Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Ian Robinson

My good old Epson Stylus CX6500 combo has died . Dammit.

Wanted to scan a document last night but the scanner made strange sounds and then the printer died.

Tried turning it back on but the lights that usually come on at the start of the startup routine only stayed on momentarily.

Found this morning that it was able to turn it on now , and it goes through the startups normally , and I was able to print some stuff (as a test) but it died again when I tried to operate the copier mode.

Computer gurus ..... you reckon it's worth taking it to a repairer to be fixed or should just keep it as a printer until I run out ink cartridges (I've still got 2 spare blacks, and 1 or 2 of each colour to use) and buy a new Combo printer ?

( I like the looks of a https://www.epson.com.au/products/mu...710W_specs.asp and they sell for only about $300 just not sure about going from a 4 ink printer to a 6 ink printer.)
Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi,

You might find they just don't repair them any more. About 2 years ago I tried to get a simple repair (broken drive belt for the print head) for a HP inkjet. No takers. HP advised that they did not stock spare parts for the current models!!

Unless you really need the scan/copy function, I'd just use up the ink and then go shopping. Personally I always buy a brand in which you can use generic ink cartridges. Not everyone agrees with that, but genuine ink is far and away the most expensive part of having a multifunction now. I have a Brother, and it drinks up generic ink with no trouble.

Cheers
Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
MakMan

Ian
There is an authorised Epson repairer in Adamstown. Have just dropped in my TX800FW for a warranty repair. Don't know much about them as I haven't picked it back up yet. Details are:
Advanced Works, Unit H / 132 Garden Grove PDE Adamstown NSW 2289, Telephone: (+61) 02 4952 6001
Email: admin@advancedworks.com.au Website: www.advancedworks.com.au
Might be worth a call
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

I'm always doubtful about multifunction devices. If you've got the space a scanner and printer probably do a better job than the combo.

I got tired of feeding the inkjet cartridges and bought a Canon colour laser. I know the full set of long-life cartridges will cost as much as the printer, but the saved frustration of blocked jets is worth it.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Ian
Have you looked for any chat groups on the net? My Canon printer died allegedly because of a full ink cleaning pad. A check on the net found similar irate Canon users. The problem was that Canon has a counter which decides when the printer will die presumably after a certain number of ink replacements. A kind soul on the chat group provided the instructions for resetting the counter (which had reached 100) back to zero and hey presto the printer sprang back to life. A check on the ink cleaning pad showed it was almost clean but it was soon brought back like new by washing it in some detergent water. Maybe you can find a similar fix for your printer.
Cheers Peter
Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Ian Robinson

I don't need to scan of copy anything at present, so I'll just consume the unused ink cartridges and then I'll buy a 710W.

Got enough ink to last maybe 6-9 months at the usual rate of consumption.

I've been very pleased with the CX6500 , been a great performer and I've found the multifunction aspect exceptional and often very handy.

It's the scanner part that's died, the printer function is still fine. I don't fancy taking to a repairer and being without a printer while it is waiting for them to actually do something. Considering a brand new 710W will only set me back $300 , it's probably cheaper to turf it when I run out of spare inks .