Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Exfso (Peter)

NBN change

Well I finally had a gutful of IINet, continuous dropouts and extremely slow during peak periods. Seriously from 95Mbps to 3Mbps, is simply not on. They told me that they had fixed this, but it actually got worse. After much stuffing around and getting the TIO involved, I have had my contract revoked and now with Aussie Broadband without copping an early contract break fine. What a breath of fresh air, can actually talk to someone who speaks English and virtually no waiting time. My peak download speeds hardly drop from off peak speeds Still getting dropouts, but no where near as many, and in any case they had an NBN tech to my place within 24 hrs of signing up. He found an issue and fixed it, but noted that there appeared to be other problems and it would be monitored. A damn site more than IINet could achieve.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:08 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

+1 for Aussie Broadband. I hope that they can keep up there good pricing and speeds. Glad you sorted it Peter

Jeremy
Old 04-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Aussie are definitely at the top of the pile right now. Their customer service is impeccable, too (from what I read online). Mr Teo has ruined what iiNet once was.

I'm with Telecube, and they use AussieBB's Wideband backhaul. A big step up from Vocus infrastructure, and with the added bonus of not having to endure Telstra.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:11 PM
JA

Hi Guys,
We are with TPG, but not NBN yet. Can anyone comment on TPG's NBN service ?

Best
JA
Old 04-09-2017, 05:25 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
We are with TPG, but not NBN yet. Can anyone comment on TPG's NBN service ?
I've had my HFC NBN connection with TPG for only about a week but it's been good so far. I'm on a 100/40 and I generally speed test at about 94/38, though during peak "Netflix hour" (around 8pm-ish) I've seen it drop to around 70/30.

I had a few hassles getting it installed though (long story) and I found TPGs support pretty useless - as in I had to constantly chase them to get anything done. If I hadn't put in many hours of calls to them, and retell the story to a new support person every time, I still wouldn't have a connection.

The NBN tech who installed the NTD did mention that it may go out a few times in the near future because they were still installing cabling/hardware in my area.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Stay away from Optus.
Their so called "off shore assistance" needs updating more than the NBN Co.

Check out their "Help" site for more reasons.

> https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/bd-p/NBN

I should note that my 25/5 FTTN connection now functions fine, BUT, it took a long time (1st connected 15th Dec. last year), to get all the faults fixed....to my satisfaction.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I had this Indian guy come from the NBN today, this is visit no 4 btw, still getting dropouts. He was friendly enough, but was communicating on his phone the whole time he was here, turns out he was talking to NBN in India trying to sus out my fault. In the end he said your lines are fine, it has to be a dodgy modem or it is getting interference. Yeah right, I have same issues with the IINet supplied modem, so I thought I would try the interference angle, so I moved the modem about 15 metres away into the kitchen, hooked it up and turned it on, problem still happening, yeah and I tried the IINet one as well it did the same. my upstream SNR varies from zero to 6500 so in my opinion there is a huge noise issue, strange that the downstream stays solid and the SNR virtually does not vary. This is being handballed back to the NBN by Aussie..
Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

My NBN connection is fine with TPG. Is terrible to get connected. I am considering changes though as I feel TPG backhaul is a bit sus.

My connection is 25/5 as it is more than enough for my requirements.

I may consider switching to AUSSIEBB though.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:10 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Peter, unfortunately that is about all ABB can do (I am with them, have been since 2013)

Sounds from what you just wrote as though you have a number of phone sockets in the house? That is apparently liable to cause real problems with FTTN connections. Can you plug it into the demarcation point socket (The one that the Telstra lead in terminates on) having had all downstream sockets from that disconnected? The VDSL service pushes the copper a lot harder than ADSL did and lines and internal cabling that ADSL lived with happily can give you no end of trouble.

Unfortunately what you are experiencing is far from atypical on FTTN connections. Basically we (As a nation) are getting what we voted for in 2013.

Be glad you are not in a HFC area having not previously had Foxtel of Telstra cable internet. Going on news reports, NBN have just made the decision that if you are in the HFC footprint but you do not already have a lead in installed you will now go into the "too hard, back of the queue" basket. Who knows for how long, probably until the easy pickings are all gone and perhaps they can find some competent HFC installers who know how to run a lead in cable.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
I've had my HFC NBN connection with TPG for only about a week but it's been good so far. I'm on a 100/40 and I generally speed test at about 94/38, though during peak "Netflix hour" (around 8pm-ish) I've seen it drop to around 70/30.

I had a few hassles getting it installed though (long story) and I found TPGs support pretty useless - as in I had to constantly chase them to get anything done. If I hadn't put in many hours of calls to them, and retell the story to a new support person every time, I still wouldn't have a connection.
Thanks for the info Hugh I will have to research some of their plans.

Best
JA
Old 06-09-2017, 07:33 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Unfortunately what you are experiencing is far from atypical on FTTN connections. Basically we (As a nation) are getting what we voted for in 2013.
Good Ol' Mal eh.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Paul, I used to have a few sockets, they have all been disconnected now there is only a single line from the J/Box under eaves to my modem. Used to be a central splitter on this, but that was removed as well, so it is a single virgin connection, so that should not be an issue. I actually got into the ceiling and checked the line from start to finish.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:53 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Damn, so much in FTTN depends on the quality and serviceability of the copper and there is only a tiny part of it under your control.

You could be suffering due to anything from just plain od bad copper to noise from an adjacent pair to a dodgy joint somewhere in the street to just a plain old dud line card in the node. I would bet money that the node would be the last place they would look.

And it can be completely unpredictable too. You could have a (Comparitively) great and stable service that falls to bits some months later when another pair is used for another service, causing crosstalk. And for 18 months the crosstalk can come from external (Non NBN) services too!
Old 21-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Got another tech, supposedly a senior person coming out tomorrow, visit number 7. Not bad in 2 months, they really cannot find the bloody problem. Not helped by having barely trained people who can hardly speak English either.