Old 27-03-2016, 10:16 PM
JDStellar

Where to go from here

So I have been interested in Astrophotography for sometime now, and have been shooting widefield nightscapes for around 3-4 years now but its pretty clear to me that I am definitely heading towards more serious telescope based astrophotography.

So far my kit for astro includes;
Canon 6D
Samyang 14mm
Sigma 70-200 (2.8)
Sigma 24-70 (2.8)
Canon 40mm Pancake Lense
---
Skywatcher Star Adventurer w/ EQ Wedge, Ball head Adapter, Tripod.

I am really considering shedding some gear to buy myself a good starter scope, or, If i can manage, a small light OTA that I can mount onto the Star adventure with the DSLR.

What I really feel is that I am in a bit of a fork in the road, but i figure a good intermediate step would be a small OTA, either that or completely getting rid of the Star adventurer and just getting myself a good EQ Mount, that way I can upgrade to a scope later on. Sadly, money is a big limiting factor, especially with this hobby.

Any wisdom from more seasoned astro veterans would be kindly appreciated, and if somebody has found themselves in this position yourself, what would you personally recommend?
Old 27-03-2016, 11:03 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Save yourself a lot of heartache and money and be brilliant with what you have already got
Old 28-03-2016, 01:40 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

How have you been finding the SW Star Adventurer? It looks like a nifty little gadget.

Maybe decide on the sort of scope you're going to get and then select a mount to suit. I'm sure you already know about all the most common mounts out there. If money's real tight then compromise on the size of the scope not on the mount. I don't have any astrophotography experience, but just based on visual use, I think the bare minimum for AP with a scope (even just a small one) would be an EQ5.

Perhaps you can save money by buying the mount head only and making your own sturdy tripod. Here is a nice example: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...8&postcount=15 --- which I myself also intend to follow.