Old 04-08-2017, 07:34 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Docters 12.5mm

Hi,

I have the Denkmeier binotron 127 with my 152mm refractor and the D14s are pretty good to my eye - Saturn looks fabulous as does the moon but I hear such rave reports about the docter 12.5mm EP that I'm tempted to get a couple for the bino. The price is however a major disincentive and I'd really like to see if I can tell the difference before even thinking of paying that kind of money.

Is there anyone in Brisbane, or Queensland even that has a pair of these, especially anyone planning to be at the Queensland Astrofest?

Chris
Old 07-08-2017, 04:54 PM
clive milne

The Morpheus might be an alternative worth considering..
Old 07-08-2017, 05:48 PM
stefang (Stefan)

Comparing a Morpheus to a Denkmeier is probably a better shootout for that catagory. The Docter's are supurb and worth every cent, but they are pricey.

SG
Old 10-08-2017, 01:06 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Well, in the absence of any positive responses to be at Astrofest replete with a pair of 12.5s ,I decided I would be the person who would be; they are now ordered and, as I type winging their way to Brisbane. Whether they are delivered in time or not may depend on the vagaries of customs but with luck, they will arrive in time. I expect to see a significant difference between these and what are to my eyes the extremely good D14s. We will see.

On a not unrelated note, does anyone have the Televue Ethos 3.7 or 4.7? I'd be fascinated to see how these perform on Saturn, Jupiter and Mars through my 152m f8.

Is there a much of a difference in say a 6mm EP and a 12.5mm with a high quality 2 x barlow?

Chris
Old 10-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Allan

Enjoy your Docters Chris, that big FOV looks very special through two eyes.

Personally I don't much care for the planetary image I see through the Ethos. They throw up so much scatter. Still, they are pretty good if that's all you have.

But, there are many options that are better and cheaper. If you have to stick with widefields and long eye relief, the Delos and Delite are better planetary eyepieces. Pentax XW's also come to mind.

Nothing beats a good Abbe Ortho for the best planetary views, if you can put up with the eye relief. Better still, put them in your bino viewer.

Good quality barlows don't appreciably affect the image, and it's certainly a good way to get planetary magnification from longer focal length eyepieces.