Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Do U love Windows 10?

Has anyone any good experiences of Windows 10 installation and/or use to report?

Trevor
Old 29-08-2015, 01:08 PM
RB (Andrew)

We've got two threads already running on the topic of Win 10 with feedback from users:
Check these out too.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=135409

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=138049

RB
Old 29-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

I know, and I have commented. They are mostly dissing it, and I am interested in positive feedback in this thread.

Trev
Old 29-08-2015, 09:40 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Seems to work well on my Surface Pro 3.
I actually think there were a few things that were better for a touch device in Win8.1 than in 10 but it's much nicer the way all (well most) settings are now in their new interface, and the new browser "Edge" is very nice to use (which is good as Chrome and FF really suck with touch). I really like the notification panel thing, which I'm really looking forward to having when I upgrade my desktop box and eventually my workstation.

I haven't tried too much software but Photoshop CC, Lightroom, Premier CC, and Pixinsight all run fine and as expected.
In general the only minor stability issues I've had have been with the Edge browser, everything else has run really well with no weirdness or crashes.
I can't comment on drivers as the SP3 is made by MS so you'd expect the drivers to all work, which they do.

I used to spend a lot of time customising Windows (and even longer with Linux) but now I'm lazy and generally happy to use Windows in a mostly default way, plus I like a lot of the extra things that modern Windows does, like syncing some account settings across computers and some of the little things that make life easier. I can see how these things don't work for some people though and if you're someone who holds on to the concept of a lightweight OS that just does the bare necessities needed to run applications then Windows 10 isn't for you (maybe try OpenBSD with Blackbox).

I've mentioned the touch stuff here as I'm using the SP3 but it works really well with the keyboard on as a traditional laptop. I also think it will work well on a desktop with a more traditional setup, mouse/tablet+keyboard, better than 8.1
Old 29-08-2015, 10:02 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

So far, so good. Bit the bullet yesterday and let windows update from 7. Painless, took about 1.5hrs to complete.

Only had 2 small issues to do with old versions of software that were easily updated.

I like the look and feel so far. I like the search/command bar at the bottom of the screen.

Seems to run lighter on my h/w than 7, uses a little less memory.

Give me a few more days.
Old 30-08-2015, 03:18 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

All good here.

I've installed it on 4 laptops and a tablet. Two laptops were upgraded from Windows 7 (the oldest is 5 years old), and two from Windows 8.1 (both came with Windows 8 originally). The tablet was built for Windows 8.1.

All are running fine, no hardware or software compatibility issues, no loss of data or applications, and no dramas with any of the upgrades. All are running at least as well as they were before, and the slowest machine now boots noticeably faster than it used to.

Two thumbs up from me.
Old 30-08-2015, 03:56 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I too have found the installations and the operations very good. The installation does take quite a while but that has always been expected so I left it on during a long period of non-use.

As long as operation goes I've have absolutely zero problems at all of managed to operate all of the software that I need to use on the computer, plus the user interface is still a downside lot better than windows 8.1. This I think of only had one pick-up during the process and that's where the icons on my desktop at being rearranged. But I must admit I'm one of only very few people that do this.

I have also updated my Windows 7 laptop and that too has also worked really well. The speed of the computer has not changed and every single program that I use on the computer is also functional. I did have a small upgrade issue with a piece of software that I was using but I think that was the version of the software itself.

The new browser Windows Edge Also surprisingly looks and feels quite good very similar to Google Chrome. Unfortunately I won't using it for a while until Norton antivirus can place a additional interfaces into Edge.

The me definitely worth the change but I don't do anything very extensive on this computer as compared to a dedicated computer in the Observatory when I complete it.

The one good thing that I think that can be implemented from the upgrade is that if you don't like it you can always downgrade without too many problems. I haven't tested that feature though.
Old 31-08-2015, 08:40 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Day 4 with W10.

Stability in general is good. Have had a few issues with Edge hanging on some sites, seems to be always to do with embedded videos. Which is funny, as some things that didn't go well in IE11 on W7 work fine in Edge on W10 and vice versa.

On the downgrade, I read you have 30 days from upgrade to perform this if you wish to go back. But I don't see any reason to realistically, people who say I don't like the UI experience should try driving European cars for a change with the control stalks reversed
Old 31-08-2015, 08:44 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
people who say I don't like the UI experience should try driving European cars for a change with the control stalks reversed
Nothing wrong with that. Just gotta seat on the other side of the car.
Old 31-08-2015, 10:51 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
On the downgrade, I read you have 30 days from upgrade to perform this if you wish to go back. But I don't see any reason to realistically, people who say I don't like the UI experience should try driving European cars for a change with the control stalks reversed
I did try this on my SP3 when I was bored just to see if it worked. It did!
And then I re-upgraded to Win10 and it too worked as expected.
Old 31-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Garbz (Chris)

There are good things to say about it. Personally I don't think it's too bad except for the privacy issues. I'll run through a few thoughts here:

Good:
- Virtual desktop support FINALLY!
- Dragging windows to the desktop edge intelligently brings up a list of all other windows to maximise on the opposite edge. This is a huge productivity boost for me.
- Integration with windows account makes backing up encryption keys and the like very good.
- Resource usage is excellent. Windows 10 feels snappier and seems to run a bit better than Windows 7. I would put this down to placebo if it weren't also reflected in some synthetic benchmarks.
- Stability has been fine.
- Interface is better than Windows 8 in all regards, and far better than windows 7 when using a touch screen.
- Onscreen keyboard, handwriting recognition, voice recognition are all much better.
- There's a notification system which tracks persistent notifications. This is good as there's an indication of when something happened so if you miss the little pop-up bubble it's no longer the end of the world.
- The file copy dialogue is excellent in my opinion, and no longer a cluttered mess when doing multiple operations.

A few bad things which haven't been mentioned in other threads:
- I'll skip the whole forced windows updates, and privacy issues, they're detailed in the other threads.
- The control panel replacement is still quite poor and doesn't include all the features. Worse still they've removed a link to the control panel so the only way I've figured out how to start it is to type "Control Panel" into the search.
- A lot of the settings and control for the computer is really dumbbed down which makes it hard to do some more technical things like setup a VPN.
- A personal gripe is that the brightness control now works in steps of 25% which isn't fine enough for my liking. Windows 8 had a slider.
- The side bar has a notification section, this is good. The bad part is the notifications aren't obvious in their nature. Some require actions (do virus scan, you have an email, etc), some were past events that are now irrelevant (choose what happens when you plugin your camera, oh you already did). I'm hoping they fine tune this.
- The integration with the Microsoft account can get a bit messy. I have found that to sign in on a local account is fine, but then when you sign in with a microsoft account it wants to send you a pin code with an sms. In the process the email app (not outlook itself) got its account information screwed up.
- The default email program is called Outlook (not to be confused with Outlook installed with the office suite, they are different).
- The default note taking program is called OneNote (not to be confused with Onenote installed with the office suite, they are also different).
- I have so far found no use for the start menu tiles. This may be a personal taste thing.
- Cortana the much lauded feature of Windows 10 doesn't work in Australia.
- A tablet issue is sometimes Windows gets confused as to the state of the keyboard and doesn't show up the onscreen keyboard when I need it. This sucks when it happens at the login screen and thus requires a reboot.
- Speaking of tablet mode. ... don't. We don't speak of it either. It's useless. Just pretend the button doesn't exist. The so called "continuum feature" ended up being a useless non-starter for me and in desktop mode my tablet ended up being far more useful.
Old 31-08-2015, 05:45 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz View Post

- A personal gripe is that the brightness control now works in steps of 25% which isn't fine enough for my liking. Windows 8 had a slider.

If you click on your power settings icon, then right click the screen brightness, you can set in 1% increments via a slider.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:12 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
If you click on your power settings icon, then right click the screen brightness, you can set in 1% increments via a slider.
I too miss the brightness slider from 8.1. Thanks for the info but this work around is pretty useless on a touchscreen - which is where a lot of people, myself included, are going to want to use it...

Anyway I've now also upgraded my desktop gaming/TV box plus my workstation. Both are working really well, very happy so far
Old 01-09-2015, 03:15 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Thumbs down

Nope ... not now ...

Back to Win7 Ultimate 64Bit and loving it.

Flash...
Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Nope ... not now ...

Back to Win7 Ultimate 64Bit and loving it.

Flash...
What didn't work for you?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
What didn't work for you?
See here ... just scroll down to my post #82

Col.....
Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
See here ... just scroll down to my post #82

Col.....
Ah thanks, interesting. Are you using wifi or a lan?
I ask as, although I haven't had any issues with either, a mate of mine had what sounds like similar network issues with Win10 on his SP3 and he recons it's Win10 not playing nicely with his DLink router (though I have the same model router and same model SP3 and mine seem fine so I'm not so sure).
Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Ah thanks, interesting. Are you using wifi or a lan?
I ask as, although I haven't had any issues with either, a mate of mine had what sounds like similar network issues with Win10 on his SP3 and he recons it's Win10 not playing nicely with his DLink router (though I have the same model router and same model SP3 and mine seem fine so I'm not so sure).
Using N600 TP-Link Modem / Router via WiFi to 2 Machines
Both are connected via Wireless Power Point Adapters with Ethernet Ports.
Works really well....except transfer speeds to my WD Cloud at the Modem / Router is woeful ~7Mb's per sec.

It takes a 2Gb movie ~5mins to go from my ' main ' Machine to my WD Cloud.... tragic ..

Col...
Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Using N600 TP-Link Modem / Router via WiFi to 2 Machines
Both are connected via Wireless Power Point Adapters with Ethernet Ports.
Works really well....except transfer speeds to my WD Cloud at the Modem / Router is woeful ~7Mb's per sec.

It takes a 2Gb movie ~5mins to go from my ' main ' Machine to my WD Cloud.... tragic ..

Col...
I also have and N600 and experienced the same problem at my old address. I always chase a problem with my own computer. After I moved with exactly the same set-up all my problems ceased to exist. It seems that the ADSL 2+ connection was full of problems that prevent my modem from operating well at all. After moving the ADSL 2+ connection is stable and all the experiences in network ceased on all operating systems as well.

I noticed that most of the problem occurred on Window 8 at the old address and Windows 7 was not as noticeable but still there.
I don't think your problem is Windows 10 except the ADSL connection or PPP connection causing all the issues. It was definitely mine.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:01 PM
sharkbite
Look up!

Just like to say my w10 upgrade experience has been painless.

All 3 machines upgraded in an hour or two without losing anything.

The low end lappie running 64bit now runs all my astro software just fine -
with W7 it really struggled with performance.

here is what i have tested:

EOSMOVREC
Autostakkert
PIPP
Castrator
Registax
Sharpcap

Sharpcap in particular is streets ahead - i never got above 7fps at 1080p resolution on a lifecam. now it can do the full 30fps.

i have a dual core e6750 serving family duty - everything is a bit snappier performance wise - boot up from cold is about 20 seconds where w7 took about 40.

At the Media Monster 6-core end there has been less of an improvement - can't really tell if its better, but i suspect the high end CPU/GPU was hiding any problems with w7.

All in all pretty i'm pleased with the upgrade and my sympathies to those that have had issues