/432mm refractor, so will be watching this thread with interest Goto, computers, etc need not apply
Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 PM
pgc hunter

By 'SS' I'm assuming you mean stainless steel? Steel will be more stable, but keep in mind it is also heavier.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRAW View Post
Def prefer slow motion. By that u mean the manual knobs?

It’s a nice mount. How does it compare to the ES Twlight, I’m not sure but the twilight is 100 dollars cheaper and can get further discount from eBay.
Yes, the manual knobs to turn the mount instead of just pushing it.

Note that I've read quite a few reports of flexure in the arm of the Twilight 1. I wouldn't expect it to do so well with a 4" refractor.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-at-voyager-2/
Old 09-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

IF as has been said you could use an EQ5 mount then that defeats lightweight and portability ease, personally I prefer a heavier mount, sorry, and have one in the car at all times.

The SkyTee re badged for Skywatcher (Synta).

ANY of the skywatcher cheap mounts such as the ones used on the AZ5 and Solar Tracker are terrible, I know, I had one free with a scope see attached, get a decent mount that can hold it's own.

SkyTee..... sorry

See scopes on skytee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKvRG28dwnc
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (a.jpg)
182.0 KB197 views
Click for full-size image (P1050532.jpg)
170.1 KB190 views

Last edited by Ukastronomer; 10-06-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 PM
pgc hunter

I was going to get an AZ5 with the portable tripod for my newly acquired WO Megrez 72. However, the little fella in person is surprisingly big and heavy, and that is only the OTA itself. The thing legit feels like it is bullet proof. I may have to spring for the steel tripod version! Ofcourse, that also future proofs, leaving open options for more otas down the track.

Last edited by pgc hunter; 09-06-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:29 AM
NCRAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
By 'SS' I'm assuming you mean stainless steel? Steel will be more stable, but keep in mind it is also heavier.
Sorry yes. Stainless.