Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quick Review of the 130mm Sky Rover

Well I have had this scope for a few weeks now and I have to say, the weather gods have been shining all kinds of their glory on me

I have had it out a few times but as of yet haven't really set it through its paces. At this stage, it has almost had more use by others than myself! A bit over a week ago I had it out at Eltham College when I was running the "Far" side of their "Near and Far" topic for science week. Had this set up along side my 10" LX200 for night time viewing. Got the LX200 aligned and running, pointed it at Saturn, started on the Sky Rover and didn't even get the first star in view before throngs of parents and kids came out! Pointed it at the moon and was surprised at how close my "by eye" polar alignment was. I digress however.

Only bought a diagonal (WO 2" Dielectric) for it a few days ago so tonight was my first half decent view with my Televue's (cloud came over the moment I sat it on the mount!!!) but that was mostly just moving from one side of the sky to the other trying to get glimpses of ANYTHING through the cloud holes hehe
Over the course of 15 minutes I did manage to catch about a dozen star clusters with my 35mm Panoptic (~26x magnification), Jewelbox, Wishing Well and a bunch around Sagittarius.

I have briefly dabbled with some astrophotography between the clouds yet again *sigh* with my new QHY9. Have determined that with my current spacer and the 0.8x flattener reducer I get ~17-20% vignetting from a KAF-8300 sensor (ran a flat field through CCD Inspector) BUT... Let me iterate, this is with 45% field curvature! My spacing is 11mm too far back. I have a feeling that this will drop considerably once I get my spacing correct (two weeks maybe?). Without the flattener I get a very low 3-4% vignetting. Considering putting my D700 on there tonight and seeing what I get with a full APS sensor.

Now that I have done a fair bit of rambling I should probably get into some of the very few insights that I do have.

Focuser:

Comes standard with a custom made 4" focuser build by United Optics. From my playing around, it feels very solid. Has a 100mm draw tube, pretty sure it is a 10:1 micro focuser, capable of rotating both the entire focusing assembly AND just the rear cell area. I am yet to get any slippage, haven't found a need to tighten the "slip bolt" as of yet although I cannot say that my QHY9+CFW2 is the heaviest of units an the flattener/reducer are overly heavy (~1.8kg).

The ONLY issue(?) that I have found so far is that when the draw tube is extended past 70-80mm while being pointed at zenith with 1kg+ on it, it doesn't pull it back in without a bit of external pressure (helping it up). I guess the only time that this may be an issue for myself could be when I put my Nikon DSLR on the back without the flattener. That is still a maybe, not sure how much back focus it requires yet.

All in all, I am happy with the focuser. I am getting ~10% tilt at the moment but I am not sure whether there is a bolt that I need to tighten on the focuser that I haven't or whether something needs to be tightened on the QHY9+CFW. More testing is required when I actually get some clear nights.

Tube and such:

The tube and the like are made by United Optics and from what I can tell, very well constructed. Has a retractable dew shield, seems to work well, haven't had any issues yet. Although it hasn't had much use mind you. The CNC tube rings are very solid, the whole lot is very rigid in fact. Appears to be very high build quality. Not sure what else to say about it!

Optics

This is where I'll probably have to get someone else to do some real testing! I know my eye sight isn't the best and that I have some colour blindness. So, looking for testing volunteers?

What I can say... Last week I had the best views of the moon I ever had! Had a 12mm Meade Series 5000 EP in when I was out at Eltham College, was a reasonably clear but windy night. Feels like it slaughters the best views I've had of the moon through my 10" SCT. I guess this stands to reason with the ~40% central obstruction that it houses.

The very brief views I had of some star clusters tonight were good, just had the clutches unlocked on my EQ6 and roving about he sky with my Panoptic. Stars were pin point and pretty good out through to the corners although I felt I could see some distortion. To me it looked a little bit like coma so I am assuming that that is just the lens curvature, what I get for visual with a low powered EP without a flattener

All in all, from my VERY limited observational time with it, very happy with the sharpness of the optics, especially when going on the moon and even on a windy night.

Conclusion:

So far I am really happy with it, even if I haven't really had much of a chance to use it yet! Should have something arriving from Precise Parts within the next fortnight which will get rid of the 45% curvature and, to my understanding, should reduce the 20% vignetting down a bit as well. I could be wrong but it my mind it should After checking the weather all day today and looking forward to some clear skies (cleared up at 5, clouded over by 6:30 ) I was planning on seeing how much curvature I get without the flattener, was not to be though. Maybe Tuesday night!

In the not too distance future I think I'll need another pair of eyes to do some real optical testing, I don't think mine are really up to the task hehe When I get my spacers and stuff worked out I'll be able to do some "first light" stuff!
Old 31-08-2015, 09:06 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The ONLY issue(?) that I have found so far is that when the draw tube is extended past 70-80mm while being pointed at zenith with 1kg+ on it, it doesn't pull it back in without a bit of external pressure (helping it up).
There should be an adjustment to increase the pressure on the focuser pinion/shaft - you could tighten it just a little to increase the lifting power of the focuser and minimise any lateral movement of the drawtube.

Is the scope an fpl53 triplet or fpl51 (or equivalent glass) triplet? No chromatic aberration around bright stars?
Old 31-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
There should be an adjustment to increase the pressure on the focuser pinion/shaft - you could tighten it just a little to increase the lifting power of the focuser and minimise any lateral movement of the drawtube.

Is the scope an fpl53 triplet or fpl51 (or equivalent glass) triplet? No chromatic aberration around bright stars?
Planning on fiddling with the focuser a bit when my adapter arrives from Precise Parts, possibly not too worth while trying anything when I am using compression rings without the flattenener.

The telescope is a FPL53 triplet, I haven't yet really pushed it. From
The little I have seen I haven't seen any chromatic aberration yet. Planning on trying my 4x Powermate + 4.5mm Meade Series 5000 on the moon and some bright stars in the future. Just need a clear night with half reasonable seeing just to make sure that the sky conditions will not be a potential cause.
Old 31-08-2015, 12:12 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Great scopes these Sky Rovers , how about giving Melbourne's resident 'refractorholic' , MattT a PM ? , you will find him in the ATM section under 'Gaunt gets a RA' , pretty sure he will jump at the chance to check your new scope out , as I jumped at testing Brian3's 115mm Sky Rover out a while ago , yes these are very good APO;s in all ways .

Enjoy and look forward to hearing more .
Brian.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Great scopes these Sky Rovers , how about giving Melbourne's resident 'refractorholic' , MattT a PM ? , you will find him in the ATM section under 'Gaunt gets a RA' , pretty sure he will jump at the chance to check your new scope out , as I jumped at testing Brian3's 115mm Sky Rover out a while ago , yes these are very good APO;s in all ways .

Enjoy and look forward to hearing more .
Brian.
I do remember reading when you'd been out to have a look through the 115mm, it was one of the reasons I gave the 130mm a serious look Been in contact with Matt, I am going to see if he is available on my next stargazing venture
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 PM
JRC (John)

I have one of these Sky Rover 130s as well an I have to say its excellent value. im getting it out again tonight here in Lindfield in northern Sydney. I still haven't got it properly set up yet.

Great views of Saturn; clusters etc etc takes magnification very easily and hardly any abberation of any sort. Just a bit heavy - triplets are but excellent value for this aperture and quality of view.

It needs a G8 or better G 11 to mount it ; Vixen sphinx sxd (the big one) is OK too.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC View Post
I have one of these Sky Rover 130s as well an I have to say its excellent value. im getting it out again tonight here in Lindfield in northern Sydney. I still haven't got it properly set up yet.

Great views of Saturn; clusters etc etc takes magnification very easily and hardly any abberation of any sort. Just a bit heavy - triplets are but excellent value for this aperture and quality of view.

It needs a G8 or better G 11 to mount it ; Vixen sphinx sxd (the big one) is OK too.
I am going to start setting up in an hour or so, been having a lot of issues but that's been software related and not the telescope. Had an adapter arrive (flattener to QHY9) two days ago so I'll have a chance to get something up and running this evening.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 PM
P.K. (Peter)

Hi Colin I hope you are enjoying your Sky Rover 130. I am thinking of getting one or a Skywatcher Esprit 150. I am tossing up between something thats a bit more mobile and cheaper or something that has a bit more light gathering capability.

I have talked to Chris at Astronomy Alive and he was very helpful and free in giving advice. His thinking is that the Sky Rover has much superior optics but I'd really appreciate anymore impressions or pictures you have of your scope.

Cheers...Peter
Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
Hi Colin I hope you are enjoying your Sky Rover 130. I am thinking of getting one or a Skywatcher Esprit 150. I am tossing up between something thats a bit more mobile and cheaper or something that has a bit more light gathering capability.

I have talked to Chris at Astronomy Alive and he was very helpful and free in giving advice. His thinking is that the Sky Rover has much superior optics but I'd really appreciate anymore impressions or pictures you have of your scope.

Cheers...Peter
I am enjoying myself with it, great little telescope! When I was planning on buying my first astrophotography setup I did consider the Esprit 150mm but ultimately decided against it in part on cost. It is more expensive to buy, being bigger and all. For me it also would have meant a mount upgrade, I have an EQ6 Pro which is great for a 130mm refractor but I personally feel that a 150mm is getting to the limits of what that mount can hold, especially once you've added other things onto it, being 15kg for the telescope without accessories.

I cannot comment on the optical difference between the two but the Sky Rover does perform well, I haven't heard anything bad about the Esprit series either (considering an Esprit 80 myself for wide field). May not be up to the same optical quality or corrections as a Tak or TEC but they're also a third of the price

http://www.astrobin.com/231416/ - Orion Nebula that I took very early yesterday morning.
http://www.astrobin.com/231385/ - Small Magellanic Cloud, taking it from Melbournes northern suburbs and imaging over the city light cone, doesn't do NGC 292 justice! This is on my todo list for dark skies
http://www.astrobin.com/224233/C/ - NGC 2070 with Ha
http://www.astrobin.com/219363/C/ - NGC 2070 just RGB

My processing abilities probably don't do it justice either
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Thanks Colin for your quick review. And some good results too. I look forward to more "in the field" info. The specs do suggest this is a fine instrument, even if the ad blurb on AA website does not (WTF is "exotica level astronomy").

Not that I'll be able to afford one, but I'll be following this with interest
Old 17-12-2015, 05:44 PM
skysailor (Peter)

I'm just about to buy one, I must say that Cris (of AA) has been very helpful with all sorts of information/suggestions regarding my purchase - thanks Cris.
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it and begin using it, a bit of a steep learning curve after such a long break from any observing but it will be fun I'm sure.
I have some good friends who own several acres North of Mansfield and I'm pretty sure the scope will end up "living" there, lovely "dark" skies....
cheers
Old 19-12-2015, 11:01 PM
skysailor (Peter)

Well I ordered it today, pick it up next Wednesday, and my favourite nephew (who is an engineer living in the U.S.) has told me he's getting a set of five Pentax SMC-XW eyepieces as a Christmas present for me, so that's me all set for a while.... looking forward to getting the scope and beginning to learn all about it in detail...should be fun.
A "special" thanks must go to Cris of AA for all his help with this purchase, honest - knowledgeable assistance is worth it's weight in gold...
cheers
Old 20-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Cannot fault Cris for customer service at all

I really should take the scope out one night and actually do some visual work, only done it briefly once or twice between the clouds. If you don't have a diagonal, I would suggest you get one. What I did notice with my two TeleVues is that it didn't have enough back focus to achieve focus without it, only by a cm or so. Not that you'd want to do visual without one anyway, you'd have to lay on the ground to look overhead
Old 20-12-2015, 11:15 AM
skysailor (Peter)

Thanks - Cris set me up with a very special diagonal, so all's well.
Can't wait to get my hands on it.
cheers