Old 11-10-2020, 08:28 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Synscan has dementia

Hi,
My NEQ6/Synscan is randomly losing the plot. For instance, tonight I slewed to Jupiter, then scooted across to Antares. When I entered Jupiter again, the scope slewed to somewhere around the SCP. When I entered Saturn, the handset displayed "slewing" but nothing was happening. The coordinates displayed did not change either.
It's not the first time this has happened, and I don't know what's going on. I've tried the factory reset a couple of times, but the issue remains. Its happened both before and after fitting the Rowan belt upgrade.
The mount is a couple of years old, handset is v5, SynScan v4.2. Maybe I need to re-flash the firmware? Has anyone had similar issues?
Cheers
Stephen
Old 11-10-2020, 09:04 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I used to have similar issues. My handset failed shortly after. On the advice of many people I have moved to the EQMOD system and use SharpCaps Pro's polar alignment feature... and haven't looked back.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:47 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Thanks Jeff. I hope mine doesn’t suffer the same fate, it good to be able to set up quickly without computer etc...
There’s a new update for SynScan, released a week or so ago, so hopefully this will sort things out.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:13 AM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I might add, if you set up in the same place all the time and can mark where the tripod goes, aligning becomes a few minutes using software rather than 2 star align, polar align, 2 star align, polar align and so on.
I cannot recommend it enough.
Best of luck with the handset, with the lockdown I can't get anything done with warranty (Saxon) until we are allowed to have 'non essential' businesses opening. If you ask me, a Telescope importer is essential in a lockdown period ......
Old 12-10-2020, 01:07 PM
RyanJones

Hi Steven,

Check your power connector. They can become loose internally and they cause the handset to become unresponsive and confused.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 13-10-2020, 06:35 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Thanks Ryan you're spot on, there are power issues. It's not the internal connector but a voltage issue. I'm going to start another thread