Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 31-01-2019, 11:13 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Where to buy end covers for Telescopes

Hi all,

I have a Meade finderscope that is missing both end covers and I would like to replace them. I've been searching on the internet but to no avail.

Does anyone know where I may source these items. I looked on Meads website and found nothing.

Cheers, Fred
Old 31-01-2019, 11:44 PM
Buck

No, it's NOT a stupid question. Depending on the size of your finder scope, this site may be able to assist: https://eyepiececaps.com/
Also, if you can remove the finder scope, take it to your local chemist - explain what you need - they often have pill containers and lids of various sizes that may fit. Should only cost a token amount or even be free.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 AM
bojan
amateur

and... 3D printer cold help here (as everywhere else!) :-)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 AM
JA

If you need something just under 120mm in diameter then a Blank CD/DVD 25 or 50 pack cover ± some padding may do. Otherwise there are many photographic lens caps that would help, either of the slip on or internal grip type - see ebay for these, or go to an old world photo store, they're bound to have a 2nd hand odds and ends bin

Best
JA
Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 AM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
No, it's NOT a stupid question. Depending on the size of your finder scope, this site may be able to assist: https://eyepiececaps.com/
Also, if you can remove the finder scope, take it to your local chemist - explain what you need - they often have pill containers and lids of various sizes that may fit. Should only cost a token amount or even be free.
Hey Buck, thanks mate. I will see what eyepiececaps.com comes up with. It never showed up in my search results but perhaps I wasn't asking the right questions. I will have to see if they post to Aussie if I do find the right sizes. Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 AM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
If you need something just under 120mm in diameter then a Blank CD/DVD 25 or 50 pack cover ± some padding may do. Otherwise there are many photographic lens caps that would help, either of the slip on or internal grip type - see ebay for these, or go to an old world photo store, they're bound to have a 2nd hand odds and ends bin

Best
JA
Hi JA, the finderscope end and objective are quite small. Unfortunately a drawback of living in the remote Kimberley region is a lack of camera stores or any other for that matter. Thats why we survive through the internet. Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 AM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
and... 3D printer cold help here (as everywhere else!) :-)
Ah Bojan, the wonders of modern technology. Seems like overkill just to replace an item that is perishable overtime and needs replacing not including those that lose or break them. I don't understand why the protective caps should be so hard to procure?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:36 PM
casstony

Agena astro has a lot of different sized caps - might be worth a look.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Agena astro has a lot of different sized caps - might be worth a look.
Hey Tony, thanks for your help. I just did a search on their site for meade dust caps and came up with two choices only. Must be so many different ones. I'll measure the objective and viewing end later and see if I can find something that matches. Cheers
Old 03-02-2019, 12:54 PM
casstony

How's the lifepo4 battery going Fred? I used mine for about 8 hours recently running the mount and 2 dew heaters and it still had plenty left.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:04 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
How's the lifepo4 battery going Fred? I used mine for about 8 hours recently running the mount and 2 dew heaters and it still had plenty left.
I actually just pulled it out to check it yesterday. So far so good. I tested the USB port and that works. Now I'm waiting for a cigarette power plug with clamps to arrive so I can confirm the terminals are good and I can leave some great feedback. I will be powering several mounts at once in the future and I'm sure this beast will not even flinch. So light for so much power too. I check the seller from time to time and he is still out of stock. Glad I bought when I did. Cheers
Old 03-02-2019, 05:15 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi Fred,
I’ve bought decent eyepiece and finderscope caps on eBay. I’m not sure how big you need, but these sellers have 32-52mm diameter, and are cheap.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Lens...GOVa0-neFQb9Ag

Old 03-02-2019, 08:18 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Hi Fred,
I’ve bought decent eyepiece and finderscope caps on eBay. I’m not sure how big you need, but these sellers have 32-52mm diameter, and are cheap.

Hi Jason, thanks for the link. I will measure up and see if I can find a match. Best link yet. I knew somebody must supply them. Cheers mate