Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 23-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Help measuring CMOS performance

Hi there,

I've tried two methods of measuring my ASI1600's individual performance and can't get either to work.

I've tried following Craig Stark's tutorial, and the BasicCCDproperties Script in Pixinsight.

The PI script fails to execute, citing an error regarding the variable 'this.x0'. Some have suggested simply removing the variable from that line. I've tried that too, to no avail.

Doing it manually via Craig Stark's tutorial, I get stuck at the flats section.

So, I have to take pairs of flats where the only thing that changes is the number of photons hitting the sensor. Rodger that.

But the numbers are killing me here.

From what I can tell, I take one flat (presumably the brighter one) and read the mean value, say 38629. Then I multiply by 2 to get 77,258 (why? I don't know and he doesn't say)

Then I make a difference image with a 5000 pedestal value added to the first image to make sure everything comes out in positive numbers and no data is clipped. I don't have ImageJ, whatever that is, so I try pixelMath in PixInsight. I edit the expression to read "(image2+5000)-image 1"

At this point, every single pixel is maxed out to white. If I change the pedestal value to anything other than 0 or 1, it maxes out.

At this point I'm stuck because the tutorial is good on what to do, but not so good on why, so it's hard to extrapolate a solution when things go awry.

I can read off the values in PI statistics but is avgDev or MAD the same as a Standard Deviation?

I don't mind getting my hands dirty in a spreadsheet, but I don't really understand what he's doing. Surely the pedestal value thing means all your data will be wrong by 5000 if you don't subtract it out later on, which puts you in the same situation of clipping? If you need positive numbers, and neither flat frame has priority here, you can simply subtract the smaller value from the greater value with no need for a pedestal. And why does it have to be mean *2?

If someone could just tell me "take these values from PI statistics and do this with them in a spreadsheet" I'd be so grateful.

I also notice there is a difference in methodology between the script and the tutorial in that the script wants two flats that are taken under the same conditions, whereas the tutorial wants sets of two flats taken at the same settings with only the light level increasing between sets.

Any help gratefully received.

Best

Markus
Old 23-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Markus,
""I don't have ImageJ, whatever that is,""
It's well worth getting ImageJ as a good software tool for many of the things we do (or would like to do) in astronomy. I use it to assist in processing the solar spectroheliograph data.
https://imagej.net/Welcome

The review by Christian Buil may be helpful.
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/atik_vs_zwo/
Old 23-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Markus,
Looking at the method described... the x2 comes from the formula used:
m = 2 x mean(Flat1)
Old 23-11-2018, 02:01 PM
glend (Glen)

Might be worth dropping a message to Jon Rista over on CN. Jon did the 1600 beta testing for ZWO and seems to have numbers on everything.
Old 23-11-2018, 02:04 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

You could cheat. The latest sharpcap pro has a routine that will work out all your camera specs. Or is this more an exercise is figuring out what it all means.

Edit: wow this is interesting. It's the same biological systems such as in channels in membranes - a poisson process hence you use the mean and variance to determine the gain of system

Last edited by ChrisV; 23-11-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 23-11-2018, 02:10 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Markus,

I used the BasicCCDParameters script recently to characterise my ASI1600mm and ASI294. If you want to upload the raw files (2 flats, 2 bias, a short dark and a long dark) somewhere I'm sure I can get it to work. I know enough JavaScript to be dangerous and if there's a bug this would be a good time to fix it - 1.8.6 is being tested by PTeam members right now.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 24-11-2018, 10:08 AM
ericwbenson (Eric)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Then I make a difference image with a 5000 pedestal value added to the first image to make sure everything comes out in positive numbers and no data is clipped. I don't have ImageJ, whatever that is, so I try pixelMath in PixInsight. I edit the expression to read "(image2+5000)-image 1"

At this point, every single pixel is maxed out to white. If I change the pedestal value to anything other than 0 or 1, it maxes out.

Hi, I think the problem here is that PI normalizes pixels values into the range 0..1. So that 5000 adu pedestal should be interpreted in PI speak as ~0.1. I think that would solve the maxing out to white you encountered.

Best,
EB
Old 24-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Hi Markus,

I used the BasicCCDParameters script recently to characterise my ASI1600mm and ASI294. If you want to upload the raw files (2 flats, 2 bias, a short dark and a long dark) somewhere I'm sure I can get it to work. I know enough JavaScript to be dangerous and if there's a bug this would be a good time to fix it - 1.8.6 is being tested by PTeam members right now.

Cheers,
Rick.
Thanks Rick,

I'll see if I can upload them later on today. In the meantime, what numbers did you end up with, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

Markus
Old 24-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

With my ASI1600 at Gain 76 I had a read noise of ~2.1e- and 12-bit of dynamic range.
By Gain 139 (unity) I was getting ~1.59e- and I cannot remember the bit depth.

With my QHY163M at Gain 80 I get 1.9e- and 12-bit dynamic range.
At Gain 140 I get about 1.55e- and cannot remember the dynamic range.

I don't often bother about calculating the dark current personally.
Old 24-11-2018, 11:39 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
I'll see if I can upload them later on today. In the meantime, what numbers did you end up with, if you don't mind me asking?
Hi Markus,

A screen grab of my spreadsheet is attached. Set point was -20C.

PM me if you get a chance to upload the files.

Cheers,
Rick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ASI1600mm.jpg)
185.6 KB36 views
Old 26-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Hey, Rick,

thanks so much for uploading your files, it's been invaluable.

With that as a guide I've managed to trouble-shoot a number of issues and my data is looking similar to yours. I've also learned out how to retrofit trend lines and derive the formulae in order to determine intermediate values, which is handy.

But, I'm a bit stuck with the Dark current.

According to Craig Stark, if you look at the mean for a bias frame and subtract that value from your darks, you will be left with the dark current, which should increase linearly the longer you expose.

So at any one gain setting the determining factor is time. More time = more dark current.

I'm getting a non-linear relationship. Seemingly at all gain levels, increasing exposure yields less dark current.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I integrated 250 Bias frames at the same temperature, gain, offset and exposure settings as the darks.

Hmmm.

I've included the data below. It's in 12bit values because I prefer to convert at the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Non linear dark current.JPG)
24.4 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (Exposure sec.png)
11.2 KB20 views
Old 26-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Some of that could be due to the non-linear way in which amp glow grows. You could try doing the same thing on the central third of the frame (same in all of them) to see if that makes a difference.
Old 26-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Stonius (Markus)

In which direction is amp glow non-linear? Does it compound with time?
Old 26-11-2018, 08:41 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Markus,

I'm glad my data was helpful.

I don't have time for a more considered response tonight, but there also appear to be some issues with short frames on (some) CMOS sensors, including short darks and bias frames. I have also seen non-linear darks as a result of bias drift on CCD sensors.

Here's a post on the ASI294 that I'm still thinking about (and running tests to compare):

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...-and-opinions/

The ASI1600 seems much better behaved but I suspect it does suffer from some of the same issues to a lesser extent.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 26-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Some of that could be due to the non-linear way in which amp glow grows. You could try doing the same thing on the central third of the frame (same in all of them) to see if that makes a difference.
In terms of a regression line, Inotice that the exponential line isn't the best fit, power is, so instead of ;

Exponential
y=ab^x

It's more something along the lines of

Power
y=ax^b

is that in keeping with amp glow noise?

I am using the slowest USB transfer rate, though I am using the camera's inbuilt USB2 hub for the filterwheel. Maybe I should run it separately through the hub and see if the noise changes.

Best, M
Old 29-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Hey Rick,

Can I ask what Exposure times you were using for your darks to derive your dark current? Did you try several exposure lengths? And if you did, was the e-/sec the same for all exposures?

What I'm seeing in my data is a *fairly linear relationship between dark current and exposure length, but when I try to compare apples with apples by figuring out the actual e-/sec by dividing by exposure time, I get the dark current decreasing rapidly from 0.0274 e-/sec to a base of around 0.0096 e-/sec at Gain 139 (which is not too different from your data).

Once converted to e-/sec, shouldn't you get basically the same numbers for all sub lengths?

I can't think of kind of noise that *reduces rapidly as exposure increases. Usually it's the other way round.

That means without taking the sub-length into account my estimation of Dark Current may be out by as much as 186%.
I can only think of some residual thermal activity from the preceding sensor read.

I may try another series, leaving 10 minutes between reads to see if that is the issue.

It doesn't stop me imaging, of course. It just means that there is another variable to consider for determining optimum exposures, I guess. I'll also have to be very careful to get darks that are the exact same length as the subs (no scaling during calibration).

Cheers

Markus
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dark Current.JPG)
20.7 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (Exposure Time and Dark @139.png)
12.7 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (ADU.png)
9.3 KB14 views
Old 29-11-2018, 03:39 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Markus,

I gave the BasicCCDParameters script a 30 sec and a 300 sec dark.

I'm just running a set of new calibration files at -15C since I can't get to -20C without stressing the cooling too heavily in the current heat wave. I'll do a bit of analysis when I'm done (and it's cloudy!) and report back.

The chap that did the ASI294 analysis found that adding dummy 1 second frames between each calibration frame removed some unexpected variation so I'm doing that this time around to see if it also helps with the ASI1600.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 29-11-2018, 04:48 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I've also heard of people 'purging the sensor' between reads, but I don't know how to do that or if it's solely a CCD thing.

I didn't use the script in the end because a) I never got it to work and b) I wanted to know what goes on behind the scenes. I imagine taking two frames would not give enough information to determine how dark current reacts over time. Using that method, I get 0.0185e-/sec @Gain 139.

Cheers

Markus
Old 29-11-2018, 05:12 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
I've also heard of people 'purging the sensor' between reads, but I don't know how to do that or if it's solely a CCD thing.
That's for CCD sensors that suffer from RBI. The camera has an IR source and floods the sensor and equally messes up all the pixels

The BasicCCDParameters script assumes linear increase in dark current which is usually a reasonable assumption for CCD sensors but CMOS sensors do a lot of weird stuff.
Old 29-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Ah, sounds like I found some 'weird stuff' :-)

Oh well, good to know it's there.

Best,

M