Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Paul Haese

Down an NBN black hole

Here is an amusing tale of how the NBN is being "efficiently" rolled out.

In 2014 I saw NBN techs walking around the area and doing inspections of the Telstra pits. I spoke with one of them at length about build time etc and he seemed to think it would be 12-18 months from time of commencement to accessing the NBN. About 3 months later I noted that NBN had commenced in our area. In fact by the end of that year nodes started appearing. By the end of 2015 all work had ceased and nodes were installed. One is just a mere 150 metres from our home. I made my first enquiry after the map showed the NBN was available. I was promptly told it was not available but I said the map showed that it was. We were even contacted by TPG to say we had NBN available.

I rang and had a conversation with an NBN consultant and he said NBN should be completed by the end of 2016 and after I said that the NBN map was actually misleading and deceptive, it went back to being build commenced and it has stayed that way since.

Well it is now approaching the end of 2017 and surprise, surprise still no NBN and when you look on the map it does not even have a date at which the NBN should be completed. I think we have fallen down an NBN black hole and never going to get it completed. Even contacting NBN just fails to get a response now. No wonder they have so many complaints. How about fully completing an area before moving on to the next?

Amusingly, by remote site has had NBN fixed wifi for 2 years. I might have to move down there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NBN roll out October 2017.jpg)
93.9 KB62 views
Old 19-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Unfortunately people voted for this internet scheme (LNP) amongst other things, they reap what they sow.
Old 19-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Unfortunately people voted for this internet scheme (LNP) amongst other things, they reap what they sow.
Actually I am not complaining about the scheme, and my point is not political; it is the way it is being rolled out, that is my complaint.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Wilso

Yeah I'm in the same boat.
Received a letter from NBN co in FEB saying it's ready for connecting but when you call the telecommunications co they say it's not ready for connection yet.
Old 19-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Yes, the LNP floated the idea of the NBN. The LNP rolled out the NBN. The LNP shooks the hands of those first connected with the NBN.

Yes, this is all the LNP's fault, everything about the NBN was the LNP's doing, the ALP had nothing to do with the NBN.

O' yes, the Easter Bunny is making Sant's deliveries this Christmas.
Old 19-10-2017, 08:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Here's my NBN map.

Shame I cannot upload our ADSL map - it'd almost be the same blank map (still getting 6 Mbps - made me laugh the ABC story where the Doctor was complaining he only gets 16 Mbps...joker...). Can't even get ADSL 2 or 2+ here...stuck on ADSl 1... until NBN strikes... some year...

We get on average 20 drop outs a day - that's Wifi or hard-wired, AND Mobile reception...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (nbn.jpg)
102.2 KB47 views
Old 20-10-2017, 02:49 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Yes, the LNP floated the idea of the NBN. The LNP rolled out the NBN. The LNP shooks the hands of those first connected with the NBN.

Yes, this is all the LNP's fault, everything about the NBN was the LNP's doing, the ALP had nothing to do with the NBN.

O' yes, the Easter Bunny is making Sant's deliveries this Christmas.

I usually don't get into political discussions (and this is not a forum for political discussions) but while ALP started the NBN, LNP took over after winning the election in 2013 and significantly modified the project. We will never know what may have been if ALP won the 2013 election but look who took over. It was Tony Abbot ordering Turnbull to "demolish" NBN. It was LNP who degraded it from fiber to rotten copper as it was cheaper (and let's not talk about cost blowouts). It is LNP and LNP-run nbn co who even today claim that NBN is fast enough and good enough... and you can see how good it is by the number of people complaining, even on this forum.

NBN has unfortunately become a political issue. It was supposed to be a superhighway to internet but it got ruined by ideology. ALP may have started the mess but LNP had control over it for the past 4 years. I am not trying to defend or blame anybody but LNP had 4 long years to make it good...

And now back to
Old 20-10-2017, 08:31 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Totally agree that NBN is a bad joke!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
... still getting 6 Mbps ...
LUXURY!! We've been dealing with 2.8Mbps forever on ADSL 2 in our area (Grose Vale = Sydney metro area). FTTN will be available in the new year but we won't be here. We're moving south to rural Goulburn with satellite NBN. I.e. 5 to 25Mbps and I'm almost certain it will be less than 10 most of the time. We don't stream so that speed will still be a boon for us though! Hopefully there won't be TOO many dropouts!!!
Old 20-10-2017, 10:02 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

On extremely good authority, I can confirm categorically that the mess the NBN is currently in, is mostly to do with the change of government in 2013 and the ensuing politically motivated misguided and ludicrous new approaches taken and decisions made, after that.

Sorry but even if you don't want to hear that or deny it anyway, that is the reality, so any political complaining around the NBN can really only be directed at them, not doing so is completely blinkered.

Luckily, I have fibre all the way into my wardrobe and enjoy pretty good NBN connection

Mike
Old 20-10-2017, 10:19 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Paul,

A friend in Orange has a similar story. Somehow his street at the end of a new subdivision was the only place missed in Orange. After over a year of hassling about he now has optical fibre outside his house. However getting it that last 5m will now not happen until March. Or at least that's the theory: numerous calls to NBN customer service has confirmed, almost in so many words, that they have no idea what is going on. With this lot in charge we would all be stone cold sober in that proverbial brewery.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:21 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Luckily, I have fibre all the way into my wardrobe and enjoy pretty good NBN connection

Mike
And what are you watching in the wardrobe??
Old 20-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

I the NBN was ever a good idea and a valid business proposition, The telcos would have built it themselves.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:51 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
I the NBN was ever a good idea and a valid business proposition, The telcos would have built it themselves.
Well NETFLIX is loving it. They came, they saw and they netted USD billions this year? All the talk about making OZ competitive etc... went right out of the window when the whole network got clogged with junk from day one.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:54 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
He's watching all the Julia Gillard p0rn while he can, before the AFP shut down that sick, twisted p0rn ring. Operation Welsh Ranga Roundup 2017.

One wonders if "Brown Paper Bag Julia" will ever get indicted for all the corrupt deals she made whilst PM. (I guess brown paper bag has dual meanings in her case )
Old 20-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
Exactly!
Old 20-10-2017, 11:03 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
He's watching all the Julia Gillard p0rn while he can, before the AFP shut down that sick, twisted p0rn ring. Operation Welsh Ranga Roundup 2017.

One wonders if "Brown Paper Bag Julia" will ever get indicted for all the corrupt deals she made whilst PM. (I guess brown paper bag has dual meanings in her case )
Lewis Trump
Old 20-10-2017, 11:04 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Microwaves....
Old 20-10-2017, 11:13 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Microwaves....

Be careful - it'll make you glow in the dark and causes muscle wasting

We get enough of that from Black Mountain...(just go up and read all the warning signs )

I hope you don't go to the Black Mountain carpark after dark Mike
Old 20-10-2017, 11:15 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Lewis Trump
I am gonna build a wall around Wallaroo (then it will be Wall-aroo).

Keep all those pesky italian musclemen contained
Old 20-10-2017, 11:34 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Microwaves....
You can see the CMB from your wardrobe?