Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 28-07-2020, 04:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Heating your mount.

I was thinking today having been out with temps at zero would your mount benefit from being warm..it would seem to me it would operate better if at 20 degrees C rather than near zero...wouldn't lubrication be better and less binding with gears?
Bit bored waiting for 1000 subs to stack in DSS...
Alex
Old 28-07-2020, 04:08 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I was thinking today having been out with temps at zero would your mount benefit from being warm..it would seem to me it would operate better if at 20 degrees C rather than near zero...wouldn't lubrication be better and less binding with gears?
Alex
I've been covering my mount for a while now while imaging and the short answer is yes. There are definite benefits doing that. Not that much the grease because they're designed for wider range of temperature your mount will be subjected to but in terms of meshing, binding and especially dew and water contamination with bearings and other bits, electronics, etc... it makes a big difference.
Old 28-07-2020, 04:15 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Alex

Different lubrications are rated for different operating temperatures because of changes in viscosity, as you suggest. So as long as you haven't done a rebuild with the wrong grease, you should be fine. A lot of people use Superlube or Molybdenum paste,

Cheers

Markus
Old 28-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I've been using a 12V "Doggie Blanket" on and of for years.
Just throw it over the mount (in your case) or in an an observatory over the scope and mount to reduce dewing at the end of the session etc.

(can't see the 12V version...but looks similar)
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2165053985

(this is like mine: https://www.amazon.com.au/Roadpro-12.../dp/B0009Y2CFS)
Old 28-07-2020, 06:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank gentlemen.
I had no idea they had pet blankets and 12 volt..I need two..one for the scope and one for me...
Alex
Old 28-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Condensation. Good reason not to leave your mount out in the cold night air for days. It builds up over time inside the mount and drips from any cover into the electronics , corroding the ports.

Also heat under a dark cover during the day is intense enough to broil the parts.

A cover should be sealed from the night air or heated , insulated and shaded in the day or white , vented to let hot air out but keep humid air out also. So easier to bring the mount in really or install heated fan vented covers.

Looks like I need a doggy blanket then. Or a fan heater out there. Ha.

Last edited by Sunfish; 29-07-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 29-07-2020, 12:02 AM
glend (Glen)

Two things: when not in use, and without a scope mounted, I heat my mount. I made a simple reflective foil insulation shroud which slips over the mount. I use a 25W incadesent bulb under the shroud to generate a little heat (it is one of those orange filament decorative bulbs). The bulb is powered by a timer, which cycles it on and off in half hour cycles. The primary purpose is to create a heat chimney effect under the shroud, which has a small opening at the top. Warm air rises through the shroud and create a circulation, together this keeps the mount dry. Understand it is inside an observatory as well, with the roof closed.
On night's when I am using a scope, I just leave the scope mounted and throw an old blanket over the whole setup. Inside the observatory it does not get damp and i take it off the next morning.
Old 29-07-2020, 07:53 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Sounds like a good arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Two things: when not in use, and without a scope mounted, I heat my mount. I made a simple reflective foil insulation shroud which slips over the mount. I use a 25W incadesent bulb under the shroud to generate a little heat (it is one of those orange filament decorative bulbs). The bulb is powered by a timer, which cycles it on and off in half hour cycles. The primary purpose is to create a heat chimney effect under the shroud, which has a small opening at the top. Warm air rises through the shroud and create a circulation, together this keeps the mount dry. Understand it is inside an observatory as well, with the roof closed.
On night's when I am using a scope, I just leave the scope mounted and throw an old blanket over the whole setup. Inside the observatory it does not get damp and i take it off the next morning.
Old 29-07-2020, 08:55 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Sounds like a good arrangement.
I will try to get a photo posted for those interested.
Old 29-07-2020, 08:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am off to a he pet shop to see what's in stock.
Alex
Old 29-07-2020, 09:27 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
I am off to a he pet shop to see what's in stock.
Alex
Get a hamster with a couple of rubber bands.
Old 29-07-2020, 09:32 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I wanted to heat one particular POS mount with a cutting torch...
Old 29-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I run a dehumidifier/heater, on a timer switch to kick in at 4.00am in my observatory every morning. It has made a massive difference to the longevity of everything in the dome. Well worth doing IMHO.
Old 29-07-2020, 05:11 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

The stepper motors in my mount generate enough heat to keep things dry - I hope ...
Old 29-07-2020, 06:14 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I had a quick look on ebay and found 12v electric blankets for use in cars that seem to be big enough and use the ciggie socket connection.
Old 29-07-2020, 06:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

No pet electric blankets in Lismore.
First I will set up the little blower which I can make forward progress..maybe a Peltier device on the mount with the hot side placed somewhere on the mount, some stuff from Bunnings that takes moisture out of the air and tonight I will look at dehumidifier to see if I can run one off grid...but it is becoming clear I need a genny that kicks in when the batteries get low as well as more solar panels and batteries..this all started because I thought $8000 was ok for a 16 inch...my daughter pointed out earlier that if I get that 60 met camera that I will need to get a decent computer..what started as $8000 has already seen the scope go up near two k, the price of the roll off, an eq8, 60 met camera, lag etc etc plus I probably should invest in Pixinsite...looks like I will have to sell at least three of my paintings.
Never did I see this future when I first held a small digital camera to the ep for some Moon shots.
When you work out how many images you get each year and the capital cost I would say each I age will cost about a grand...that's not so bad.
Alex
Old 30-07-2020, 06:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I slipped away today for a short period and purchased another little demister and a bucket of stuff to take moisture out of the air and have worked out a dehumidifier is viable ..at least if I can get away with a 200 watt unit...but things are looking up...
Alex
Old 31-07-2020, 03:13 PM
jamespierce (James)

Let me second Peter's comment about de humidification. I wouldn't want to generate heat near my scope while it was operating, that can only introduce unstable air / poor seeing. However - down here in Victoria I run a heater below 10 degrees and also a dehumidifier every morning if required. Getting the optics and electronics dried out can only be a benefit.
Old 31-07-2020, 08:02 PM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Alex
Alex,
I feel that would just interfere with the imaging. from the heated air rising.
Unless it complains I would just let it suffer in silence.
Paul
Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Paul Haese

Never done it and never will. Heating the mount will put a stream of warm air up and around your optics at some point. Not a preference. Most mounts are robust enough to take a lot of punishment. Both my mounts are doing well even at dew central. Just my opinion though.