Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Focuser question

OK, I have a SkyWatcher Equinox 102 ED refractor. The focuser on it is pretty crappy imho, it struggled with my admittedly heavy Canon EOS 1D Mark IIn at prime focus, and even with the Andrews 30mm 80 degree 2" eyepiece when the scope was pointed to objects higher in the sky.

Long term intention is to (if possible) replace the standard focuser with a replacement quality unit such as moonlight or feathertouch. Now, I'm not sure if it's even possible or not, but I presume that it is. here's the focuser section on the scope:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/657/32...dc29cf_z_d.jpg

I presume the silver ring is the section that attaches the focuser to the main tube, and that this can be completely unscrewed, detaching the focuser from the rest of the unit, is this correct?

If the above is the case, is it as simple as just unscrewing the focuser, or does something else also need to be done, that's not as obvious to the newb such as myself? I ask this because I'd obviously want to avoid breaking the scope/focuser in my ignorance.

I roughly measured the diameter of the focuser at the silver ring section and it was very close to 3.5". Does this mean that this focuser is a 3.5" focuser (rather than 2" focuser etc)? If that is the case, does this mean that any focuser replacement that I'd order would have to be a 3.5" unit? I presume that this is a yes and yes.

The focuser is simply not robust and I don't think it's suitable at all to astro imaging. And yes, I've been careful to play with the tightening grub screws (I posted a thread asking about this back in circa 2010) but it made zero difference. There's flex in the focuser with the camera attached and it causes issues as you can imagine. I've generally read that synta/GSO focusers are not particularly good, and it seems that most people replace them with a feathertouch/moonlight.

Now, I can't really afford a feathertouch, but I can save for a moonlight as it's considerably cheaper and 90% as good as the feathertouch, and light years better than the stock focuser by all accounts. I had a look at the moonlight site, but couldn't see any reference to the "equinox" units, so I'm not even sure if they carry a replacement focuser unit. Does anyone know the correct suitable moonlight unit for this scope and could you post a link to it please?

I'm hoping to get back into astro imaging over the coming 12 months, saving bit by bit to afford the pier/focuser/qhy polemaster etc.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

OK. Took a gamble after not getting any replies here and none helpful replies on CN and just kept unscrewing the Silver focus rotation ring and could see the focuser section coming away from the main refractor tube. So it seems a simple connection.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/426/31...ca41f5_z_d.jpg

The bad news - I wasn't able to tell the OD/ID as I don't have a pair of calipers, and I don't have any pitch gauge guides to tell the pitch/thread type. And I'm strongly suspecting that it's a proprietary non standard type too, so I'm starting to think that getting a replacement focuser isn't probably gonna be doable. Just my luck.

Dave
Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Zuts

Hi

Why don't you email moonlight and feather touch with the make model year of manufacture of your scope. Include a photo and they should be able to tell you if they have something to suit.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Chris85 (Chris)

What you're best doing is shooting an email to Ron at Moonlite. He never sleeps so you should get a reply pretty quickly. Also I've just had a look at his website and you can choose the equinox in the flange pull-down menu under 2" focusers, only it doesn't give the ota size. The equinox range was made by Long Perng who I'm to believe do OEM for a few of the larger brands out there such as William Optics, TS etc, so I'm sure they've made an adapter for your Skywatcher.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:14 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Hi

Why don't you email moonlight and feather touch with the make model year of manufacture of your scope. Include a photo and they should be able to tell you if they have something to suit.
yeah I guess I'm going to have to. As I said on my CN post, I was loathe to bother Ron as I can't afford said Moonlight yet - I'll have to spend a good part of the next year saving up my pennies, unless the employment Gods are nice to me and grant me a job...

Thanks for the reply.

Dave
Old 07-01-2017, 09:24 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
What you're best doing is shooting an email to Ron at Moonlite. He never sleeps so you should get a reply pretty quickly. Also I've just had a look at his website and you can choose the equinox in the flange pull-down menu under 2" focusers, only it doesn't give the ota size. The equinox range was made by Long Perng who I'm to believe do OEM for a few of the larger brands out there such as William Optics, TS etc, so I'm sure they've made an adapter for your Skywatcher.
I'm not so sure...had a look at their site and under the 2" refractor focuser section it says:

Quote:
The EON / Equinox / Sky Watcher flange fits Orion's EON 80 & 120 APOs, Sky Watcher Equinox 60, 80, 120 APOs, and the Astro Tech 80ED. It is a female 3.274" X 1mm threaded flange. The correct drawtube is the 4.5" travel.
I have to laugh, there were 4 models in the Equinox range and I picked the One that doesn't appear to be supported...I know Ron says he can machine any flange to support pretty much any scope, but that non off the shelf stuff usually costs significantly extra...adding further to my financial woes.

and there are so many options, I don't even know what half the options mean or do lol!

But, I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and Email Ron. I better work out all my questions in the One Email so as to not pester him too much...

Thanks again for the reply.

Dave
Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
I'm not so sure...had a look at their site and under the 2" refractor focuser section it says:

I have to laugh, there were 4 models in the Equinox range and I picked the One that doesn't appear to be supported...I know Ron says he can machine any flange to support pretty much any scope, but that non off the shelf stuff usually costs significantly extra...adding further to my financial woes.

and there are so many options, I don't even know what half the options mean or do lol!

But, I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and Email Ron. I better work out all my questions in the One Email so as to not pester him too much...

Thanks again for the reply.

Dave
Seriously, Ron is incredible. Have a look thru threads on this site alone about Moonlite focusers and ron's customer service. He's legendary for it.

You send him an email and you'll be surprised at how quickly he responds.

I've never used Feathertouch but their reputation is unparalleled. I have used Moonlite and I wouldn't ever hesitate to recommend them. See this thread

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...light=Moonlite
Old 07-01-2017, 10:20 PM
casstony

Dave, is the equinox focuser drawtube slipping past the drive shaft or is the focuser rolling out? The latter issue can be fixed by increasing tension on the microfocuser bearing, provided they haven't used red Loctite on the adjustment nut.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Dave, is the equinox focuser drawtube slipping past the drive shaft or is the focuser rolling out? The latter issue can be fixed by increasing tension on the microfocuser bearing, provided they haven't used red Loctite on the adjustment nut.
I haven't used the setup since 2010/2011, so I'm going from memory here. Back then, I was trying to use my DSLR, a Canon EOS 1D Mark IIn @ prime focus for DSOs and lunar imaging. This is a heavy camera, at about 1.4 KG and whenever it was attached to the scope, there'd be slippage if the scope was pointed anywhere medium high in the sky. I even had issues with the large Andrews 30mm 80 degree eyepiece at higher elevations too.

I posted a thread about these issues back in the day and was given advice to tighten the focuser (carefully) and did so, but it made no real difference. I did ring the retailer about this (Andrews - I regret not buying from Bintel *sigh*) and didn't get much help from them.

The scope itself I felt was optically good - I didn't notice any fringing, although a more discerning and experienced user might have. I had reasonably good views of Saturn at 400x in less than optimal seeing (well, I thought the seeing at the time wasn't that great).

Anyway, I can't find the user guide for it, and there's no manual online that I can find, it's like SkyWatcher dropped all support for the Equinox units like a hot cake! Tasco (NSW) the distributor is pathetic - closes at 12.30 PM on Friday! I'm in Brissie, so that's 11.30 AM our time - a completely unacceptable closing time for a Monday to Friday business. Sorry, not sorry at that criticism of them. Will ring them on Monday, but not expecting any support to be honest. I'll ask them about the focuser at the same time, but again, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Dave
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Seriously, Ron is incredible. Have a look thru threads on this site alone about Moonlite focusers and ron's customer service. He's legendary for it.

You send him an email and you'll be surprised at how quickly he responds.

I've never used Feathertouch but their reputation is unparalleled. I have used Moonlite and I wouldn't ever hesitate to recommend them. See this thread

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...light=Moonlite
Hi Les,

LTNS. I've heard nothing but great things about both focusers - feathertouch seems to be considered to be the absolute best focuser on the market, but the moonlight is also exceptionally good, and cheaper and Ron's customer service is by all accounts exemplary.

I've had a good look at the Moonlight website and noted a bunch of questions etc and will Email Ron and see what his reply is. As I said earlier, I just hate having to bug Ron, cos this isn't going to be an instant purchase. Some manufacturers/retailers get very funny if they answer your questions and there's no an immediate purchase. I'd rather not potentially (and unintentionally) piss Ron off!

I don't intend to go the whole hog with this setup, I just want a basic focuser that's better than the standard focuser that comes with the scope. If I can score a job, I'm eyeing up an explore scientific 130mm APO and a GSO 10" truss RC. But, I need a far better mount than the EQ6 PRO for the latter, so it's gonna have to wait several years ;-)

My game plan was to fix the focuser issue, get a pier and permanent mount setup in the backyard, then worry about a mono CCD camera (8300 chip, not sure what brand, but have read good things about the QHY cameras, so it's probably close to the front of the line for my best pick to be honest). In the interim, I'd be imaging with my Canon EOS 60D (unmodified), mostly DSOs (nebula) and getting the hang of imaging, tracking/guiding, and of course, processing said images. I'm aiming for 15 second subs without star trailing, I'll be happy if I can achieve that. I'm also eyeing up a QHY polemaster to help with polar alignment, although the location in the backyward that I've chosen doesn't let me see the South pole, so I'll have to drift align (I'll need help from you fine chaps when it comes to that, preferably from someone in Brissie who has a good heart and can come visit me to help teach me!). I really lack confidence with the polar alignment and drift alignment and I'd probably not be confident until 10+ tries and I felt that I have it down to pat. I'm a slow learner in my old age lol.

Sorry for such a long reply. Much is on my mind.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 AM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
Hi Les,

LTNS. I've heard nothing but great things about both focusers - feathertouch seems to be considered to be the absolute best focuser on the market, but the moonlight is also exceptionally good, and cheaper and Ron's customer service is by all accounts exemplary.

I've had a good look at the Moonlight website and noted a bunch of questions etc and will Email Ron and see what his reply is. As I said earlier, I just hate having to bug Ron, cos this isn't going to be an instant purchase. Some manufacturers/retailers get very funny if they answer your questions and there's no an immediate purchase. I'd rather not potentially (and unintentionally) piss Ron off!

I don't intend to go the whole hog with this setup, I just want a basic focuser that's better than the standard focuser that comes with the scope. If I can score a job, I'm eyeing up an explore scientific 130mm APO and a GSO 10" truss RC. But, I need a far better mount than the EQ6 PRO for the latter, so it's gonna have to wait several years ;-)

My game plan was to fix the focuser issue, get a pier and permanent mount setup in the backyard, then worry about a mono CCD camera (8300 chip, not sure what brand, but have read good things about the QHY cameras, so it's probably close to the front of the line for my best pick to be honest). In the interim, I'd be imaging with my Canon EOS 60D (unmodified), mostly DSOs (nebula) and getting the hang of imaging, tracking/guiding, and of course, processing said images. I'm aiming for 15 second subs without star trailing, I'll be happy if I can achieve that. I'm also eyeing up a QHY polemaster to help with polar alignment, although the location in the backyward that I've chosen doesn't let me see the South pole, so I'll have to drift align (I'll need help from you fine chaps when it comes to that, preferably from someone in Brissie who has a good heart and can come visit me to help teach me!). I really lack confidence with the polar alignment and drift alignment and I'd probably not be confident until 10+ tries and I felt that I have it down to pat. I'm a slow learner in my old age lol.

Sorry for such a long reply. Much is on my mind.

Cheers,

Dave
You won't upset Ron.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

OK, Ron responded - very quickly as was mentioned by several users in thread. Yes, he can do a focuser for the Equinox 102 refractor that I have.

Basically, pick 2" refractor focuser, then equinox flange and other customisations and you're good to go. Yes, it'll work for the 102mm even though it's not listed in the list of supported Equinox units in the drop down selection menu.

Ron also indicated that the 2.5" refractor focuser version was a better option if you were using a larger format camera. I've sent him a followup Email to clarify that.

Top notch customer service - very impressed.

Now to save my pennies!

Dave
Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I have 2 Moonlight focusers (one on each of my dobs) and 2 Feathertouch units (one on my solar scope and the other on my main imaging scope)
I have dealt with both companies directly and via third parties and could not fault the customer service from either company.
Once you have a quality focuser setup, you will not look back!!

Malcolm
Old 08-01-2017, 04:47 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
I have 2 Moonlight focusers (one on each of my dobs) and 2 Feathertouch units (one on my solar scope and the other on my main imaging scope)
I have dealt with both companies directly and via third parties and could not fault the customer service from either company.
Once you have a quality focuser setup, you will not look back!!

Malcolm
yeah, that's the plan Malcolm. That's the plan.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:32 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I have a Moonlite on a WO 110 FLT and a Feathertouch on a C9.25 with a Meade precision motor focuser. The Feathertouch is great for fast and fine focusing - and reduces mirror slop. The Moonlite is simply a stunning piece of gear. Absolutely no regret spend on the Moonlite. The Feathertouch is brilliant, the Moonlight sublime!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:24 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
I have a Moonlite on a WO 110 FLT and a Feathertouch on a C9.25 with a Meade precision motor focuser. The Feathertouch is great for fast and fine focusing - and reduces mirror slop. The Moonlite is simply a stunning piece of gear. Absolutely no regret spend on the Moonlite. The Feathertouch is brilliant, the Moonlight sublime!
yes. But now I have to save my pennies. All this drooling is not good for me in the interim lol!!!
Old 09-01-2017, 05:58 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Just an addendum to my post - I got this setup back in 2010 from memory. I can't locate the User Guide that came with it (hell, I can't be sure if it did have One!). Rang SkyWatcher's distributor and asked for a copy of the PDF user guide and was told nope, they don't have it - either on their site, or the SkyWatcher Global site. As far as they're concerned, it's 6, going 7 years old and no longer carried and they're not going to go to the trouble of providing such a thing for such a cheap scope.

That is absolutely bloody well outrageous and terrible customer service. I was told to check out the user guide for the 100mm esprit scope, but warned even then, their user guides mention nothing about focus tension adjustment. This is a basic thing that should be mentioned. I'm pretty sure if I were to buy a Takahashi or Astro-physics refractor, they'd A) have a user guide available 20 years down the track B) said instructions would include instructions on focuser tension adjustment.

To be fair to Tasco, One of their staff has asked me to send an image of the focuser and he'll do his best to write up a basic howto for me over the next week or so. So kudos to that staff member for going above and beyond, but not impressive as a whole for the distributor/company.

Dave
Old 09-01-2017, 06:09 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Hello Dave
Re Focuser tension adjustment
Not sure if the Equinox is the same setup as the ED Black Diamond, but this may help
http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum...hp?f=43&t=4932

Jeremy
Old 09-01-2017, 07:14 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoody View Post
Hello Dave
Re Focuser tension adjustment
Not sure if the Equinox is the same setup as the ED Black Diamond, but this may help
http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum...hp?f=43&t=4932

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy! I've gotta do a bunch of stuff (just spent near 2 hours on the phone to Centrelink) tonight, but hope to check out that link and compare it to the grub screws on the bottom of the focuser on my Equinox unit.

The guy at Tasco suggested sending the focuser section back to them, but that's prolly gonna cost a fortune for them to look at it and I can't afford it. The irony is that he uses a Moonlight focuser on his Newtonian lol! So, good good feedback about Moonlight units from him also lol!!!

Thanks everyone who responded. Much appreciated.

I plan on adding information to this thread once I know it, so that if anyone else down the track wants to know this information and googles it, they'll get some real answers.

Cheers,

Dave

edit: I can't see any replies to the OP in that thread and I cannot see for the life of me how to register for those forums...

Last edited by dpastern; 09-01-2017 at 07:31 PM.