Old 30-03-2010, 01:07 PM
skies2clear

DSLR recommendations

Hi everyone,

I am new "again" to astrophotography, having played around a lot many years ago when digital cameras didn't exist and SLR's used film! If I could ask what would be a decent DSLR these days suitable for this? Ok, maybe I'm asking how long a piece of string is and also everyone has different opinions, but if I could be steered towards certain models/brands, perhaps Canon/Nikon which have excellent reputations. I'm probably not interested in spending as much as $5000 or more on a camera at this stage, so is it possible to get something that has good resolution, good low light performance and good processing for a reasonable cost? If it means having to spend more than I expect then I would consider this and be open-minded, but it could mean a major rethink for me about it all. Maybe another way to word the question would be "what features should I look for?"

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated, or perhaps any previous thread links that have covered this before. I tried searching and found some bits and pieces here and there, but would like to also know your current thinking on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Clear skies
Nick
Old 30-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Nick,

Some might flame me, but, stick with Canon. All the features you need are there, as well as software support (you can use the bundled EOS Utility to do timed exposures as well as use third party products such as Nebulosity as a complete image capture and processing solution). Not to mention image quality.

If you have $5K to spend, you might actually want to look into a cooled monochrome CCD camera such as the SBIG ST-8300, or the QHY series of cameras. They'll give you far superior performance than a DSLR.

If you do want to stick with a DSLR, you could get a 5D Mark II body for under $3K now. Brilliant image quality, excellent high ISO performance, and, you could get it modified to pick up the hydrogen alpha wavelength. This process makes terrestrial imaging a bit of a hassle as you have to set the white balance manually.

I'll be selling my modified 40D in the next week or so you might want to keep an eye out on that. There is one person who has spoken for it already, but, need to confirm where that's going.

H
Old 30-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

It's better to buy a low end DSLR and then buy another in 2 or 3 years time with a new improved sensor. Unless you are a professional photographer, there's no point in paying for a lot of bells and whistles that you'll never use for astrowork.
Geoff
Old 30-03-2010, 05:12 PM
TheDecepticon

My two bobs, worth!!
If you're going to spend up to $5000 on a camera for astro work, don't spend it on a DSLR. Only spend that kind of money on a DSLR if you are going to use it for daytime work as well. Buy a dedicated astro camera, it will serve you better, for longer.
Old 30-03-2010, 05:14 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

After looking into this myself a 500D Canon seems to be very good value with good hot pixel performance.
Old 30-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Tallstock (Peter)

It might be worth looking into the latest Canon 550D released early March 2010. Thrilled with mine. Lots of change from $5k.
Peter
Old 30-03-2010, 07:13 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

why spend more money than you have to? unless you want to go cooled CCD route get a 1000D-saw it advertised for $669 somewhere and get it modified for H alpha

heck why not get a used 350 D and get it modified
spend the rest of your 5K on other stuff
Old 30-03-2010, 07:53 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hello Nick,
The Canon DSLRs have a very good suite of software which allows third party developers the ability to write applications which connect to them and use them as part of the app.

Nebulosity, Equinox and others come to mind here. Nebulosity is a very good capture program, which I use.

Low light performance (i.e. ISO > 1600) is important.

But the killer feature for you will be Live View, which allows you to focus your camera/scope in real time using a tether to your laptop. This cannot be beaten as a must have feature.

The cheapest Canon with Live View is the 1000D. It has an 11-bit A/D engine and ISO 1600. If you go to the 50D you get more bits (= good) and more ISO (= good).

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 31-03-2010, 06:09 PM
skies2clear

Thanks to everyone for your comments so far. To expand further, I was thinking of getting a decent camera for all round use, rather than dedicated to just astrophotography (well, my original intention anyway!). I also didn't want to spend $5k at this stage. A photographer friend, who admits he knows little about astrophotography, has been waxing lyrical about the Canon 5D Mk II with L series lenses. Having read some blurb on it, it does look impressive and features Full Frame- full sized chip (24-36mm). But I think the price is out of my league to be honest. However I noticed the 5D mk 1 sells used for $1500-$1600, which is more like it. It seems to me the latest 50D is about that price new, but according to some, it isn't a bull's raw within the 5D for performance (neither is the price). This might be harsh though, and I agree, I don't need much in the way of bells and whistles, in fact, a lot of things sold these days have a lot of "useless features" that don't impress me at all. The 5D II supposedly had good performance up to 1600ASA and beyond, so should work well for astronomy. I guess the Nikon D700 would be similar?

Next down might be the Canon 7D, though this is not full frame and has an APS-C chip.

From my meanderings, I have found 3 categories:
1/ Full frame - full sized chip (24-36mm)
2/ APS-C (premium)
3/ APS-C (budget)
Well, at least they are my categories, and please feel free to agree or disagree, as I admit not having practical experience, which counts for a LOT.

Moving down from Canon 7D (a premium APS-C model), looks like there is the 40D and 50D (slightly below the premium model). Then we have the APS-C budget models, 450D, 550D, etc.

I'm thinking out aloud here! Do you think this sounds reasonable or I am totally wrong on this?

I figured the best Canon lens series are the L- series, then the EF series, and after this we have the cheap crappy kit lenses supplies, which aren't that good. I have to consider what lenses to get with the camera if it is to be used for all round use.

So keeping it simpler with consideration of Canon only, I think at best, I might be looking at a used 5D mk 1, a 40 or 50D or even 350, 450, 500 or 550D?

From what you gents say here, if the camera is modified, this can make it difficult for terrestrial work? What exactly do they do to modify them to improve sensitivity at certain wavelengths?

Sorry about all the questions. Ok, I know no one will give you the definitive answer on what to buy, because there are too many considerations (cost, type of use, etc), but reading your impressions really does help a lot to narrow the choice down somewhat. Thanks again for your comments,

clear skies,
Nick
Old 31-03-2010, 07:26 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

something that everybody hasn't asked you yet!... what kind of setup are you plugging this camera into?

Something that everybody hasn't mentioned to you yet is the dreaded NOISE component.! Unlike the SLR's noise in digital cams is exponential! If you are using it for short exposures then you'll be fine. but if not GAME OVER.

Ive said it before in another post, if you just want to take pretty pictures for personal gratification then sure a DSLR is great, if you actually want to take good photos to hang on your wall... DSLR = BAD. the only exception to this formula is when your using dslrs in zero degree ambient temperatures.

I currently use a 40d, and sure its great and has taken some bonza images but those images have been when its very cold allowing the camera to pick up the fine detail without the noise obliterating it.!

In my opinion, a good sbig/qhy/FLI camera and a decent little point and shoot is what you want to be looking at, unless you are really into your daytime photography. There isn't really a way around it.

Why would you put normal tires on a race car?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
skies2clear

Thanks, points taken. I will initially get a DSLR for all round use and play around with astrophotography. I won't be spending over $1500 to $2000 likely. So I'll see where this leads me and at least get started again. Thanks for the advice,

clear skies
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Nick,

I have a modified 40D for sale in the imaging equipment classifieds, if you're interested.

H
Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 AM
solissydney (Ken)

If I was you I would snap up the 5D camera body for sale at present under "Cameras and Imaging. A real bargain.
Ken
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 AM
skies2clear

Thanks for the headsup on the cameras for sale. Interesting........
clear skies
Old 13-04-2010, 03:14 PM
solissydney (Ken)

5d

Dave,
my private e-mail to you seems to have gone to "Nick" . ??
I am interested in how you got the camera to control your setup
Ken