Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Do you agree .....

Interesting Read ....would you agree on this, is it worth considering when buying a Refractor....

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/56...apo/?p=7637718

Credit to the original poster.....

Col.....
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Worms mate ,,, can's of worms ....
Brian.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 PM
clive milne

Errrm... why not just buy a 16" Newtonian?

It will cost you roughly the same,
show you waaaaaay more,
and be in a different league on an experiential level.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:12 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Or a well collimated and cooled C9.25 .

Sorry Refactorholic's , but its true , oops

My name is Brian and I am a refractorholic ....

but No my C9.25 really performs

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive milne View Post
Errrm... why not just buy a 16" Newtonian?

It will cost you roughly the same,
show you waaaaaay more,
and be in a different league on an experiential level.
Old 13-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

interesting that the CN contributor used a truly ancient $250 140mm Celestron Schmidt Newtonian as his reference scope...
Old 13-01-2017, 12:27 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Or a well collimated and cooled C9.25 .

Sorry Refactorholic's , but its true , oops

My name is Brian and I am a refractorholic ....

but No my C9.25 really performs

Brian.
SDM Size Does Matter.
The biggest refractor I have ever looked through was a 6",cant remember
What make it was,(probably a Tak?) but it didn't hold a candle to my 16' Newtonian.
Reading his article and the comments, to me it came across as a lot of money for a small increase in sharpness.
Cheers
Old 13-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Call me a cynic, but I'm not sure how much of a revelation that is. I always understood the function of an apo was to bring the three primary colours to focus at more or less the same point (more or less depending on the quality!) Maybe that was my misunderstanding

In a kind-of astro facebook way, his personal journey of revelation is profusely documented on CN. I remember a while back he used to advocate and even defend the use of a large SCT with sound reasoning, and I don't just think it was because he owned one at the time. His talk about contrast transfer with a central obstruction was quite enlightening.

Maybe the pills/wine were particularly good that night when he felt the need to espouse that an apo should be able to focus all the visible light more cleanly than an achro...or have I missed something?
Old 13-01-2017, 10:36 AM
clive milne

The one area that refractors have no pier is the low level of light scatter in the optics... The image (what there is of it) looks cleaner and arguably more aesthetically pleasing.

By putting an image intensifier in the loop, he is throwing that one saving grace in the bin...

It's like putting a tablespoon of salt on an oyster to enhance the flavour.
I just don't get it?
Old 13-01-2017, 10:56 AM
gregbradley

APO's are hard to beat but cost makes them impractical above about 7 inch aperture. I had a TEC180 for quite a while and it was as large as I would want in an APO.
Also the term APO is a pretty loose term these days. You have AstroPhysics APOs, Takahashi APO's and TEC APO's. AP and Tak being the highest grade.

Chromatic aberration is still the weak area of an "APO" although a good Tak and AP scope does not really have any to comment on. TEC has a small amount weak in the red as I recall.

If you want to get longer focal length then you need something else with larger aperture to offset the longer focal length.

APOs don't make great galaxy imaging machines really. There are some good images from APOs of the larger brighter galaxies but pretty much any large aperture long focal length scope will surpass it.

APOs then are then, somewhat limited to widefield and medium widefield where they do best.

Greg.
Old 13-01-2017, 11:51 AM
JA

I can appreciate the numerous advantages of both reflectors AND refractors and that these differ with focal length and that, as has already been stated it is a matter of Horses for Courses, .......

BUT, Please. Please don't castigate me for this..... As beautiful as I genuinely find many of the images from reflector telescopes, due to their large aperture and the low noise capabilities they open up, I find the diffraction spikes, from those with spiders/etc, highly distracting. Once my eyes picks one up, I just look for more. To me it makes the image much less natural, dare I say, fake. I would take a little Chromatic Abberation over diffraction spikes (in fact a sharp spike can sometimes contains contains some by way of a spectrum, depending on the sharpness of focus/target).

As an aside-
To the expert image processors out there in the community - Is there a Diffraction Spike Reduction/Elimination tool out there ? ( Similar to the Red-Eye Tool in portrait photography). If not, Software Engineers - there is your next $1,000,000 money-making project - In the software, hover an adjustable diameter target circle or target 4 spike tool over the 4*-spiked diffraction spiked star and select "DESPIKE", which could have a programmable strength/size parameter.
(*- or more, or less depending on spider)

Having said all that I look forward to purchasing/building a reflector scope one day. I think it would use a 90 degree 2 leg spider to minimize spikes. A 1 legged spider looks even more unnatural - at least on the various simulations I've seen.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 13-01-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 13-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

The context for the article on CN was about finding a wide field telescope so I assume that's why the focus is on the shorter focal length refractors. I liked the 'jounrey' through the testing process but I am still relatively new to it all so it doesn't sound too blantantly obvious, as it might to others :-)
Old 13-01-2017, 11:14 PM
csb (Craig)

Have you noticed that the Hubble Space Telescope produces images with diffraction spikes.
Old 13-01-2017, 11:42 PM
JA

Yes ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pillars-of-creation-2015-featured.jpg)
71.6 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (Hubble NGC6397.jpg)
44.6 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (Hubble-Telescope-Star-04.jpg)
62.6 KB37 views

Last edited by JA; 13-01-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 14-01-2017, 09:39 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

I think his post came out of another discussion in the CN-EAA forum that I visit. It was all about wide field EAA and whether an 80mm apo or a small reflector was better. But the comparison was to a pretty poor reflector.
Old 14-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Just about the only reason to buy a refractor is because you want and like refractors. My 12"dob easily outperforms my Televue 101 and is less than 20% of the price. But I wouldn't be without the Televue.
Geoff
Old 14-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
SDM Size Does Matter.
The biggest refractor I have ever looked through was a 6",cant remember
What make it was,(probably a Tak?) but it didn't hold a candle to my 16' Newtonian.
Reading his article and the comments, to me it came across as a lot of money for a small increase in sharpness.
Cheers
Well, in another life I was a professional astronomer in South Africa and the observatory had a 26.5" refractor. Great instrument. One night with superb seeing I was looking at Mars with 1000 power. Absolutely amazing clarity and detail. It's something that I'll never forget.
Geoff
Old 14-01-2017, 10:05 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Well, in another life I was a professional astronomer in South Africa and the observatory had a 26.5" refractor. Great instrument. One night with superb seeing I was looking at Mars with 1000 power. Absolutely amazing clarity and detail. It's something that I'll never forget.
Geoff
A rare and costly instrument, again one would expect that sort of crispness for a scope without obstructions.
It would have been a great experience.
Remember it was a scope just a bit bigger than that,that Lowell saw his canals.
Cheers