Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Observation Report 30/09/10

I set up at about 19:30 sky was lovely and clear after such a long time.
I had a look at the usual pretty pictures such as Jupiter a bit fuzzy but still quite pleasant, then onto Uranus and Neptune, also took in the dumbbell (M27) and M71 Globular cluster in Sagitta before doing the Sue French "Deep Sky Wonders" "Splashing Around the Dolphin". AS&T October 2010.
there are some really challenging object in in this constellation but was able to observe most of them , a couple of the PGC and UGC objects escaped detection as the seeing was not the best.

UGC11590B and NGC 6930 where only seen with averted vision.
NGC 6928 was easy at 302xmag with the 6mm Radian, but NGC 6927 was only just glimpsed.
The Globular Cluster NGC 6934 seemed to be elliptical with some quite bright stars on the periphery. it has quite a dense core but was able to resolve quite a few stars as the seeing would allow.

I then attacked NGCLes's 'Spring Barred Spirals" from same issue.
First cab of the rank was NGC 7424, This galaxy is quite large with a bright nuculus and large defuse outer spiral arms, this surely is a must for better seeing.
NGC 1232, even though still quite low was still quite a sight in high mag.
Ngc 7479 in Pegasus, the bar was quite bright but the arms where not very defined .
Intermittent clouds interupted the rest of the night but waited around till Comet P103 Hartley2 cleared the horizon, at only 8.9 deg above my horizon I was sitting on the ground to observe it.
It is very Star like, quite bright in a 15mm eyepiece, no sign of a tail, but it was still in the haze of the horizon,so it was not a good observation.
I just packed everything away when it started raining
Phew! that was close

Last edited by astroron; 09-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
orestis

Excellent Report Ron,

Sounds like you had a great night.
Good to here someone got some clear sky.

Regards orestis
Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Thanks Mate, It doesn't look like I will get a repeat performance tonight
But hoping for Saturday
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM
pgc hunter

These obs reports are an endagered species lately - thanks for posting Ron. Looks like it'll be clear tonight and I will be attempting some of these objects. Love the Dumbell, really a sight in a med-large scope with a filter!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Thanks Seb, I have decided to post more reports as I was one of the people who wanted them in the first place
Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Robh (Rob)

Nice report, Ron.

Good to see someone getting some observations in.
I tried the face-on spiral galaxy NGC 7424 in Grus with my 12 inch at home last month but didn't get a whiff of it. It is very diffuse. The sky-glow here is about 20.4 mags/sq arcsec. I think the sky needs to be much darker.

Regards, Rob
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Thanks Seb, I have decided to post more reports as I was one of the people who wanted them in the first place
top stuff, look forward to seeing 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post
Nice report, Ron.

Good to see someone getting some observations in.
I tried the face-on spiral galaxy NGC 7424 in Grus with my 12 inch at home last month but didn't get a whiff of it. It is very diffuse. The sky-glow here is about 20.4 mags/sq arcsec. I think the sky needs to be much darker.

Regards, Rob
I've attempted IC 5332, which is a similar galaxy from outer suburbs using a 12" and managed to see a compact core with a very low surface brightness halo. These type of objects are very poorly suited to observation from anything less than a fully fledged dark site.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Liz

Lots of goodies glimpsed there Ron, including the comet, well done.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Thanks Liz the Comet was so low down that I nearly had to dig a hole to get down to see it
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Sounds like a good night, Ron. Thanks for the report.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Thank you Ron for posting that fabulous report, sounds like you had a very busy night. That bit about you nearly having to dig a hole was so funny.

I've never posted an obs report here before (feel a bit nervous truth be known), but I made lots of notes on my last few obs, so I will give it a go to post it here soon. Due to poor weather, I haven't been able to observe for a month (except for 30mts when the sky cleared one strange night), so reflecting back doing the report will probably make me feel like I'm out there again .

I will endeavour to prioritise making these reports as I feel they are such an important part of visual observers and too little of it on this forum compared to so much astrophotography here. I love reading the reports and seeing the sketches, and I know many of you'll do as well, so that being said, I should contribute as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Thank you Ron for posting that fabulous report, sounds like you had a very busy night. That bit about you nearly having to dig a hole was so funny.

I've never posted an obs report here before (feel a bit nervous truth be known), but I made lots of notes on my last few obs, so I will give it a go to post it here soon. Due to poor weather, I haven't been able to observe for a month (except for 30mts when the sky cleared one strange night), so reflecting back doing the report will probably make me feel like I'm out there again .

I will endeavour to prioritise making these reports as I feel they are such an important part of visual observers and too little of it on this forum compared to so much astrophotography here. I love reading the reports and seeing the sketches, and I know many of you'll do as well, so that being said, I should contribute as well.
Go Suzy! It will be great to read your reports and have another contributor to the reports section. For a long time I didn't understand writing observation reports, but I've found it transforms the whole experience of observing.

Oh, and you're absolutely right about feeling like you're back out there again when writing up. I find when I'm listening to my tape and typing up, I can see the objects again in my mind's eye quite clearly. When I have time to also look up the classification of the object, be it a cluster, nebula or galaxy, I find I start to understand the classification system much better and hence the objects I've observed. It's also quite interesting to then look at images of the object and I find it surprising how much can be seen in faint fuzzies quite accurately. And also that some of the patterns/asterisms that the eye sees don't show up in images.

Again I say and and
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Suzy!now you know why I have the Green Carpet, to keep my Bum dry when I have to get down really LOOOOOOW
Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Rob_K

Great job Ron, enjoyed the read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post

I've attempted IC 5332, which is a similar galaxy from outer suburbs using a 12" and managed to see a compact core with a very low surface brightness halo. These type of objects are very poorly suited to observation from anything less than a fully fledged dark site.
Just as a matter of interest, seeing as I had good dark skies tonight, I had a go at NGC 7424 and IC 5332 with my 4.5" f8 Tasco with 21mm EP (43x). Both were extremely faint, hard to hold, and not the sort of objects I would ever pick up in idly scanning through the fields - but I had their positions well nailed down in the field. NGC 7424 was a shapeless ghost-of-a-ghost, while IC 5332 was a little easier to see. I got the impression it has a slightly brighter core than 7424 - in fact that was pretty much all I saw of it I think. By contrast, the mag 11.3 NGC 7410, just a field away, was an easy spot, a nice little edge-on. A similar distance away from 7424, the faint mag 12.2 NGC 7462 was also visible, but only in averted vision because of a bright little star at one end.

Two good lessons - good skies are everything, and magnitude on its own doesn't mean much! I'd love to see all these galaxies in a 10" or 12" under skies at my place. The door's always open fellas!

Cheers -

Last edited by Rob_K; 09-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Patrick, thank you for all that fabulous encouragement (and tips too!). You put the biggest smile on my face .
So, you use a recorder ... brilliant! I will do the same. No wonder your reports are so fantastic.

Ron.. Carpet burn much.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Carpet Burn Suzy
only on my bum from sliding around.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Patrick, thank you for all that fabulous encouragement (and tips too!). You put the biggest smile on my face .
So, you use a recorder ... brilliant! I will do the same. No wonder your reports are so fantastic.

Ron.. Carpet burn much.
Thanks Suzy. The tip about using a recorder came form Les Dalrymple in a thread quite some time ago. It makes the whole process so easy. Looking forward to your reports!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Quote:
Thanks Suzy. The tip about using a recorder came form Les Dalrymple in a thread quite some time ago. It makes the whole process so easy. Looking forward to your reports!
Suzy, remember that it's not 'compulsory' to put up your obs in any formal way. Guys like Patrick & Les put up great posts that cumulatively
form a valuable archive of observations that others can refer to, but a less 'technical' report that communicates your impressions, enjoyment or the like can be just as valuable. After all, that's what drives us to do it, and keeps us going through shared experience!

Er, what I think I'm saying is that an observation report is not a test!

Good luck!!

Cheers -
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Hi Patrick, we up here in "Sunny Queensland"
have to get rid of this rain before we can do some More observing reports
Old 09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I had a recorder for years , it was a great tool till I dropped it
they don't bounce very well