Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-01-2017, 03:04 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Mount and Scope Scare

Was out last night using the Mewlon 300 and EM400.....with SkyFi and SkySafari Pro 5 on the iPad.

Was going well all night slewing to various targets with the occasional flip and seems to have an inbuilt algorithm to avoid cable wrap which works well.

I was observing Tarantula Nebula which was quite high so the scope and mount were well down on the west side .

Selected Jewel Box and the slew started and didn't realize for a few seconds but it tried to slew down and under thereby almost driving the Mewlon 300 into the base of the tripod legs !! !!

Thankfully was in the observatory and hit the kill switch on the mount otherwise would have had some severe damage.

Anyone ever had this happen before??? The only new thing is SkySafari Pro5 which was a upgrade to prior version.

Now making me consider accelerating my change to TSX

Last edited by issdaol; 17-01-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 17-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

TSX doesn't sound like such a big investment now!
Old 17-01-2017, 04:56 PM
glend (Glen)

Sky Safari does not recognise mount or scope limitations in terms of clearance, and it certainly cannot manage flips. I use Sky Safari Pro alot but never use it across meridian, better to use the mount controller for that. Some mounts have hard stop limits which can prevent equipment strikes but its better to step in as you did.
Old 18-01-2017, 05:49 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Sky Safari does not recognise mount or scope limitations in terms of clearance, and it certainly cannot manage flips. I use Sky Safari Pro alot but never use it across meridian, better to use the mount controller for that. Some mounts have hard stop limits which can prevent equipment strikes but its better to step in as you did.
For some reason I was under the impression that Sky Safari did recognise that as I have never had the issue before.

But I am sure TSX does recognise those limits so won't have the issue there
Old 18-01-2017, 06:39 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

With all of the pointing models I've done with TSX,I can confirm that it does recognise whether you're pointing west or east.
Old 18-01-2017, 08:00 PM
beren

I was virtually exploring the same region same night with Sky Safari {4 yet to upgrade} with my EM-400. Never had something like that happen, but I usually unlock both axis and resync if it's a large slew in between targets. With SkyX in the Temma settings you set which side your OTA is on, pretty sure Sky safari doesn't have that option.I think there is an option as well where you can set limitations on your slew range {?}. I really like SkyX {and Sky 6 to} but if you're only doing visual not sure if it's a better option then Sky Safari
Old 18-01-2017, 11:20 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
I was virtually exploring the same region same night with Sky Safari {4 yet to upgrade} with my EM-400. Never had something like that happen, but I usually unlock both axis and resync if it's a large slew in between targets. With SkyX in the Temma settings you set which side your OTA is on, pretty sure Sky safari doesn't have that option.I think there is an option as well where you can set limitations on your slew range {?}. I really like SkyX {and Sky 6 to} but if you're only doing visual not sure if it's a better option then Sky Safari
Yes never had the problem with SS4 ....but had a few weird things with SS5.

Never had a problem with the mount either until this incident so the only change is SS5 !!

Never had to unlock and resync on my EM400 regardless of slews.....so thats interesting ....what year/version is yours ??

So mind made up TSX it is !!

Oh and congrats and welcome to the Tak club an EM400 is instant entry to Tak Attack at the end of February ....Hope you are planning on joining us !!!

So you decided against the other mounts you were looking at a while ago ??
Old 19-01-2017, 08:53 AM
gregbradley

These planetarium programs are all made in the USA and tend to be a little northern hemisphere centric.

I have had TSX a few times slew things weird because even though set to the southern hemisphere it can sometimes shift to thinking its in the northern hemisphere. Sometimes build updates have made this happen. I found usually just resetting southern hemisphere fixed it. Often it is corrected in later builds.

I know you are referring to a different software but its likely its the same issue. The software reverted for some reason to a northern hemisphere location for the mount. That then slews the scope towards the ground.

Greg.
Old 30-01-2017, 10:17 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Camera Recommendations for TSX

Ok after a second attempt from SkySafari Pro 5 to drive my scope into the ground/Tripod Legs I finally purchased TSX.

Downloaded and installed Installer and Daily Update Build......I can see that the main download was just over 2GB and the Daily Update was just under 200MB.

Installation was flawless ....seems to be very modularised with the Daily Builds updating various components

Lot's & Lots & Lots of cool options ( technical description there )

I particularly like the device list update which seems to go off to the SB site to download the latest definitions of Scopes, Cameras, EP's etc etc so you can define your entire system without having to enter all the parameters

Customisable views are great and a big one is the ability to setup default or custom Scope & Mount limits

Unfortunately missed my window to run a manual TPOINT model but looking at the option to use the Automated TPOINT model instead.

I am never seriously going to do any Astrophotography work so looking for recommendations on a Natively Supported TSX Camera that will work for this.

Currently thinking perhaps a Canon SLR from the supported list then at least Canon can be used for normal Photography????

Any thoughts from others on that??? and perhaps thoughts on a particular Canon model???

Also thinking of a inexpensive CCD to do this task alone or maybe dabble a little bit in AP for "Happy Snaps" but don't really want to waste too much on a dedicated CCD.

Hoping for native TSX supported recommendations as I don't want to have to mess around with ASCOM etc ......

So any advice and pointers are appreciated

PS: My build is on Mac Book Pro OSX
Old 30-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Any supported DSLR will do the job fine Usually a camera or two in the classifieds that would do the job.
Old 30-01-2017, 11:39 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Phil, you can borrow my CCD's if you need.
Old 31-01-2017, 12:07 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Had a few options come up for Camera's and CCD's (thanks to Lewis too )

Also looking at second hand 5DMK3 and 6D options.....

Have option for both at very good prices with low shutter counts (5DMK3 is 100k shutter though).

Supposedly the 6D has a better low light sensor that the 5DMK3 plus 6D has WIFI built in so no cable needed.

I dont really need all the magic AF Matrix of the 5D so what are peoples thoughts on either for my Mewlon 300? and this need??
Old 31-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'd personally consider the 6D to being a better sensor than any of the 5D range, not as noisy and better dynamic range.
Old 27-02-2017, 11:08 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Now have a Canon 6D body to use with TPOINT.

All I need to do is learn how to drive TSX+TPOINT+6D together ! LoL
Old 27-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Once you get TSX talking to the Canon it's pretty simple