Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old Today, 07:25 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
My wifeís happy for me , she helped me build it
As long as the grandkids can use it as a cubby house as well ( donít know about that )
She has some interest in the hobby , 2 weeks ago she went on a trip to Mudgee for 4 days with girlfriends and one of the friends sister runs the Observatory there with her husband. They stayed on the property near the Observatory but only had one night for an hour to observe, bit disappointed. John who runs it has been involved in Astronomy for nearly 50 years , a wealth of knowledge ( old school )
Martin
Old Today, 09:17 AM
AdamJL

Just noticed some water on the carpet there. I don't know much about these domes, but do they come with any sealing protection at the bottom?

I'm still really impressed with your cable management. That's the best part for me. I'm not a fan of clutter.
Old Today, 10:32 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Just noticed some water on the carpet there. I don't know much about these domes, but do they come with any sealing protection at the bottom?

I'm still really impressed with your cable management. That's the best part for me. I'm not a fan of clutter.
Adam
No sheís water tight, thatís wet patch is when I opened the shutter up in the morning and water dripped down for a while after heavy rain that night
As the Dome just sits on the deck ( screwed down with 7 angle brackets ) I decided to silicon around the bottom inside and outside to avoid any residual water creeping in
My deck boards have 8 to 10mm gaps so they act as a bit of a drain to stop water lying around
If any water does happen to seep in under the floor after a deluge , I can just remove the carpet tile and dry it out
So far so good
Yes Iím a tidy guy , hate mess lying around , the whole dome and floor is clean no messy leads and cabling taped around everywhere or strung everywhere
Thanks
Martin