Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 03-02-2020, 03:47 PM
joachimong (Joachim)

Heading to Sydney - Looking for Astro mates

Hi everyone! I'm an undegrad from Singapore on exchange to USyd this semester; hoping to check out the local astro scene and take some dark sky trips during the new moon periods. Thought it'd be nice to say hi on this forum!

I've been into astronomy since I was a kid and am now an avid astrophotographer with interests in both deep sky and planetary. I'm really looking forward to taking advantage of the skies you guys enjoy and plan to do some wide field imaging with a Star adventurer, Samyang 135mm, and a DIY modded D5500A. (Feel free to recommend any interesting/exotic targets!)

Wondering if its common for you guys to do mini star parties every new moon? Perhaps even hitch a ride to a dark site - happy to chip in for gas etc! In Singapore we occasionally have groups heading up into Malaysia so thought there might be something similar.

Or would it be worth while to join one of the clubs? ASNSW seems to take monthly trips to their site which looks pretty good. I'm open to suggestions! Also excited to visit the SPSP; if anyone has tips on doing that.

Hope to meet you guys soon!
If you'd like to check out my images, feel free to follow me at
https://www.instagram.com/cosmic_palette/

And here sharing my shot of the recent annular eclipse in Singapore :
https://flic.kr/p/2ieQ1QV
Old 04-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Joachim,
welcome to IceInSpace

To see any up-coming star parties or mini astro camps you should keep an eye on the Star Parties, Club and Community Events forum on this site.

Info on SPSP will no doubt be published there when it is organised.

Sorry I can't help with Astrophotography, as I am purely visual observing.

Hope you enjoy your stay under southern skies and get to enjoy them (as soon as this smoke and haze clears).

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Joe
Welcome
Got a tent? I can offer you a spot. PM me if you are curious.
Alex
Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Hi there Joachim,

There has not been many observing opportunities lately, but let us hope skies clear soon. I can offer a site just 2 hours south of Sydney in the Southern Highlands if you have a car. If not you can catch a train, but would likely have to stay overnight. As for the SPSP, registrations usually open in March, get in early and pay. I am sure someone (possibly me) could give you a lift and or help with some camping gear. It is a great weekend.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:41 PM
joachimong (Joachim)

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome. Really looking forward to SPSP, it'll be my first proper star party. Also thanks Allan for the link, brings up many more posts than clicking through the forum page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Hi there Joachim,

I can offer a site just 2 hours south of Sydney in the Southern Highlands if you have a car. If not you can catch a train, but would likely have to stay overnight.
Hi John, sounds interesting if it is accessible by train. Any chance there are facilities on site?

Last edited by joachimong; 05-02-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:50 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Hi John, sounds interesting if it is accessible by train. Any chance there are facilities on site?[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I have misled you, I am only offering a dark observing site, and help with transport from Bowral railway station. Are you already in Sydney? I will pm you with more details if you are keen.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:41 PM
joachimong (Joachim)

Nope not in Sydney yet, but will be in time for the new moon weekend next week. No real plans yet but might combine an astro trip with a bit of traveling. Still exploring my options but would be most grateful if you are keen to share a site, drop me a pm me if it's convenient for you.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:52 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachimong View Post
Nope not in Sydney yet, but will be in time for the new moon weekend next week. No real plans yet but might combine an astro trip with a bit of traveling. Still exploring my options but would be most grateful if you are keen to share a site, drop me a pm me if it's convenient for you.
Well, next Friday I arrive in Sydney and after the weekend we look for a location outside where it is dark. What are your plans ?
Old 11-02-2020, 11:53 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Joachim ,

I've sent you a PM (private message) regarding the Blue Mountains Astro Club and your visit to Sydney.

Alex.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:12 PM
joachimong (Joachim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Well, next Friday I arrive in Sydney and after the weekend we look for a location outside where it is dark. What are your plans ?
My classes begin 24th Feb; weekends would be good to explore locations further out, but quick night trips out of Sydney on weekdays might be possible.