Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 05-05-2018, 07:51 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Explore Scientific 20mm 100 deg

I have had the Ethos 21mm and now have the above mentioned ,Could not get accustomed to the Ethos and proved to be a very expensive disappointment ,bought the ES on iis to give it a go and love it ,Sharp edge to edge and most notably the contrast of stars .
I just wanted to find out if anyone has had the same experience as i have ,Read many reviews on both eyepieces and basically think those who think the Ethos is superior must be on something exotic or are most of the reviews you see just people talking out of their neck ,Any feedback would be appreciated.......
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

What was the issue with the 21 ethos, I have one and don’t have any trouble using it any of my scopes.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:43 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I suppose it's down to the one mans meat thing,I've found the contrast better especially in the colors of stars in the ES ,As sharp and a lot easier to look through with similar ER,The question that i asked was of anyone who has viewed through both and what their findings are as it was a shock to me ,Just took a punt on the ES and happy i did.....
Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Wavytone

I've looked through Ethos' on several occasions, mainly on other peoples scopes... not terribly impressed.

IMHO these ultra-extreme wides are like a party trick, amusing at first, but not optimal in 2 or 3 respects.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Andrew,

I've looked through both in a range of telescopes, from my f8 refactor to an f4 18" reflector. Both did the job happily in that both were quite sharp to the edge, gave a nice contrasty field and were relatively easy to look through. I found it hard to separate them, although the Ethos might have had a slight edge in edge-of-field sharpness in the f4 scope. I don't remember any contrast/colour difference like you suggest as I was mainly concentrating on field sharpness at the time (and I didn't want to hog someone else's scope or eyepiece too much!), but I came away more than happy with my "cheap" ES vs the Ethos. It performs very well even in my 12" f5 scope without a coma corrector.

(In response to Wavytone's comment, I must admit though I am not a huge fan of the ultra-wide fields. The 20mm ES 100 is the only one I will ever have. If I have to turn my head to see the edge of the field I feel that for me they are simply too wide. In fact at one stage I acquired a 13mm Ethos and sold it in favour of my 13mm Nagler. The smaller eyepiece is a lot easier to balance in my 12" scope too!)

All the best,

Dean

Last edited by SkyWatch; 08-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Hi Dean and thanks for the feedback,Very happy with 20mm there was something that just didn’t feel right with the 21mm Ethos for me that is and when I first looked through the ES it just felt right and enjoyed it ever since .
Old 18-05-2018, 09:25 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Thanks for the thread i was wondering about the difference i these two eyepieces myself. The 21mm is just far too expensive. I do prefer my naglers and looking forward to clear skies so i can try the 20mm nagler type 5 i grabbed not long ago. I do have an ethos 13mm and had the 17mm burr sold it as i found kk was not using it like i did the naglers. Just smaller and lighter. The ethos 3.7 110 degree eyepiece has limited use as well and requires really steady viewing conditions.

Thanks again. This thread helped answer a few questions i had about the two eps.
Old 26-05-2018, 05:35 AM
Don Pensack

My own experience was the reverse, with the 20mm ES displaying a fair amount of outer field astigmatism. This is in an f/5 scope with a Paracorr coma corrector, so a very flat field with no coma.
That being said, it's a bargain, price-wise, especially now with the sale price.