Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Allan

G'day Scott. Road in is Thunderbolts Way which is a pretty decent main road. So nothing like getting to Lostock. There is a couple of creeks at Bretti for collecting water if you bring your own shower along. The only facilities are toilets. No power either.

Weather there is similiar to Lostock type conditions. So the way it rolled at IISAC last weekend is pretty much how the weather works at Bretti as well. It is much darker at Bretti though and that is it's main quality. SQM at Lostock was around 21.3, but at Bretti I have seen up to 21.8 in the past. When it gets to that it does feel noticeably dark.
Old 25-03-2015, 10:13 AM
glend (Glen)

Scott just adding a little to Allan's comments, here is a link to some information on Bretti Reserve (which is managed by Gloucester Council).

http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=605

You can find more information on the Net by just doing a search on 'Bretti Reserve'.

It sits at the junction of two small rivers, so there is plenty of water around for showers (but you cannot drink it - so bring your own drinking water).

It is a popular 'Free Campground' and thus is on the Grey Nomad circuit and there are always a few caravans positioned at spots down by the river. We usually try to setup at the far end from the entry road on a flat spot just east of the green toilet shed.

As Allan indicated it is one of the darkest places we have found so far, and its better than Chaffey Dam up near Nundle.

Just one word of warning: It is a popular spot for family camping during the school holidays and can get crowded during that period. Large groups from Newcastle, and other places sometimes setup there during the holiday period and can be noisy. However, its a very big area and it is usually possible to get away from them, and Bretti Heights was used during the September School holiday period last year (which corresponded with the New Moon). Bretti Heights is the first ridge above the valley floor to the south of the main camping area. It's a little further to walk to the toilets but that is one factor that makes it usually available. There is a flat top area on the ridge that is fine for camping, but bring a shovel - the reason being that cows occasionally are allowed to graze on the reserve (not during the holiday period that I know of) and the little piles they leave behind might need to be moved from your camp area.

Finally, power; there is no electricity at Bretti, which is part of it's charm in my book; but this means you need to be self-sufficient in power, whether its batteries or a generator or solar panels etc. If your going to be running your scope all night, especially if imaging, you need to know how much power you will need. Obviously running generators late at night is not a good idea for your neighbors but during the day and early evening they are fine (especially when you can shroud them in some way).

If you have a caravan your taking along there is plenty of flat area on the valley floor, but up on the ridge there is less space for caravans but I have seen them up there.

Looking forward to seeing you there. Remember NSW School Holidays does not finish until Sunday the 19th, so if you go earlier expect it to be busy. After mid-day on the 19th they will be leaving and it will revert to the quite spot we all like so much.
You can probably meet up with someone heading up there on that day so following them is an easy option to finding the place and the access road. It's paved all the way down the hill to the valey floor and then gravel and dirt for a few hundred metres across the valley floor.

I may not get there until Monday the 20th as I have a family function on Sunday in Sydney but there will be others there on the 19th I believe (Ulrich will be I think).
Old 26-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I'll add that there are a couple of good cafes in Gloucester, so if you're roughing it by tent then that's a good option too.

The Bretti Heights area is a fairly long flat area that we tried out when the main field was occupied. The added bonus up there is that the horizon is slightly lower and buys you a little extra time if the fog rolls in. However, it may be a little more susceptible to cattle incursions, as Glen described!
Old 29-03-2015, 09:41 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Hi all. I won't be at Bretti until the 20th. I haven't had more than three days at home in one stretch for six weeks now and some maintenance jobs need to be done! The 12 days between our Easter camp in Oberon and my trip to Bretti are much needed.
Old 29-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwahl View Post
Current thinking is that I go to Bretti on the 20th for however long the weather holds up to 5 days max.
April 20th seems good for me for Bretti also.
[standard disclaimer re weather and SWMBO]
Old 30-03-2015, 11:15 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

geez i am tempted!

just don't know whether i will have recovered enough

geoff
Old 31-03-2015, 07:01 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

I'd like to see you (and your port!) there Geoff but don't go unless you are sure you're OK. In the past when recovering from illness I have felt fine sitting around at home but much worse when I tried to get out and about.
Old 31-03-2015, 08:24 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

your right Ulrich
when i have had to walk any distance, i have not fared so well
i think i have to start walking a bit more regular

geoff
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM
skullmurphy

Hi everyone,

Well as the 20th April seems the popular choice for start day of April camp at Bretti I will change from the 19th to 20th.

I will also be trying out a rental camper trailer for the camp after going to the the Camping Supershow at Rosehill the week prior to see if the old 2wd 1995 hilux ute can at least tow a somewhat lighter low spec camper trailer before buying a decked out one for trekking to star camps and other parts of Australia.

Anybody had experience with camper trailers for use with normal onroad travel with occasional offroad use....???

See you on the 20th.

Skull
Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Allan

Quite a bit of difference between Bretti and heading just a couple of hours inland.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
183.0 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
172.3 KB24 views
Old 03-04-2015, 03:19 PM
glend (Glen)

Allan, typical BOM catagorisation, mostly the Mid-North Coast forecast is accurate for the coast fringe areas like Taree. The Hunter area forecasts suffer the same problem, they might look terrible for Newcastle but once you get to the upper valley things are very different. I know from your past comments about flying over the coast cloud band, that your aware that while cloud might be covering the coast it can be clear 50 kilometres inland.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for finding a useable location further inland as a destination, but Bretti is not that bad, and certainly better than the coast most of the time.

Last edited by glend; 03-04-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Allan

That Bretti forecast is for Mount Seaview which is north of Bretti. But you are right, at least Bretti can be better than the coast.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:36 PM
glend (Glen)

Just a quick reminder about the April New Moon trip to Bretti. NSW school holidays finishes up on the 19th, so from the 20th onward Bretti should be ideal for astronomy. Too soon to judge the weather but we are due for a good one.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

thread is a bit quiet folks!

who is getting their gear to-gether and watching the forecast?

geoff
Old 10-04-2015, 06:44 PM
skullmurphy

Hi Geoff I certainly am looking forward to Bretti in 10 days...... I definitely need to get away for a few days......

The rental camper trailer mentioned earlier will be a new experience and hopefully BETTER weather is on the agenda and the dob can do its thing.......

Will you be going and have you got an observing schedule for objects you want to see at the camp ???

Skull
Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

i am looking for every reason i can muster to have a trip away

observing schedule! - what is that? - i just look up at whatever argo navis says is up there

if weather is a bit iffy i might not even pack the scope - a few days just camping will do just fine
have to find time for a couple of jobs on the van though

geoff
Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Allan

I am heading off this Sunday morning and touring around for a week before I have to head back to work. I would love to get to Bretti with you guys but work has gotten in the way this time around. I thought I would head out west for a change, and I've found a few places that might be good for observing.

I hope the weather is good for Bretti week and everyone gets in some good observing and imaging.

I am going to SPSP in May, but I plan to be at Bretti as long as the weather is co-operating from June onwards for the rest of the year.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:43 PM
glend (Glen)

Going back through recent posts it looks like Skull, Ulrich, Allan_L, and myself have indicated that we will try to be there on the 20th onward - weather permitting of course. So Owl you should have company there if you go.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:27 AM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

LONG RANGE FORECAST = Freezer Suit Weather

geoff
Old 11-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
...out west... I've found a few places that might be good for observing.
Do tell Allan
I have the van booked for a service Tuesday afternoon, but after that ...