Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2018, 01:00 PM
leon

My parcel was quicker than Australia Post

Hi Guys,
I have never had an issue with Australia Post, however this is quite a funny incidence.

To make a long story short, I had to send off my Canon 70-200mm Lens off to Canon Repair place in Sydney for a estimate cost to repair the damage to the electronics of this unit.

I posted it last Friday afternoon and they sent me an email Tuesday morning that it had arrived and was in the hands of the people who assess the work required.

Now that is pretty good service over the weekend an all.

Anyway just for the hell of it i typed in the tracking number for this parcel and it told me it was still in transit and would probably arrive Wednesday (today) one day after it was actually delivered

Now that is different

Leon
Old 10-01-2018, 01:44 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Leon.....the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in Aussie Post...

One day this will happen ... you'll receive your parcel even before it has been mailed to you ....

Col.....
Old 10-01-2018, 05:41 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Since being back in the USA, I've been impressed, even in awe of the USPS. They have services that I could only have dreamed of in Australia. AusPost could definately learn a few things and if they could afford to upgrade, the service could dramatically improve. With luck, the arrival of Amazon could aid in that journey. I hope that when I return to Australia in a few years, that threads like this one are a rarity...

For example, I use "Informed Delivery". Since all letters are scanned, I get a preview of what is coming into my mailbox on a daily basis. As my mailbox sits about 1/4 mile away, this makes it easier for me to determine if I have to go pick it up or not (especially since it was -18C last week).

Example screenshots enclosed of the mail that was delivered on Monday (none today) and the most recent packages, along with tracking screens. (all redacted for privacy reasons).

Note that it's divided into two categories. 1) Letters and 2) Packages. What's amazing is that the tracking system is very accurate, even to Australia. I confirmed deliver to Sydney (my son lives there) and the time/date was accurate to the minute.

Also included a video link re: how the USPS processes mail.

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mail.jpg)
142.5 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Packages.jpg)
140.1 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (Tracking.jpg)
112.3 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (Tracking to AU.jpg)
111.7 KB18 views

Last edited by OICURMT; 10-01-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Spelling Corrections
Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I found USPS great I've had a couple of items from central US arrive here in four days from payment being recieved.

Similarly to you leon I got a couple of tee shirts from the US the tracking no said departed JFK and that was it nothing for two weeks , pretty sure planes cant stay in the air that long,find the shirts at my front door all the track info shows up two days later.

Reading a funny FB repost today on Aus now ranked 55 behind
Kazakstan in download speeds worldwide maybe we expect a little to much of our service industry here .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (26169470_1843345512404219_3637846984450127279_n.jpg)
112.7 KB29 views
Old 11-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Aus Post is obviously picking their game up. Have recently had two emails to inform me that packages have already been delivered to me 12/01/18. (tomorrow; not that they're coming, but confirming delivery already has occurred tomorrow)

Wonder if they're teleporting them?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:09 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I mostly use Direct Freight Express from Sydney for parcels. They almost always get my parcels to Brisbane metro / Melbourne Metro / Sydney metro overnight at very reasonable cost. It's not uncommon for them to pick up stock from me at 5pm and have it delivered interstate the following morning (and that's their standard service).
Old 14-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Sent a parcel to the Gold Coast last Saturday and it arrived on the Monday.

Maybe Aus. Post are starting to listen.
Old 14-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Wilso

Definetly Aust post need to improve and I think are slowly getting better.
They should look at USPS and their upto date detailed tracking. It's great.
I now get all my parcels delivered to the post office using the parcel collect no. it's free and they notify you when it has arrived and will hold it for up to a month.
Old 15-01-2018, 11:31 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Anyway just for the hell of it i typed in the tracking number for this parcel and it told me it was still in transit and would probably arrive Wednesday (today) one day after it was actually delivered
Not only they can ship parcels forwards in time but today I had one that got shipped backwards in time... or was it the other way around
Apparently it got delivered and I even signed for it today. Haven't seen it yet though, I am hoping me from tomorrow will have received it.

Last edited by luka; 16-01-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 16-01-2018, 11:03 PM
luka
Unregistered User

And a quick update, the parcel actually got delivered today after a notification yesterday that it was delivered yesterday

I think that the Australia Post notification service operates outside the scope of normal time... or maybe in the Twilight Zone