Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 21-05-2011, 01:39 AM
COSMOPARADISE (Nick)
Nick Ulich

Some yank paying out "DOWN-UNDERERS" for living in the dark ages

I was shocked to see this article about how an American journo spat the dummy about the way an ABC journalist described the planetary allignment earlier this month and the way the writer generalised our open minded culture. What a wanker!!! Putting all us Aussies in the same box and slandering our nation. Thinks he's BENNY ELIAS i reckon!! Wouldnt know what all the fuss is about anyway being a Soccer Goalkeeper myself... worrying about an egg shaped ball game between two states!!! FORD vs HOLDEN gets priority over all...just look out for that GIZ...he'll be on top soon and stay there for a while.
http://cs.astronomy.com/asycs/blogs/...al&utm_content=
Old 21-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

I think that most here agree with him wholeheartedly, and I certainly do. In fact I'll say that I applaud him....

"Open minded". LOL! I know there are fairies down at the bottom of my garden. Don't criticise me over my deeply-help belief, as that would obviously make you "close-minded".

The ABC need to have a long hard look at themselves and this "journalist". Astrology is considered mere "entertainment" by the majority who follow it for their own reason. I "read my stars" for a good laugh once in a while like anyone else. For a news journo to write such an article, on behalf of our nationally-owned news outlet the ABC that presents it as news, is beyond me. Astrologers are akin to failed alchemists who just kept going, and that practise died out many centuries ago. Why hasn't this?

We've already been discussing it here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=75565

Last edited by Omaroo; 21-05-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 21-05-2011, 06:00 AM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

I am with you Chris it was a dreadful excuse for journalism
Old 21-05-2011, 07:13 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Nick, you have come in on the wrong side here the people on this site are on the side of the writer of that article
Read the thread highlighted by Chris.
Cheers
Old 21-05-2011, 08:48 AM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSMOPARADISE View Post
I was shocked to see this article about how an American journo spat the dummy about the way an ABC journalist described the planetary allignment earlier this month and the way the writer generalised our open minded culture. What a wanker!!! Putting all us Aussies in the same box and slandering our nation. Thinks he's BENNY ELIAS i reckon!! Wouldnt know what all the fuss is about anyway being a Soccer Goalkeeper myself... worrying about an egg shaped ball game between two states!!! FORD vs HOLDEN gets priority over all...just look out for that GIZ...he'll be on top soon and stay there for a while.
http://cs.astronomy.com/asycs/blogs/...al&utm_content=
I can't say that my reading of that article gave the impression of any generalisations about Australians. He was unimpressed with the standard of journalism showed by the writer of the article, and also by the judgement of the ABC.
Old 21-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

I am with Adam, I cannot see any generalisation either... But the articles are interesting...
Old 21-05-2011, 01:47 PM
overlord (Charles)
Saturn Watcher

I really like astrology!

Certain males are the only ones who criticize it, and they haven't ever studied it in their life. They are guessing that it's wrong cos somebody who never studied it told them.

A woman would never criticize it as she is intimately connected to the universe as a member of the league of creation and birth.

The author is right! It IS astrologers who predict alignments. They didn't need NASA to do this lol.

Gee sorry to put a damper on proceedings but we are not all materialists here.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:11 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord View Post
I really like astrology!

Certain males are the only ones who criticize it, and they haven't ever studied it in their life. They are guessing that it's wrong cos somebody who never studied it told them.

A woman would never criticize it as she is intimately connected to the universe as a member of the league of creation and birth.

The author is right! It IS astrologers who predict alignments. They didn't need NASA to do this lol.

You don't have to be materialistic to see what a load of trash astrology is. Neither is it exclusively males who criticise it. We don't guess anything wrong...we look at the evidence as it presents itself and then base our conclusions upon that. The human mind has a great capacity to fool itself, that's why we have to be careful in believing in anything at face value.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
I can see that from your list of equipment

I read Dave Eichers blog and it smells of a 'beat up' to me. His use of the words `Down Under' with capital letters was demeaning ( I wonder whether he has ever been privelaged to see an outback Australian sky ? ) . I saw the ABC report on TV that essentially used the same transcript and I thought the tone it was delivered was in fun- the astrologers and a final comment from Fred Watson. After all the `alignment ' has no scientific significance so why not be playful about the whole thing - I thought the segment was really well done .

Last edited by Satchmo; 21-05-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:30 PM
overlord (Charles)
Saturn Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
You don't have to be materialistic to see what a load of trash astrology is. Neither is it exclusively males who criticise it. We don't guess anything wrong...we look at the evidence as it presents itself and the base our conclusions upon that. The human mind has a great capacity to fool itself, that's why we have to be careful in believing in anything at face value.
Well to be fair on you I guess you are talking about the stuff in the newspapers.

Well, astrologers DO actually look at evidence. And I am talking about professional astrologers. Every alignment has very different alleged properties, which would not be the case if evidence was not being collected.
Professional astrologers know when stock market crashes are going to happen and the current economic downturn was no surprise. There is another mighty crash coming by the end of this year and you can bump the thread then if you still think astrology is rubbish, by then. See i am like the guy in Back to the Future with that book and he can predict in advance all the sporting events. Biff is his name. Except I don't need time travel.

The simplest proof for astrology is that the planets are huge floating spheres rather close to us. They are the nearest big things to us to suggest that they have no impact is laughable.

There are also lots of different types of astrologies. For example, there is weather astrology. These people, including myself study very long term weather cycles over thousands of years. Albumasar said there was a thousand year cycle of empires and if you look at empires lasting 800-1000 years you see there is something to it. The stars can help us plot these cycles. The planet changes over a millenia with regards to various alignment cycles are like a 'cosmic clock'. They are legitimate even if they are not causal. Thus astrology does not even have to be causal for it to be accurate. IT might just be a very accurate clock which relates to earth temperature cycles. WE know there is a 1000 years cycle of changes from weather reconstructions. The cycles are there, and astrology is used to predict them thanks to an accurate cosmic clockwork.

What about the moon. Does the moon and sun cause tides, or is that 'rubbish'. Does the moon affect our moods. Science always says that it does. That isn't rubbish either. Now I think that the planets affect changes on the sun. The proof is that the sun is always changing and I don't see anything else around which could be doing it. You are also forgetting that all the greatest scientists have always been astrologers, from Carl Jung to Kepler. It is an intrinsic part of astronomy and always will be, and to suggest otherwise is an insult. I hope I don't get banned for this but anyone who criticizes the whole of astrology based on what they read in newspapers is

So basically it's highly narrow minded to say astrology is 'trash'. Only someone who hates it strongly enough not to bother investigating it would say such a thing, as everyone who has ever investigated it in depth has found the opposite. I could go on and on and on. I will always defend astrology. If you would like evidence of an experiment regarding electrical changes with regards to alignments I would refer you here. This was in the journal of electrical engineering in the 1950s. I'll go now.

http://www.enterprisemission.com/jnelson1.html
Old 21-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Oh! I see! It's a comedy thread!

Quote:
Professional astrologers know when stock market crashes are going to happen and the current economic downturn was no surprise.

Hmmm...... oh dear.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:39 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I can see that from your list of equipment

I busted a gut laughing...

Last edited by OICURMT; 21-05-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: I require spelling lessons :)
Old 21-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
If you would like evidence of an experiment regarding electrical changes with regards to alignments I would refer you here. This was in the journal of electrical engineering in the 1950s. I'll go now.

Phew...glad to see you guys are current with your research
Old 21-05-2011, 02:54 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Well to be fair on you I guess you are talking about the stuff in the newspapers.

Well, astrologers DO actually look at evidence. And I am talking about professional astrologers. Every alignment has very different alleged properties, which would not be the case if evidence was not being collected.
Professional astrologers know when stock market crashes are going to happen and the current economic downturn was no surprise. There is another might crash coming by the end of this year and you can bump the thread then if you still think astrology is rubbish, by then. See i am like the guy in Back to the Future with that book and he can predict in advance all the sporting events. Biff is his name. Except I don't need time travel.

The simplest proof for astrology is that we planets are huge floating spheres rather close to us. They are the nearest big things to us to suggest that they have no impact is laughable.

There are also lots of different types of astrologies. For example, there is weather astrology. These people, including myself study very long term weather cycles over thousands of years. Albumasar said there was a thousand year cycle of empires and if you look at empires lasting 800-1000 years you see there is something to it. The stars can help us plot these cycles. The planet changes over a millenia with regards to various alignment cycles are like a 'cosmic clock' for legitimate even if they are not causal. Thus astrology does not even have to be causal for it to be accurate. IT might just be a very accurate clock which relates to earth temperature cycles. WE know there is a 1000 years cycle of changes from weather reconstructions. The cycles are there, and astrology is used to predict them thanks to an accurate cosmic clockwork.

What about the moon. Does the moon and sun cause tides, or is that 'rubbish'. Does the moon affect our moods. Science always says that it does. That isn't rubbish either. Now I think that the planets affect changes on the sun. The proof is that the sun is always changing and I don't see anything else around which could be doing it. You are also forgetting that all the greatest scientists have always been astrologers, from Carl Jung to Kepler. It is an intrinsic part of astronomy and always will be, and to suggest otherwise is an insult. I hope I don't get banned for this but anyone who criticizes the whole of astrology based on what they read in newspapers is

So basically it's highly narrow minded to say astrology is 'trash'. Only someone who hates it strongly enough not to bother investigating it would say such a thing, as everyone who has ever investigated it in depth has found the opposite. I could go on and on and on. I will always defend astrology. If you would like evidence of an experiment regarding electrical changes with regards to alignments I would refer you here. This was in the journal of electrical engineering in the 1950s. I'll go now.

Trying to justify astrology by abusing science in using it to somehow "prove" that the mere alignment of any astronomical object will affect/effect a change in human behaviour is not only a classic case of pseudoscience and a distinct lack understanding of anything to do with science (or the nature of reality), but is also a classic case of what I wrote in my last post. The human mind's gullibility and propensity for being able to fool itself. It has nothing to do with hate, or emotions, or some "us vs them" mentality. Just a reasonably thorough look at the facts as they present themselves and an understanding of the physics involved will tell you that astrology is a waste of time. Quoting history and saying that "hey, astronomers and astrologers were one and the same at one time" doesn't cut the mustard either. Witch doctors were the family doctors at one stage, but once our understanding and knowledge of medicine, human nature and diseases increased over time, we left all that nonsense of "vapours and demons" behind. Only the illiterate and uneducated would fall for that garbage, or the weak minded and easily led.

Your whole argument has the ring of someone who really doesn't understand science at all, even if you pretend to do so. It has no legs to stand on and even less actual evidence to support its claims.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Phew...glad to see you guys are current with your research
Printed during the last planetary alignment... which of course was also predicted, even back then.
Old 21-05-2011, 02:59 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Oh! I see! It's a comedy thread!

Hmmm...... oh dear.
It's a three ring circus, Chris. Abbot and Costello meets The Three Stooges
Old 21-05-2011, 03:07 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Now, to get back to the original topic of the thread "yanks paying out "DOWN-UNDERERS" for living in the dark ages.

Yes I agree, the ABC reporter should be sent to a witch doctor and have her entrails read!

I bet she is a Sagittarian
Old 21-05-2011, 03:12 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Now, to get back to the original topic of the thread "yanks paying out "DOWN-UNDERERS" for living in the dark ages.

Yes I agree, the ABC reporter should be sent to a witch doctor and have her entrails read!

I bet she is a Sagittarian
It's Jupiter's fault....it rules in Sagittarius, even though it's in Pisces at present and was nowhere near Sagittarius when they first started compiling astrological tables
Old 21-05-2011, 03:19 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
It's Jupiter's fault....it rules in Sagittarius, even though it's in Pisces at present and was nowhere near Sagittarius when they first started compiling astrological tables
Sooooo . . .

in reality it is the Ophiucuns fault!

Oh, that's right. They left Ophiucus out coz there aren't 13 months in a year
Old 21-05-2011, 03:26 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Sooooo . . .

in reality it is the Ophiucuns fault!

Oh, that's right. They left Ophiucus out coz there aren't 13 months in a year
That's only by convention

In any case, 13 is supposed to be unlucky. Can you imagine what someone's (horror)scope would be if they were born at the time of year Ophiucus was supposedly "prominent"!!!

Ophiucus (21/12-20/13)

Ten black cats will cross your path today
and a major thunderstorm will park itself over the top of your house
Flight 13 from N.Y. will crash in your backyard and leave a 66.6m wide crater
Your bank will default on your credit and the FBI will investigate you for insider trading
Your citizenship will also be revoked
Have a nice day.....loser!!!!!.

Closed Thread