Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 20-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

For those who have upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro please advise on the following -
1/ Are there any prerequisites that need to be addressed in Win 10 Home before upgrading eg: Updates
2/ I’m assuming that you will not lose any data files ( information) in any of your Astro software as a result of the upgrade ?
3/ I’m assuming that you would have to check all your Astro software and Devices to ensure Windows hasn’t reset any system functionality eg: Power Management in devices like Hubs or Drivers etc...

Appreciate any first hand advice on upgrading

Thanks in Advance
Old 20-03-2021, 01:53 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi Martin,
If it was me, I would install a fresh version of Win10 Pro and then re install all the software. That way you know for sure that things will be setup correctly. A bit of work but highly recommended. Win 10 is the worst OS they have ever created so I wouldn't try layering one version over the other. If not, back everything up, give it a go and see what happens. You might be just fine.

It is a hard question to answer because every ones computer will be setup different with other software etc and you won't be comparing apples unless someone has the exact same setup as you.

All the best.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 20-03-2021, 02:40 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Damien,
Sounds like good advice
Yes a lot of work but probably a better more reliable outcome
Astro software is sometimes fickle so a fresh install is probably the safer option
I’ve been running Home for more than 2 years now with updates disabled as I don’t connect my laptop to the internet ( dedicated standalone Astro laptop )
If I install Pro ( as new ) should I keep updates on or leave it disabled like Home
I’m of the opinion that Windows updates can contribute to spurious problems with telescope control
Martin
Old 20-03-2021, 06:03 PM
astro744

How are you getting the upgrade? I don’t have a Windows 10 Home platform to check but when I upgraded Windows 7 Home to Windows 7 Pro for a couple of new work machines (bought with Home preinstalled) that needed Pro to get onto the work domain it was a case of buying the Pro upgrade in the form of a new licence code only, no software, sold as a physical pack in-store.

This simply unlocked the Pro features that were already installed by going into Control Panel and clicking on upgrade version of Windows in System. The other way of getting the upgrade was online through the Microsoft store which is probably how you would do it for 10.

When I later upgraded the 7 machines to 10 the installation gave me 10 Pro since I had 7 Pro. I chose the clean install option as I would normally always recommend this but I soon found some software and hardware (older printer/scanner) did not work under 10 and there was no new drivers or compatible software that would fix this. I ended up reinstalling 7 Pro and kept it as is until Microsoft announced 7 would be retired so I tried 10 again but this time did the upgrade as an upgrade and not clean install. Not only did I get Windows 10 as before I got all my software and hardware to work flawlessly so in my case an upgrade was the way to go rather than a clean install.

I believe the upgrade option will simply unlock Pro features. What have you got to lose, if you don’t like what it has done then do a clean install and use the Pro licence code.

For more info see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-d1a218cc2818
Old 20-03-2021, 06:28 PM
gregbradley

I upgraded Wins 10 home to Pro because it has that remote desktop feature so I can run my rig from inside the house.

It worked fine and no problems with existing software.

Greg.
Old 20-03-2021, 11:43 PM
redbeard (Damien)

{{{{If I install Pro ( as new ) should I keep updates on or leave it disabled like Home
I’m of the opinion that Windows updates can contribute to spurious problems with telescope control}}}}

Hi Martin,

If you can get away with disabling the updates and the PC is not connected to the internet, that would be what I would do. In fact, my recording PC is not even on the network at home.

Sometimes this can backfire however when a device driver that is newly installed doesn't see the updated windows files and it reports on being an unsigned driver. Updates can fix that. I have an issue exactly like that with a Win 7 PC I use for recording audio, I have to start the PC in 'Ignore Driver Signing" at startup in order to use the software. I have not updated that PC for a long time.

When I build a Windows PC, I install all the software I need, do all the updates, custom it a bit and then take a snapshot image and unplug from the network. Six months down the track, do an image backup, do a windows update, test stuff, if all good then make another updated image.

But all in all, there will be so many different opinions about security, stability, blah blah, it's totally up to you in the end.

On the PC's I have that are not running dedicated software that have web access, I generally do the updates just to be protected.
If you have more than 1 PC, then if an update stuffs something up, you can always temporarily use the other.

I reckon all the good Microscoff programmers have all got old and died and all the just newly trained programmers have written Win10.

All the best,
Cheers,
Damien.
Old 21-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I upgraded Wins 10 home to Pro because it has that remote desktop feature so I can run my rig from inside the house.

It worked fine and no problems with existing software.

Greg.
Greg,
Thanks for the advice
We’re you running Windows updates on your Home version ? Was it connected to the internet ?
Do you now run Windows updates on your new Pro version ? Is it still connected to the internet ?
Thanks
Martin
Old 21-03-2021, 09:42 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Greg,
Thanks for the advice
We’re you running Windows updates on your Home version ? Was it connected to the internet ?
Do you now run Windows updates on your new Pro version ? Is it still connected to the internet ?
Thanks
Martin

The original Wins 10 Home was running updates. The computer was connected to the internet after upgrading.

Disabling updates makes sense on a dedicated astro computer as it can default to updating the computer at 2am. I once was baffled by why my laptop was not saving images after 2am when it still had several to record.
It was updates restarting the computer at 2am. Once I disabled that it didn't happen again. That was another computer and a few years ago.

Greg.
Old 21-03-2021, 10:31 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
The original Wins 10 Home was running updates. The computer was connected to the internet after upgrading.

Disabling updates makes sense on a dedicated astro computer as it can default to updating the computer at 2am. I once was baffled by why my laptop was not saving images after 2am when it still had several to record.
It was updates restarting the computer at 2am. Once I disabled that it didn't happen again. That was another computer and a few years ago.

Greg.
You can configure the time window where it is allowed to update. I've got it set up that way and never had an issue. Also why not use Teamviewer?
Old 21-03-2021, 05:46 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
You can configure the time window where it is allowed to update. I've got it set up that way and never had an issue. Also why not use Teamviewer?
I do recall trying it out once. It didn't seem as good or as easy as remote desktop which works really well and is easy to set up.

Greg.
Old 21-03-2021, 06:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks All for your advice and information
I’m going to upgrade tomorrow from Home to Pro
Microsoft recommend to ensure your existing Home version has been updated with the latest Windows updates before upgrading to Pro
Also I’m going to upgrade via the Windows Store and purchase the upgrade from there
Any further advice in relation to upgrading ??
Thanks in advance
Martin
Old 22-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Updated Windows 10 Home to Pro today
Everything went smoothly
Also checked the Remote Desktop feature with another laptop , great feature ready for my NexDome when this damn rain will eventually stop
All data files intact , all apps intact (upgraded PHD2 to 2.6.9 dev 4 with Multistar guiding )
Windows updates disabled
Notifications disabled
Virus protection removed
Laptop dedicated Astro

Acid test will be out on a nights imaging

Thanks all for your advice and help
Old 22-03-2021, 11:59 AM
gregbradley

Good to hear. Major software upgrades are a little nerve wracking.

Greg.