Old 09-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Krypt0 (Adri)

Introductions

Good Morning All,

I have recently joined the forums in hopes to learn and have a place to discuss Astronomy and AstroPhotography.

I have found the audience for this is very small offline, at my place of work I have only one other colleague of about 6000+ that has any interest or appreciation for whats involved.

I am a Hobbist Photographer and use a Canon EoS 5D Mark 4.

I was planning on getting a telescope mount (Skywatcher NEQ6) on Saturday however metro Victoria is now in Level 3 restrictions and so I'm not able to pick it up, I may need to ask if the shop can deliver it, although I don't know if they can be at their place of business for the same reasons in order to achieve that.

I am currently doing non tracked photos on clear nights with 14mm Rokino, 100mm Canon L Series Macro and 50-500mm Sigma Telephoto Lenses.

I have done some editing on my stacked Orion Nebula images and Milky Way shots with Photoshop. I also had a chance to edit a really amazing exposure of the Carina from my friend with LRGB and Ha to do a trial of Pixinsight.

I'm undecided on my AstroPhotography build, I've had a lot of challenges making decisions on what I want depending on the types of imaging I want to do (nebula or galaxy or both) and a separate rant on Australian retail pricing for Triplet APO's which I won't go into here.

I follow AstroBackyard, Chucks AstroPhotography, Dylan O'Donnell on YouTube and Instagram and also Dr. Becky for general Astrophysics and a channel run for the Hubble space telescope.

Sorry for the long intro, thanks for everyone's time.

-Adri-
Old 09-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Welcome to IIS
Look like you have already done some research into the hobby which is a great start
I spent about 8 months reading books , journals, looking at YouTube’s , visiting telescope shops etc.. before I bought my 1st telescope. It’s really important to get some fundamental information and background before jumping in the deep end with this hobby
If your intending on buying an NEQ6 Mount for visual and or Astrophotography then I’m happy to provide my step by step information to set it up. I have a few Skywatcher mounts which I use in Sydney and at my weekender south coast NSW. I’m 4 years into the hobby with so much still to learn ( still a beginner)
Don’t hesitate to ask questions no matter how simple or irrelevant they may seem, there are many IIS members willing to help you along your Astro journey
Good luck and Clear Skies
Martin
Old 09-07-2020, 12:49 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

Welcome from another newcomer. Lots to learn, lots to find here and a pretty helpful bunch too.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Krypt0 (Adri)

Martin/Jeff,

Thank you both for the welcome.

You're not wrong there is so much to learn.
I might raise another thread in the more relevant parts of the forum about what I would like to build and challenges I can see coming up from it.

-Adri-
Old 09-07-2020, 01:16 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Best thing to start with is to join a local astro club and take it from there. It will save you a lot of guessing and also money in the long run.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Krypt0 (Adri)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Best thing to start with is to join a local astro club and take it from there. It will save you a lot of guessing and also money in the long run.
Hi Marc,

Thank you and I totally agree! I've been looking at Astronomical Society of Geelong and also the Astronomical Society of Victoria, its unfortunate that Melbourne Metro is now in lock down, I may have to delay joining any groups until afterwards.

-Adri-
Old 09-07-2020, 01:30 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt0 View Post
Hi Marc,

Thank you and I totally agree! I've been looking at Astronomical Society of Geelong and also the Astronomical Society of Victoria, its unfortunate that Melbourne Metro is now in lock down, I may have to delay joining any groups until afterwards.

-Adri-
A lot of members and managers of these astro clubs are already here on IIS so I'm sure if you place a call in general chat or other they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Krypt0 (Adri)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
A lot of members and managers of these astro clubs are already here on IIS so I'm sure if you place a call in general chat or other they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
That's great to know! Appreciate the help.

-Adri-