Almost Forgot!

Happy 35th Birthday "H"

hope your having a great day

geoff
Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Haha, thanks Geoff!

It's been a lovely evening. The missus made me lamb shanks and lots of other yummy food for dinner.

In bad news, my power supply has stopped working for the mount, dew heater and focuser. I was hoping to get some more data tonight.

In good news, my Parallax rings for my guide scope and Baader narrowband filters should be here this week.

Can anyone recommend a good power supply?

H
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 PM
gbeal

H,
Happy Birthday as well.
Power supply failed? Better news than the last lot I read from you with your camera issues.
Gary
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Happy birthday H. Have a good one.

Re power supply, I use a standard 12v power tank (Bunnings job years ago) with a seperate 20 amp swichmode charger that I bought from ebay (about $45) The charger switches to float mode once the battery voltage is high enough (approximately 14V) and I've encountered no problems with interference from the switch mode charger. I used that combination over 7 nights at Astrofest last year with absolutely no problems.

Last edited by acropolite; 02-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Happy birthday!

As a consolation prize, the wind is pretty strong and the seeing rubbish tonight so I don't think you're missing out on much :-)
Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 PM
gary

Happy Birthday H!

All the best for the year ahead.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Have a good one, H
Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM
PCH (Paul)

Happy birthday buddy - have a great year
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Happy Birthday H,
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Happy (belated) Birthday H.
I presume you are talking about a back yard power supply. I've go no complaints with my MP3098 but since it's not waterproof you do need some cover for it, just in case.
You might want a 15-18V supply to power the Losmandy mount. SnapTec make 12V->15V inverters and have said they would custom make 12V->18V to order. Part numbers are GB60-1215 and GB60-1218
Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

All the best H

Glad to hear it was a great day.

You can't beat Lamb shanks for a great meal especially with roasted chestnuts.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2014, 12:08 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Happy Birthday! Best Wishes for Many More!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:18 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Haha, thanks Geoff!

It's been a lovely evening. The missus made me lamb shanks and lots of other yummy food for dinner.

In bad news, my power supply has stopped working for the mount, dew heater and focuser. I was hoping to get some more data tonight.

In good news, my Parallax rings for my guide scope and Baader narrowband filters should be here this week.

Can anyone recommend a good power supply?

H
Are you sure "she" didn't sabotage it, so that you have to spend "quality time" together on your birthday.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Cheers, Gary.

Ah, yes, the camera is still yet to be sent off. I have been dying to finish my project. I'm just a couple of hours shy of finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
H,
Happy Birthday as well.
Power supply failed? Better news than the last lot I read from you with your camera issues.
Gary
Phil,

Thanks, mate!

I will invest in a power tank, eventually. I've been meaning to do it for years!

I do have a charger, I believe it's a switchmode one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Happy birthday H. Have a good one.

Re power supply, I use a standard 12v power tank (Bunnings job years ago) with a seperate 20 amp swichmode charger that I bought from ebay (about $45) The charger switches to float mode once the battery voltage is high enough (approximately 14V) and I've encountered no problems with interference from the switch mode charger. I used that combination over 7 nights at Astrofest last year with absolutely no problems.
Lee,

Thank you! And, yes, it was blowing a gale the other night. I have no idea where that wind came from. The good thing about the FSQ/STL combination is that even if it's crap seeing, you still get good images. At 3.51"/pixel, it's a nobrainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Happy birthday!

As a consolation prize, the wind is pretty strong and the seeing rubbish tonight so I don't think you're missing out on much :-)
Andrew,

Thank you!

And, that is exactly what I bought from Jaycar yesterday. It is big and heavy. The Dick Smith Q1755 that I had (lasted many years!) was light enough to Velcro on to the pier. This one is sitting on the base and I've just thrown an empty plastic tub over the top of it and it's sitting on an old footstool/Ottoman. I will go to Bunnings and get some pavers/bricks to hoist it up off the slab and build a proper case for it with outlets/inlets for cables. I like the sound it makes when you turn it on -- like something mechanical switching inside the box.

So, do you mean to say that the 13.8V served by the MP3098 is not enough for the G-11? It seemed to work alright last night. Before I go to bed, I switch the slew speed to 200, instead of the default 800. I don't want the neighbours/passersby hearing the screeching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Happy (belated) Birthday H.
I presume you are talking about a back yard power supply. I've go no complaints with my MP3098 but since it's not waterproof you do need some cover for it, just in case.
You might want a 15-18V supply to power the Losmandy mount. SnapTec make 12V->15V inverters and have said they would custom make 12V->18V to order. Part numbers are GB60-1215 and GB60-1218
Cheers, Ric. They tasted even better last night after having another day to marinate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
All the best H

Glad to hear it was a great day.

You can't beat Lamb shanks for a great meal especially with roasted chestnuts.

Cheers
Trevor,

The poor dear -- she has been so understanding and accommodating. I will have to do something nice for her. Maybe a ring or jewelry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Are you sure "she" didn't sabotage it, so that you have to spend "quality time" together on your birthday.
And, thank you to everyone else for your birthday wishes. It's so nice to come here and see best wishes from old friends and acquaintances.

H