Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 31-08-2015, 04:22 PM
johngwheeler (John)

How do you plan & organise your observing sessions?

OK, I'm relatively new to my (rediscovered!) hobby of astronomy. I've bought a 6" Maksutov-Cassegrain and an AVX mount, and have decided to add a 4" Refractor to the collection for "grab 'n go" and possible AP.

So I've got the telescope, learned how to set it up, downloaded some software and reference material....and now I just have to start observing.

But what? And how do I select from the vast number of objects that are visible?

It seems to me that some kind of "plan" would help me get the most from my observing time, rather than just going back to the few objects whose position I've learned, or randomly scanning the sky. (I do have some binoculars for the latter, which can be fun in its own right, although any findings also need to be noted for future reference, otherwise it's too easy to forget what I've seen)

What do experienced amateurs do?

Assuming the majority of this forum are not research astronomers who are looking for something very specific, how do you decide what to look at on any given night?

If you are an "all rounder" with a general interest in everything up there, do you dedicate a certain amount of time each session to particular kinds of objects? e.g. I'll start with wide field study of open clusters (while the scope cools down), then look at visible planets, then some double stars, then work my way through a list of DSOs?

Or do you dedicate a particular session to one kind of object depending on the conditions? e.g. very good seeing is reserved for planets, remote dark sky sessions (or star parties) for nebulae and other DSOs.

Do you work through any particular lists or catalogues? I have heard that going through the Messier objects is a good exercise, (although not completely feasible for those of us who live in Australia). I do wonder whether simply "ticking items off the list" somewhat removes the joy of discovery - but then again, I imagine many astronomical discoveries were made by just such a methodical approach.

Should I select objects based on the time of year for optimal viewing? I have one list for the southern hemisphere that shows the best month for viewing (high elevation), and this seems like a reasonable approach to go through a list.

I want to keep the hobby exciting and emotionally satisfying - not just a chore to get through "x DSOs" per month.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 31-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Hi John,

All good Qs. Firstly normally we try to plan to avoid a full moon. You are in Sydney so far more likely to get clear skies then us here in Melbourne S

Secondly, each person normally decides beforehand what targets they wish to see/image. If you are doing visual, it is a lot quicker to set up (well, hopefully!) so can do more targets. There are plenty of methods to help you choose - if you are new, try going for the 'classics' which are bright and easy to spot. Once you feel comfortable navigating the night sky (goto, or hopping) then you can try the more faint fuzzy stuff.

To choose what to see there are a few lists on IIS (for example, galaxies listed by brightness). I find using a planetarium software very very useful as you can punch in your location and most can generate a list of 'best targets'. I personally like going through the Messier catalogue first as they are relatively easy to see and have lots of literature for you to read up on. As the weather conditions can change I would say for a variety - galaxies, nebulas, clusters etc. This way if the seeing is bad or things aren't shaping up, you have come prepared with backup options and not waste valuable dark sky time with looking at a computer screen worrying what to look at.

Just go to a few sessions and you will eventually work out a routine that works best for you!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:21 AM
johngwheeler (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meru View Post
Hi John,

All good Qs. Firstly normally we try to plan to avoid a full moon. You are in Sydney so far more likely to get clear skies then us here in Melbourne S

Secondly, each person normally decides beforehand what targets they wish to see/image. If you are doing visual, it is a lot quicker to set up (well, hopefully!) so can do more targets. There are plenty of methods to help you choose - if you are new, try going for the 'classics' which are bright and easy to spot. Once you feel comfortable navigating the night sky (goto, or hopping) then you can try the more faint fuzzy stuff.

To choose what to see there are a few lists on IIS (for example, galaxies listed by brightness). I find using a planetarium software very very useful as you can punch in your location and most can generate a list of 'best targets'. I personally like going through the Messier catalogue first as they are relatively easy to see and have lots of literature for you to read up on. As the weather conditions can change I would say for a variety - galaxies, nebulas, clusters etc. This way if the seeing is bad or things aren't shaping up, you have come prepared with backup options and not waste valuable dark sky time with looking at a computer screen worrying what to look at.

Just go to a few sessions and you will eventually work out a routine that works best for you!
Some great suggestions here! I've got Stellarium (fantastic for free software!), and Sky Safari on my iPad. I like your idea of having some "backup" observing plans, because sky conditions can change very rapidly here, and I also have quite a few obstructions (tree's, hedges etc) in my back yard, so often find what I want to look at is just in the wrong place at that time.

I think maybe what I'll do is select and area of sky of say up to 4 constellations (with a couple of backup areas), and draw up a list of objects within this area for study. If there is some specific that's worth looking at elsewhere (e.g. Moon or a planet) then I'll add that as an exception.

This way I should slowly learn the position and contents of the constellations better.

Thanks,

John.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:47 AM
miker

Hi John,

I am starting to reduce the number of objects I view at each session.
When I first got a GOTO mount I was trying to look at as many objects as I could each session just because the GOTO could locate them for me. Then I realised that a wasn't really seeing/absorbing much from the quick view of each object.
A couple of good observing books like those by James O'Meara and and Sue French will help you get more out of each object and slow you down to just one or two objects most sessions.

https://booko.com.au/9781107015012/D...-Southern-Gems

https://booko.com.au/9781554077939/Deep-sky-Wonders

Don't forget Double Stars open up another really interesting area, particularly when the moon is up or light pollution is washing out the DSOs.

http://www.shopatsky.com/double-star...all-telescopes

Michael
Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Can you hook up your ipad to your mount with Skywire or Skyfi? Once it's aligned you can see on the screen where the scope is pointing.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

John,
As per earlier comments I also find that fewer targets per session is more rewarding allowing one to really explore the target and let the fine detail emerge with time at the eyepiece. I also limit my targets to near culmination to give the best chance of seeing as much detail as possible.
The list you compile and the sources you use I guess will depend on your area of interest. There is a lot out there. I find myself returning time and again to the Aust. Sky &Telescope and Astronomy 2015 Australia for ideas.
In addition to static items to observe, I find having a list each month of events to observe to be an excellent way of adding interest to observing sessions. I always have a list of Luna occultations, observable comets, minor plant oppositions, planetary moon events and so forth. They become mini observing projects. For example I set out to observe as many of the Jupiter mutual moons events in the last 6 year cycle. I managed to observe 10 of these events. Another ongoing project is to observe one each of all the different events for Jupiter's moons, ie occultations, eclipses, transits, ingress and egress events etc for each of the four visible moons. This is taking a while to complete as it is harder that you would think. I always have Luna occultations on hand and will chase grazing occultations visible within Tasmania. The list of events to chase is almost endless.
Cheers
Steve
Old 01-09-2015, 12:19 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

I use Stellarium to give me an insight in to what constellations are where. I then use NGC/IC Project's website to generate observing lists. I have built a spread sheet that can then take that data and present it to me in a printable A4, numerous pages, observing list by constellation. I then have a master register of what I've observed in NGC/IC/M order.

I can then take that and create say a Messier Marathon like I did for myself at the Ice in Space camp back in March.

I always find it a good idea to have a few sections of the sky covered. No point focussing North, for instance, if it's clouded out North but crystal clear South.

As others have said don't rush. If you have missed it this Winter/Autumn it will be back same time next year

Hope that helps.

Wayne
Old 01-09-2015, 01:22 PM
JoelyE95 (Joel)

I always find myself using a program called AstroPlanner. It shows you in real time in a list what objects are (or are not) visible for any time. For example where I live, the program shows you that I will never see M81 and M82 out of the whole Messier Catalogue. It has something like 120+ different catalogues and allows you to create your own lists. It also can download images of the region of an object and show you what to look out for. Furthermore, it can be set up for your particular telescope and eyepieces to show you your field of view and what you should see, as well as in your finderscope.

It is free for a trial, but I have attached the Messier and NGC Catalogue for AstroPlanner for you to try out.

Joel
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sample AstroPlanner Catalogues.zip (443.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-09-2015, 02:11 PM
johngwheeler (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
Hi John,

I am starting to reduce the number of objects I view at each session.
When I first got a GOTO mount I was trying to look at as many objects as I could each session just because the GOTO could locate them for me. Then I realised that a wasn't really seeing/absorbing much from the quick view of each object.
Michael
This makes sense to me, and yes, I have been a bit "goto happy"! The novelty of it makes it hard to resist for a beginner

I'm thinking of getting a bit more organised and choose maybe half a dozen items to study per session - i.e. observe deeply and note observations, with a few backups in case of cloud cover or changing conditions.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 PM
johngwheeler (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Can you hook up your ipad to your mount with Skywire or Skyfi? Once it's aligned you can see on the screen where the scope is pointing.
I don't have a SkyFi, but have successfully connected a tablet with Stellarium to control the mount via a USB-to-Serial cable. It seems to be a much better experience than using the hand controller.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM
johngwheeler (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelyE95 View Post
I always find myself using a program called AstroPlanner. It shows you in real time in a list what objects are (or are not) visible for any time. For example where I live, the program shows you that I will never see M81 and M82 out of the whole Messier Catalogue. It has something like 120+ different catalogues and allows you to create your own lists. It also can download images of the region of an object and show you what to look out for. Furthermore, it can be set up for your particular telescope and eyepieces to show you your field of view and what you should see, as well as in your finderscope.

It is free for a trial, but I have attached the Messier and NGC Catalogue for AstroPlanner for you to try out.

Joel
Thanks for this; I'll check it out.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Wombat68 (Trevor)

I found this site invaluable as a reference (huge thanks to Rob Horvat the creator for this fantastic site)
It gives downloadable sheets of targets to view on a monthly basis. Well worth a look
https://sites.google.com/site/southernastronomer/
Old 01-09-2015, 04:14 PM
JoelyE95 (Joel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngwheeler View Post
Thanks for this; I'll check it out.
John,
Sample screenshot for you with just the Messier Catalogue.
Green is what is above 20d elevation, Yellow is between 20d and 10d, Orange is below 10d.
Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Astroplanner.jpg)
202.4 KB36 views
Old 01-09-2015, 08:27 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelyE95 View Post
John,
Sample screenshot for you with just the Messier Catalogue.
Green is what is above 20d elevation, Yellow is between 20d and 10d, Orange is below 10d.
Joel
+1 for Astroplanner. The other thing that can be incredibly helpful for visual and imaging work alike is building a custom horizon for each observing site you configure. Allows you to know when an object is going to be visible, or obstructed behind a tree or building. Very rare for me not to use this almost everytime my telescope comes out. Stellarium etc fantastic for navigating, but Astroplanner the starting point often what objects to chase and where the moon will be. Also helps you figure out best months if you really want to see something not currently visible.