Old 21-05-2012, 09:20 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Synthetic Luminance with LRGB

Is anybody out there extracting synthetic luminance from their RGB data and integrating it with luminance data collected in the traditional way with a Luminance filter?

I have 7 hours LRGB data (4+1+1+1) from a faint target at f/8 and want to make the absolute best of use of what I have. If anybody is already doing this I'd love to hear how you are doing it and how successful this has been.

If there's interest then I'll also post what I discover in my own experiments...

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 21-05-2012, 01:22 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I did it a while ago with PI just to see if/how it was possible. IIRC I took the integrated R, G, and B images, registered/aligned them with a reference L frame, used pixel maths to add the R+G+B, then just added that into the list of L frames to integrate. Pretty sure that's how I did it, anyway
Old 21-05-2012, 01:59 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I did it a while ago with PI just to see if/how it was possible. IIRC I took the integrated R, G, and B images, registered/aligned them with a reference L frame, used pixel maths to add the R+G+B, then just added that into the list of L frames to integrate. Pretty sure that's how I did it, anyway
That's approximately what I'm currently planning to try tonight, thanks Troy. I was going to build a synthetic Lum from R+G+B and then do a noise evaluative integration of that and the real (integrated) Lum. Will be interesting to see how effective that is.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:03 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

here

flip down to synthetic luminance tutorial
Old 21-05-2012, 02:16 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Thanks, Brendan. I had a quick look at the tutorial and will have a detailed read tonight.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:29 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

BTW with my data, the L subs were 1x1, but the RGBs were 2x2. The PI star alignment automatically resized and aligned them perfectly, didn't skip a beat.