Old 24-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Ingo

Nikon D3 & D300 Released

Nikon officially announces D3 and D300, lenses

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...kon-d3-big.jpg

Alright, Nikon's two new flagship DSLRs are officially announced. (Better images coming right up.) Here's what you need to know:

D3
  • 12.1 megapixel, full-frame friggin sensor! (23.9 x 36mm) Finally. ISO up to 6400 with BOOST TO 12800 & 25600!!!
  • 3-inch VGA live view LCD
  • Two (count 'em, two!) CompactFlash card slots for overflow, backup, or copying
  • New EXPEED image processor
  • 9fps in full frame, 11fps in DX crop; 51 point autofocus (with "3D focus tracking")
  • HDMI out with optional cable
  • $5000, November release
D300
  • 12.3 megapixel DX (1.5 crop) sensor
  • 3-inch VGA live view LCD
  • New EXPEED image processor
  • 51 point autofocus
  • $1800, November release
  • 8FPS with grip, 6FPS normal
Lenses
  • AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
  • AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR
Boost to 12800 & 25600 implies that 6400 base, will probably be pretty well. I wouldn't doubt this will beat out the Canon 1D Mark III.

Last edited by Ingo; 24-08-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 24-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

I seem to remember someone bagging Nikon a few days ago...questioning their dedication to the professional market. Oh ye of little faith....

Seems to have gone CMOS too...

I love this leap-frog game that Nikon and Canon have played for the past 40 years...
Old 24-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Ingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
I seem to remember someone bagging Nikon a few days ago...questioning their dedication to the professional market. Oh ye of little faith....

Seems to have gone CMOS too...

I love this leap-frog game that Nikon and Canon have played for the past 40 years...
Well Nikon has been making everything for the consumer, & from a business, I could see how that's awesome. The consumer, not everbody is going to be an amateur forever

Nikon promises to show detailed pictures of ISO 25600 soon.
Old 24-08-2007, 02:44 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

sweet! and yet just a tad out of my price range.

very cool though.
Old 24-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Jonathan

I think the D3 is a big step for Nikon. It's their first full frame DSLR, and I think it's the first sensor they've produced themselves, rather than relying on Sony to make them.

On paper it looks awesome, but we'll have to wait and see what the images it produces are like. I suspect there will be a significant improvment over the D2x, especially at high ISO thanks to the larger sensor.

A few things that have impressed me are the speed (9-11 fps), the ability to auto focus in live view mode, the 920,000 dot 3" LCD, and the digital level to get the camera level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving View Post
sweet! and yet just a tad out of my price range.
And those prices are US$
Old 25-08-2007, 11:36 AM
CometGuy

Jonathan,

Aparently a number of photographic journalists were invited to the Nikon Press release where they were able to briefly use the 2 cameras. The comments were that high ISO performance is exceptional, better than the 1D mark3. That wouldn't suprise me as the pixel photosites are larger and the technology sensor equivalent. There was also a comment that the D300 had a 2 stop advantage over the D200 at high ISO's (although that would not actually be possible without additional Noise reduction!).

I'd say Canon are wondering what hit them at moment!

Terry
Old 25-08-2007, 07:43 PM
acropolite (Phil)

It's all good news. With a bit of luck competition will drive the price of full frame DSLR's down.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Another great Ken Rockwell review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3.htm

Love the opening comment.....
Quote:
The D3 is Nikon's first full-frame DSLR to mimic the old 35mm film format, and surprise number one is that it can crank at 9 FPS. Surprise number two is that it's the same price as the D2Xs ($4,999.95), not the ridiculous $8,000 of Canon's three-day-older 1Ds MkIII
I can see Canon somehow ammending it's policy on the price of MkIII in response to the D3.

Last edited by Omaroo; 01-09-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
I can see the price of MkIII Canons plummetting in response to a better unit from a competitor trumping them fair and square.
I doubt it, the Canon is after all 21.9mp compared with 12.1 for the Nikon.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM
RB (Andrew)

A lot of people in some photography forums don't take Ken Rockwell very seriously at all.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Boy View Post
A lot of people in some photography forums don't take Ken Rockwell very seriously at all.
Why - because he's pro-Nikon?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:34 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Why - because he's pro-Nikon?
No, not at all, true photographers knows it's not the camera or equipment but rather the skill of the photographer taking the shot.
Whether one uses Canon or Nikon etc is neither here nor there IMO.

It's mainly because of some of his comments on his website.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:48 AM
robin
Brave Sir Robin

Shooting professionally with Nikon for 22 years now, I simply love the stuff but can say that Nikon & Canon are both top brands. Nikon has been a tad slow of late in forwarding new 'in demand' products to the photographic community. They kind of sat back smugly but then Canon surged ahead & they eventually woke up & took notice. Nikons new cameras & lenses will be awesome & discussion on the 'Nikonians' website is VERY excited about the new products. As for Ken Rockwell, he has his admirers & detractors. I for one read his website but DONT take his reviews as gospel as he tends to praise cheapo lenses & has a tendancy to bag the $$$ pro lenses.He raved & raved about the new nikkor DX 18-200 zoom. I bought one, had it for a week & then sold it on ebay. It,for my needs, simply didnt cut the mustard. If i want informed information on all things Nikon, I turn to Nikonians,Thom Hogan & Bjorn Rorslett....my 2 cents
BTW...Rocketboy is dead on the money when he says its the skill of the person taking the pic as opposed to the gear itself.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
No, not at all, true photographers knows it's not the camera or equipment but rather the skill of the photographer taking the shot.
Absolutely agreed. More megapixels doth not maketh the photograph.

Interesting to hear this from old Ken though:

Quote:
If I want 22 MP and had $8,000 to spend, I'd be looking at the Mamiya ZD medium format back at the same time as the 1Ds Mk III. Its the same price, but a much larger format.

Last edited by Omaroo; 01-09-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Ingo

Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.
Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.
For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.
Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.
Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth
Old 02-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Uhmm.. yep... OK

Last edited by Omaroo; 02-09-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
At the risk of pushing this thread way off topic, I know what Ingo's talking about.
Ken Rockwell does give "some good tips" on his web site but he is also a bit.... well I'll let you decide. (Just one example)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/wife.htm

Like I said he's not taken too seriously by many and it's not because of the gear that he uses but rather the comments that he makes.

Now back on topic, good on Nikon for bringing out this new gear, I think it only helps everyone to benefit in the long run. I don't like this "Canon vs Nikon" debate that you see raging in some forums.
I only started in photography because I read a review in S&T of how an Austrian guy started using his Canon 10D for Astro work. Soon the 300D was available here and I was hooked, because my dabbling in astro using film was a disaster.
I don't think it's very sensible for someone to change companies, chasing the latest gear, features, MPixels etc, once they've built up a collection of lenses for a particular brand of DSLR. Of course I would love the latest but I'm not prepared to change over now. I have no hands on experience with Nikons, so I never comment on their gear, how can I ?
This is not to say I don't have respect for their products.

In the right hands any DSLR can pull off a great photo.
That's why I was so happy to see Robin return to the forum, check out all his wonderful photos from the past !

My advice to new photographers is to not chase megapixels.
Megapixels are good as long as they're controlled well on the sensor, not to cramped together which will result in noise etc.
That's one reason why a medium formate 22mp camera is preferred.

Buy the best you can afford.
Spend your money on good quality lenses, a camera body will soon be outdated but the lens you will keep for a very very long time, I bought my 300D two years ago and it's way outdated now but my lenses still serve me well, (I still love using the 300D though).

Good luck to Nikon and anyone in a position to buy this wonderful new gear and I look forward to the photos that will be produced.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Ingo

Quote:
At the risk of pushing this thread way off topic, I know what Ingo's talking about.
Ken Rockwell does give "some good tips" on his web site but he is also a bit.... well I'll let you decide. (Just one example)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/wife.htm

Like I said he's not taken too seriously by many and it's not because of the gear that he uses but rather the comments that he makes.

Now back on topic, good on Nikon for bringing out this new gear, I think it only helps everyone to benefit in the long run. I don't like this "Canon vs Nikon" debate that you see raging in some forums.
I only started in photography because I read a review in S&T of how an Austrian guy started using his Canon 10D for Astro work. Soon the 300D was available here and I was hooked, because my dabbling in astro using film was a disaster.
I don't think it's very sensible for someone to change companies, chasing the latest gear, features, MPixels etc, once they've built up a collection of lenses for a particular brand of DSLR. Of course I would love the latest but I'm not prepared to change over now. I have no hands on experience with Nikons, so I never comment on their gear, how can I ?
This is not to say I don't have respect for their products.

In the right hands any DSLR can pull off a great photo.
That's why I was so happy to see Robin return to the forum, check out all his wonderful photos from the past !

My advice to new photographers is to not chase megapixels.
Megapixels are good as long as they're controlled well on the sensor, not to cramped together which will result in noise etc.
That's one reason why a medium formate 22mp camera is preferred.

Buy the best you can afford.
Spend your money on good quality lenses, a camera body will soon be outdated but the lens you will keep for a very very long time, I bought my 300D two years ago and it's way outdated now but my lenses still serve me well, (I still love using the 300D though).

Good luck to Nikon and anyone in a position to buy this wonderful new gear and I look forward to the photos that will be produced.

Yep...That's why a lot of people buy used equipment. They can change manufacturers easily, or just use a lens for a summer, then get what they paid right back. I know a guy here who owns 2x 1D Mark III's, 2x 30D's, a 400 F2.8, a 200 F1.8 IS & every other Canon lens below that. He might be switching to Nikon if he see's the noise control is better.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Yep...That's why a lot of people buy used equipment. They can change manufacturers easily, or just use a lens for a summer, then get what they paid right back. I know a guy here who owns 2x 1D Mark III's, 2x 30D's, a 400 F2.8, a 200 F1.8 IS & every other Canon lens below that. He might be switching to Nikon if he see's the noise control is better.
Mazel tov to anyone who can do that but for me it's not that easy, or desirable.

Old 16-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Ted’s cameras have the Nikon D300 body only listed at AU $2900

I see that Ted’s cameras have the Nikon D300 body only listed at AU $2900. Seems a bit steep compared to the US price at approx US $1800. That puts it at AU $1000 more than the Canon 40D.

Cheers

Dennis